This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956317 by Camperdown9
10 Jun 2020, 14:34
Hi

Hope its ok to ask this?

In the late 1980's and early 1990's Virgin flew Gatwick via Moscow to Tokyo. Does anyone have a 1989/90 timetable? If so can anyone tell me what the flight numbers and schedule was?

Also I was looking at facebook the other day and a guy in Seattle posted a few photos of a VS 346 at SEA. Apparently Virgin used the A340's for a week last November on the LHR-SEA route. This got me thinking did Virgin ever use the 744's on the HKG, JNB, NRT, PVG, LOS, CPT, DEL, BOM, routes?

Grateful for any info.

Thanks

Alex
#956326 by jakedonson
10 Jun 2020, 21:26
A fun thing you can do is go to jetphotos.net (https://www.jetphotos.com), type in an airport, go to modify search and select 'Virgin Atlantic' under airlines, and the go to the last page to see the oldest photos. I don't think it goes as far back as 1980/1990s but still some very interesting photos.

For example, these are the oldest photos of VS at Hong Kong (Including Chek Lap Kok): https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos.php?aircraft=all&airline=Virgin%2520Atlantic%2520Airways&category=all&country-location=all&genre=all&keywords-contain=3&keywords-type=all&keywords=Hong+Kong&photo-year=all&photographer-group=all&search-type=Advanced&sort-order=0&page=7
#956349 by Virginlondon
12 Jun 2020, 20:54
I will have a timetable inc Tokyo via SVO at my parents in the loft. When I can go inside I will try and find it. I have lots of Virgin stuff from that era.

It was operated by the 3rd 747-200 G-TKYO. I think G-VOYG followed shortly after for JFK.

At the time the first 747 G-VIRG flew to Miami and charter to Orlando. All economy downstairs. The other G-VGIN to Newark. Good days.

I think the 747-400s went east after 9/11 with the smaller airbuses heading to the USA.
Virgin Atlantic