This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956905 by Hev60
27 Aug 2020, 00:19
Hi wonder if I could get some assistance from ‘those of you in the know’ ?

I have got a companion voucher sitting in my FC account. I have tried several times to get through on the phone just to discuss with them the new rules and what I need to do in order to redeem this voucher.

I am really hoping things improve for 2021 and I can go to a Palm Springs in March (I’m a tennis fan).
Normally I would try to book to z fares to SFO and then fly down in PS. I’ve got 125k miles in my account & I’m a FC silver member.

If I’m reading the new FC rules correctly, it seems I could book one UC fare (cash) but then how do I use the companion voucher? Alternatively, if I use my miles to get the first UC fare, again how does the companion fare work.

Sorry if I’m sounding a bit thick on this but I’m just confused how the voucher works in relation to the other UC fare I need to buy.

Any help would be appreciated, so I do not sound too much like an idiot ;-) when I finally get thru to the FC.

Thanks, Hev
#956911 by Q_Division
27 Aug 2020, 08:24
I'm sure wiser people will comment but my understanding is you can now book one ticket in UC as either miles or cash, your choice and then for companion it's basically a reward seat that has a zero mile cost. It does require G availability in order to use it and obviously if you want to use miles for the first that will need additional G availability too. Finally again (probably obvious) you are liable for the taxes and surcharges on the companion fare.

So short summary version, 2 options: Z (J, C, D, I) + G (no miles) or G + G (one lot of miles)
#956926 by International Hitman
27 Aug 2020, 19:45
Q_Division wrote:I'm sure wiser people will comment but my understanding is you can now book one ticket in UC as either miles or cash, your choice and then for companion it's basically a reward seat that has a zero mile cost. It does require G availability in order to use it and obviously if you want to use miles for the first that will need additional G availability too. Finally again (probably obvious) you are liable for the taxes and surcharges on the companion fare.

So short summary version, 2 options: Z (J, C, D, I) + G (no miles) or G + G (one lot of miles)

Great summary --- why can't it be this clear on the website :D
#956929 by Hev60
27 Aug 2020, 22:21
Q_Division wrote:I'm sure wiser people will comment but my understanding is you can now book one ticket in UC as either miles or cash, your choice and then for companion it's basically a reward seat that has a zero mile cost. It does require G availability in order to use it and obviously if you want to use miles for the first that will need additional G availability too. Finally again (probably obvious) you are liable for the taxes and surcharges on the companion fare.

Very helpful, thank you :-)
#957788 by alibeau
26 Oct 2020, 21:08
I'm so sorry for sounding thick but it this possible....

I book one z fare paid with cash and then use my companion reward voucher for the second seat and pay just the taxes on the second seat.

I am a red member so would i need to pay 57.5k miles for the companion seat plus the taxes?

I have spoken to 2 VA agents who tell me this is not possible and that I have to pay for the first seat with miles and cannot pay cash.

Thanks.

Ali.
#957790 by Q_Division
26 Oct 2020, 21:26
Yes, that is correct (as I understand it).

So in your case you would book a Z fare with cash and then you would need a G fare for the companion and it would cost 57.5k miles (I'm assuming you've looked that bit up) plus taxes.
#957791 by alibeau
26 Oct 2020, 21:28
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm on hold again trying to get through to VA in hopes of getting a different agent!

Ali.
Virgin Atlantic