This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956513 by ColOrd
29 Jun 2020, 09:17
10th of March I grabbed a right bargain, £1300 Upper to Seattle for my birthday at the end of September. Out via LA on the 35K and a DL Connection and back direct. I booked it in seconds (I love the 35K and there's always something special about flying into LA for me!). In a handful of WhatsApp messages convinced my best mate to come with me and using my miles for his ticket we were all set, just let Coronavirus blow over and surely by September it would all be over and we would be sitting with a day in the Clubhouse (We were booked on the 23) sipping Red Heads and planning our trip to the Boeing factory!

Flash forward a few months, and the US Coronavirus numbers are awful and getting worse, and a family health issue (nothing to do with Coronavirus, but an awful time for it to happen) for my best mate means he can't go and I don't really want to do the trip on my own as we had planed it out in great detail and would seem wrong.

I spent best part of an hour trying to get through to VS yesterday, but when I eventually did, it was to a lovely lady working from home.

For my best mates ticket which was now totally redundant, that was cancelled in a few clicks and miles refunded. I then had the choice, either take the refund for the taxes which was quoted as "up to" 120 days. Or I was offered 83,000miles and 200Tps. I took the miles and TPs as to buy 83000 was about £1200! I thought it was a good deal and gives me about a quarter of a million to play with.

For my ticket as a revenue booking I could have taken an open ticket, rebook without fare difference up to November for Seattle or rebook to another destination. Well its my 35th, which I class as a semi-big birthday, so I really did want to go away in September, so I got her to look at Barbados for me. There was a £200ish fare difference for BGI, but I had no idea what the hotels were priced as. My lovely angel of an advisor put it all on hold for me and told me to go away and check the hotels and she would call me back at 3pm.

Almost on the dot she rang me back at 3 and after finding the Barbados Hilton for a decent price (I'm HH Diamond and I've been there before) the flights were rebooked and tickets reissued in minutes, for 26th September to the 3rd October, which means I get a week out there excitingly instead of the 5 days we would have done Seattle in.

The advisor was so bubbly, friendly, and enthusiastic to help, empathetic when I told her the story of what was going on, and was a really great ambassador for VS. I've got friends who work for VS and have been so fundamentally affected by these awful times, and although it was only two phone calls, it was reassuring to see that even in these awful times, the spark that makes VS what it is was still there!
#956515 by Traveller2
29 Jun 2020, 10:00
I'm not 100% sure but think there's a 14 day quarantine for people arriving in Barbados. Hopefully that will be lifted by the time you go.
#956516 by mallin
29 Jun 2020, 10:45
I do hope you get to enjoy Barbados, and that you will get to visit the Boeing factory it really is a must see, as hubby is ex RAF engineer he drooled over every part, we also stayed in the Hilton hotel right on the grounds so you can see it all from your bedroom window.

Also to visit the NP's there, you may need more than 5 days, we had 10 days and did not cover everything.

We are also hoping to visit the US in early October, but do not think its going to happen, we are waying up our options as it was booked using my last Lloyds Avios voucher which has long expired.we also quite fancy a road trip to cover Oregon if I can transfer the booking without losing too much.
Happy travels. Linda
#956517 by ken54james
29 Jun 2020, 12:26
where is the Boeing Factory in Barbados ???
#956518 by mitchja
29 Jun 2020, 12:57
ken54james wrote:where is the Boeing Factory in Barbados ???

I’m sure they where referring to Seattle which is where the OP was originally flying to.
#956523 by VS075
30 Jun 2020, 19:52
Fingers crossed you’re able to make it to Barbados. I don’t blame you for wanting to avoid the US at this time. Every day I see more reports of cases and what looks like a struggle to have a handle on it, especially in the southern states. There’s also the travel ban and not knowing when that’s going to be lifted.

Hopefully you will be able to go to Seattle some other time once COVID has blown over and your friend’s family health situation improves. I also hope there’s no hurricanes for you in Barbados in late-September!
#956542 by ColOrd
03 Jul 2020, 22:14
Well it seems like I beat the rush...

Flights have gone up in price, and the hotel and suite I have booked have gone up by $700 now that BGI is formally on the list of places we can go!
Virgin Atlantic