This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957002 by EstelleB
01 Sep 2020, 10:18
Does anyone have experience of downgrading a reward seat after booking? I'm looking for PE seats for my return leg, but they don't seem to be releasing them (they were of course until we hit UK Summer hols timing). Just in case they release them later, if I book UC will I be later able to downgrade and get my miles and £ back? Cheers
#957005 by CommanderB
01 Sep 2020, 13:06
I think that should be doable. Assuming the seat you're downgrading to is available.

I can't possibly imagine why you'd want PE when you can have Upper, unless you're saving for a reason! :D
#957006 by EstelleB
01 Sep 2020, 13:20
Thanks - that's exactly it, saving for a massive holiday the following year and would be rather short if I use all of my miles on these flights!
#957008 by Kraken
01 Sep 2020, 15:41
Back in 2006, I upgraded for cash from PE to UC on a round trip to Orlando. It was a cash fare to start off with & upgraded with additional cash. As I was staying on the original flights both ways - just moving the cabin I was booked in - the amendment fee that was supposed to be charged was waived. I think I was moving from a K to Z fare, so cheapest & restricted PE to cheapest & restricted UC. The important bit was that it was on the exact same flights & dates, so no charge.

By contrast I have tried to change from the VS76 to the VS74 back from MCO in the past on the same date, to give an extra 2hrs or so in Orlando. Despite their being availability (lots of it) even on a G fare, it's an automatic £30pp charge as you are changing the flight.
#957009 by CommanderB
01 Sep 2020, 17:07
Kraken wrote:Back in 2006, I upgraded for cash from PE to UC on a round trip to Orlando. It was a cash fare to start off with & upgraded with additional cash. As I was staying on the original flights both ways - just moving the cabin I was booked in - the amendment fee that was supposed to be charged was waived. I think I was moving from a K to Z fare, so cheapest & restricted PE to cheapest & restricted UC. The important bit was that it was on the exact same flights & dates, so no charge.

By contrast I have tried to change from the VS76 to the VS74 back from MCO in the past on the same date, to give an extra 2hrs or so in Orlando. Despite their being availability (lots of it) even on a G fare, it's an automatic £30pp charge as you are changing the flight.

That's a really interesting technicality Kraken. Thanks for sharing. The rules are somewhat fluffy and in my experience agents can make things up as they go, but having precedent is always good!
Virgin Atlantic