This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956857 by gwamgwam
24 Aug 2020, 08:22
A quick question on reward flight bookings. Outbound flights that I want are being released next week. I want to return two weeks later but I’m concerned if I wait for the return dates to be released the outbound reward availability will be gone.

Is there any way to reserve the outbound reward flights now and do the return in two weeks without having the extra cost of doing it as two one-ways?
#956861 by mikethe3rd
24 Aug 2020, 13:33
Book a return from the offset, eg, 01/06/21 returning 02/06/21. When your actual outbound flights appear just pay the change fee, £30pp. This used to be free for Golds, unsure if it is still is as the FC continually ‘evolves.’
#956866 by gwamgwam
24 Aug 2020, 19:49
I've looked into that and it seems a possibility. My only concern is if the return reward flights don't become available. I've started a dummy booking and it says changes allowed but not refundable. I thought reward flights were fully refundable other than the £30 admin fee. Has that changed because it now says not refundable?
#956867 by mikethe3rd
24 Aug 2020, 20:14
I’m unsure. As you say, you used to be able to do pretty much whatever you wanted come reward flights.

What’s your destination? If somewhere like Florida, it’s easy to pick up a reward between MCO, MIA, ATL over the span of a few days, whereas somewhere like PVG, you don’t exactly have much of a backup plan.
#956875 by EstelleB
25 Aug 2020, 09:49
If you get an operative on the phone who knows what they are doing, they can hold the outbound seats for you until the return leg is released. Unfortunately, VA are currently routing calls randomly so even if you call the FC line you could get a general customer services rep who doesn't know FC too well. I've found during the pandemic that using FB messenger also seems to get operatives who know what they are doing but it can take a while for someone to get back to you.

My outbound flights were released on Monday and as soon as I could see them (8am) I called and sent messages on text, Whatsapp and FB messenger to see which was quicker (I couldn't book online as this was a rebook from an open ticket). The phone call was actually answered first and they held the seats for me with no messing about.

I can't help with what happens if there is no return availability and you might need to be flexible with dates or the route.
#956879 by Q_Division
25 Aug 2020, 10:59
gwamgwam wrote:I've looked into that and it seems a possibility. My only concern is if the return reward flights don't become available. I've started a dummy booking and it says changes allowed but not refundable. I thought reward flights were fully refundable other than the £30 admin fee. Has that changed because it now says not refundable?

I have no idea why it says that on the page, if you read the full fare rules it states it's all refundable minus the £30 fee. Perhaps it's the £30 fee that technically makes it "non-refundable" in that you can't get a full refund.

For ref. here is a quote from the section I was reading:
THE REFUND PENALTY OF GBP30/USD50 APPLIES TO ADULTS AND CHILDREN. INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT FULL REFUND APPLIES. -------------------------------------------------- BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT 100 PERCENT OF THE MILES WILL BE REFUNDED WHEN CANCELLATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE. OTHERWISE MILES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED FOR CANCELLATIONS WITHIN 24 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT.

TAXES AND SURCHARGES UNUSED GOVERNMENT AND AIRPORT TAXES WILL BE REFUNDED. CARRIER IMPOSED SURCHARGES WILL BE REFUNDED
#956887 by gwamgwam
25 Aug 2020, 21:23
Q_Division wrote:
gwamgwam wrote:I've looked into that and it seems a possibility. My only concern is if the return reward flights don't become available. I've started a dummy booking and it says changes allowed but not refundable. I thought reward flights were fully refundable other than the £30 admin fee. Has that changed because it now says not refundable?

I have no idea why it says that on the page, if you read the full fare rules it states it's all refundable minus the £30 fee. Perhaps it's the £30 fee that technically makes it "non-refundable" in that you can't get a full refund.

For ref. here is a quote from the section I was reading:
THE REFUND PENALTY OF GBP30/USD50 APPLIES TO ADULTS AND CHILDREN. INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT FULL REFUND APPLIES. -------------------------------------------------- BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT 100 PERCENT OF THE MILES WILL BE REFUNDED WHEN CANCELLATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE. OTHERWISE MILES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED FOR CANCELLATIONS WITHIN 24 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT.

TAXES AND SURCHARGES UNUSED GOVERNMENT AND AIRPORT TAXES WILL BE REFUNDED. CARRIER IMPOSED SURCHARGES WILL BE REFUNDED

Thanks for that. Can you point me in the direction of where I can find those terms and conditions on the Virgin Atlantic website?
#956891 by Q_Division
26 Aug 2020, 08:35
When you go to book and get to the summary page with the "Changes allowed for a fee, not refundable" link, click the link and it brings up a dialog with "Ticket Changes" selected. If you switch to "Full fare rules" you should see both legs, if you expand a leg it's about half way down.
Virgin Atlantic