This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956047 by CommanderB
21 May 2020, 13:48
gumshoe wrote:Indeed. It seems unlikely to me that a man who’ll base his campaign to be re-elected in six months on how he saved America from the ‘foreign virus’ will suddenly fling open the doors and welcome all those nasty diseased foreigners.

True..... but we're dealing with the most unprepared and erratic president in modern history. So there is no telling what's going to happen.
#956058 by Tigerlilly
22 May 2020, 18:29
FLYERZ wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:
OMG , I hope not. 2 days ago he was saying they need to open up and get the economy going, and nothing generates cash like tourism does. Back to nail biting I think. This is the THIRD time I’ve booked this trip, I was hoping it was third times the charm .

Doesn't the FCO guidance supersede whatever US restrictions there are? My understanding is that even if the US or other countries were 'open' if the FCO guidance is against travel then travel insurance may become void?

FCO advice is just that, advice. I’m fortunate to have a policy that covers me to travel even against FCO advice as long as all local guidelines are followed. I’m terrified that if they don’t get back in the air soon there will be zero airlines left in the near future.
#956060 by Tigerlilly
22 May 2020, 19:27
FLYERZ wrote:That policy must be gold dust. Didn’t know such thing existed. Seperately I wonder how credible this is: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.stan ... html%3famp

It was a very good annual policy with Aviva , and I was surprised myself lol. I feel the government is crippling the industry at this moment whilst at the same time refusing loans to help them rise it out. It’s a joke .
#956062 by FLYERZ
23 May 2020, 06:40
VS schedule resumption of meaningful passenger flights from July 1st (as it stands, may change particularly given 14 day quarantine announcement).

Reported by routesonline: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-22may20/

Summary:

London Heathrow – Hong Kong 1 daily
London Heathrow – Lagos 1 daily
London Heathrow – Los Angeles 1 daily
London Heathrow – Johannesburg 1 daily
London Heathrow – New York JFK 1 daily
London Heathrow – Tel Aviv 1 daily

The rest of passenger service to be resumed as early as 13JUL20.

I’m due on one of the VS rotations on 8th July - wonder whether I will be transferred onto the sole daily flight (VS3 Dep 9.05am/Arr 11.55am) particularly if lots of passengers have already cancelled/deferred?

Also to note - VS will expand their current cargo operations still using PAX aircraft adding Brussels, Beijing and Chicago.
#956067 by sunshinebob
23 May 2020, 16:13
After whinging on here that Virgin need to update their bookings to reflect that flights will now be (a) going from LHR rather than LGW and (b) that the seating plans will all change without the 747's I was delighted to see today that my booking was indeed updated.

Its a shame that I wont be in the bubble for one last time but I was pleased to see that we had been allocated a pair in PE on the replacement 330 and not shoved in the middle.

I have booked a hotel the night before at heathrow too and keeping the gatwick one there just in case. Its a pain as we fly into LGW thw day before and now have to transfer to Heathrow. Things could be much worse of course.

Flying to Barbados on the 20th of Jan.
#956084 by uktigger
25 May 2020, 18:12
Not impressed with the withdrawl of the 744's.
Summer next year is down for VS75 to be a 332, so my seat width in PE has dropped from 21" down to 18" - only 1" more than Economy.
Indeed, the UC seat on a 332 is 1" narrower than a PE seat on a 333!
GO FIGURE !!
#956088 by flyingfox
25 May 2020, 21:00
The tentative resumption of flights is to key destinations only, one on the east coast (JFK) one one the West (LAX) but since the introduction of the 14 day quarantine the start date in July will likely keep slipping until that restriction is lifted.
#956094 by VS075
26 May 2020, 08:55
uktigger wrote:Not impressed with the withdrawl of the 744's.
Summer next year is down for VS75 to be a 332, so my seat width in PE has dropped from 21" down to 18" - only 1" more than Economy.
Indeed, the UC seat on a 332 is 1" narrower than a PE seat on a 333!
GO FIGURE !!

The Upper seat on the A330-200's are different to the rest of the fleet. As for PE, the A350's new seat is only 18.5" wide which isn't a problem for me being slim, but it does represent a downgrading of the product by virtue of the space being cut. If you're lucky, some airline's Y seats are that wide. It's why moving forward I will struggle to justify PE over Economy/Economy Delight depending on the aircraft.
#956178 by Christo
01 Jun 2020, 10:03
Should I be concerned...should I contact Virgin...or will it all just work itself out?! Thanks in advance...

Originally had return flights UC LGW-ANU for May/June. Virgin moved them for us to 29th Oct outbound returning later in Nov. All good.

However, when I logged into the booking today (to check if we had been moved from LGW to LHR) I find that there are now 3 flights showing. The first is LGW to ANU and says under it "Passenger Status - Contact Delta". The second flight is LHR to ANU but on the day before 28th Oct which will not connect with our flights from ANU to EIS and is therefore a problem for us. The third flight is the return ANU to LHR which is fine, different timing but it still works for us.

Why are there now three flights showing. What does Delta have to do with it. And why has the outbound date been changed?
#956183 by CommanderB
01 Jun 2020, 11:14
Christo wrote:Should I be concerned...should I contact Virgin...or will it all just work itself out?! Thanks in advance...

Originally had return flights UC LGW-ANU for May/June. Virgin moved them for us to 29th Oct outbound returning later in Nov. All good.

However, when I logged into the booking today (to check if we had been moved from LGW to LHR) I find that there are now 3 flights showing. The first is LGW to ANU and says under it "Passenger Status - Contact Delta". The second flight is LHR to ANU but on the day before 28th Oct which will not connect with our flights from ANU to EIS and is therefore a problem for us. The third flight is the return ANU to LHR which is fine, different timing but it still works for us.

Why are there now three flights showing. What does Delta have to do with it. And why has the outbound date been changed?

As VS have ceased operations at LGW, the ANU flights have moved to LHR. If it is under the same flight number, I expect the now defunct LGW departing flight to cease being on the booking at some point. As to the change of date, it is possible that ANU is not running from LHR daily and therefore you've been put on the next closest flight. Best to contact VS and check, but thats my guess.

The only reason Delta is mentioned is because VS use DL's booking system "under the hood" and thats one of the things that VS haven't yet modified (whether they will remains to be seen). But it basically means "contact the airline".
#956186 by mitchja
01 Jun 2020, 11:26
I've seen the same thing happen with several DL bookings. The new and old flights both show on your booking initially but the old one then drops off a few days later.

As for the date difference, you will need to speak to VS about that.
#956187 by Christo
01 Jun 2020, 11:36
Thank you James & CommanderB,

That makes sense. In which case I will wait for the old LGW flight to disappear and in the meantime start looking for a hotel for the night as we can't change our connecting flight from ANU. There are worse things I suppose than having to slum it in Antigua for a night!

Seat selection doesnt seem to work at all on the new flights. It allows you to do it but then just returns an error message when you click confirm. Perhaps something else that will shake itself out eventually.
#956188 by CommanderB
01 Jun 2020, 11:47
mitchja wrote:I've seen the same thing happen with several DL bookings. The new and old flights both show on your booking initially but the old one then drops off a few days later.

Yeah, exactly. I've done a couple of same day changes on DL connecting flights with a VS transatlantic on the booking. It does the same thing there, where your new earlier flight goes onto the booking and the old connecting flight stays there. It's super gnarly. The first time I ever did it, I rang VS to make sure they made a note on the booking to protect the inbound, so I wasn't down as a no-show for the original flight.
#956192 by Christo
01 Jun 2020, 14:12
Thanks James,

I got a WhatsApp message back from Virgin saying:

"At the moment there is a technical issue with logging in to book seats. The engineers are still working on it. please try to log in each day to book the seats"
Virgin Atlantic