This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957630 by Lucydog
17 Oct 2020, 12:07
I know that we have all been disappointed that none of us could fly over this year. I also know that having lost our beloved 747 ladies we are looking at future flights on 330/200 not keen, but I do think this will change all being well :cool: that it will maybe be a 787 or 350 if lucky. Things have definitely changed and so must we, masks are going to be around for most if not all next year so going to the parks will be tough and feel very different. We spend most of our holiday on the coast so hopefully not to bad. What are your thoughts on flying in 2021.
#957631 by Murraymint
17 Oct 2020, 12:50
Well, I consider myself an optimist so I certainly hope that things will be much better next year. The big question is, when?
I’ve booked flights to MCO for January and April next year but whether they will happen remains to be seen. My thought was that January was at best 50/50 (coming from Paphos, we fly over to U.K. to connect to VS and I’ve just checked my EasyJet flight over to MAN and discovered that it’s no longer for sale - so that might be a strong indication of things to come!
April, I think is a better probability but I guess it all depends on things like vaccines, borders opening and whether COVID-19 is still at high levels, the various health services are coping and the mortality rate doesn’t spike.
I also have BOS booked for June through the recent 50% Avios promotion on BA.
So my “guesstimated ”view is:
January- 30/70
April- 50/50
June - 60/40.

Of course - I could be completely wrong..........
#957658 by David
18 Oct 2020, 18:24
Hi Lucydog

I was hoping for December this year but combined with the current state of their politics, I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Having not been since July last year, it’s safe to say I’m bursting to go and get some sunshine but I would think the earliest now for us will be March ish. I would guess it will be A300-300’s and Dreamliners but you never know, we might be lucky and grab a new Airbus.

Probably only one of the plus points of the 747’s going is there is now nearly 3 times the amount of Upper seats available on ever flight, whatever the plane, so I’m hoping that means more reward seats as well.

The move (temporary or otherwise) to Heathrow excites me for the DTC / Clubhouse when T3 eventually reopens which you would hope might be about the same time., although I still hanker to see the Gatwick Clubhouse and the fantastic staff that were there again. Manchester, when it’s fully operational again, will be great to see the new Clubhouse instead of that small lounge they used to use.

I really hope, for the sake of the industry that by then, things start to get back to normal (and for the sake of a lot of folks sanity) and I can’t wait to get back onboard and enjoy the legendary Virgin hospitality and the sunshine state.

David
#957678 by Hev60
19 Oct 2020, 16:37
Traveller2 wrote:I admire your optimism about March!

Totally agree ... never going to happen. Maybe March 2022 !!

I put a deposit on a golf condo just outside Palm Springs because I had hoped to go to the Indian Wells tennis starting in March. The owner recently refunded our deposit stating there is no chance any U.K. tourists will be allowed into the US any time soon.
To be honest, why ever would anyone want to go on a holiday there. Sad but that’s reality. :-(
#957680 by VS075
19 Oct 2020, 18:44
Hev60 wrote:
Traveller2 wrote:I admire your optimism about March!

Totally agree ... never going to happen. Maybe March 2022 !!

I put a deposit on a golf condo just outside Palm Springs because I had hoped to go to the Indian Wells tennis starting in March. The owner recently refunded our deposit stating there is no chance any U.K. tourists will be allowed into the US any time soon.
To be honest, why ever would anyone want to go on a holiday there. Sad but that’s reality. :-(

True. They don’t appear to have a handle on COVID-19 and I’m glad somebody else made the decision to cancel our trip last month.
#957685 by Virginlondon
19 Oct 2020, 21:12
Hopefully after the election travel to the US might change. It’s time they find a way to get us moving as the present is not sustainable. From next March/April I predict we’ll see a return to normality and Covid will disappear from the headlines as we accept we have to live with it.

There will be exceptions such as Oz and NZ who may have created a longer term issue for themselves
#957686 by Lucydog
19 Oct 2020, 21:44
Well having chatted with friends due to fly over in December this year, that has now been cancelled, they asked if it could be transferred to next year, virgin told them no it’s fully booked up. So were does this leave them now with vouchers and cannot take the young daughter for Disney Christmas which is not there fault. They were offered November. >-(
#957688 by gumshoe
19 Oct 2020, 22:18
Lucydog wrote:Well having chatted with friends due to fly over in December this year, that has now been cancelled, they asked if it could be transferred to next year, virgin told them no it’s fully booked up. So were does this leave them now with vouchers and cannot take the young daughter for Disney Christmas which is not there fault. They were offered November. >-(

I assume this is a Virgin Holidays booking as VS isn’t yet selling flights for next Christmas.

VH presumably only has a certain quota of seats to sell on each flight and once they’re gone they’re gone. I can well believe it’s already sold its full quota to MCO next Christmas given how many families there are with vouchers from cancelled bookings in 2020.

Have your friends considered connecting via Atlanta or Miami? Not ideal but they’d at least get there.
#957690 by Hev60
19 Oct 2020, 22:55
gumshoe wrote:
Lucydog wrote:Well having chatted with friends due to fly over in December this year, that has now been cancelled, they asked if it could be transferred to next year, virgin told them no it’s fully booked up. So were does this leave them now with vouchers and cannot take the young daughter for Disney Christmas which is not there fault. They were offered November. >-(

I assume this is a Virgin Holidays booking as VS isn’t yet selling flights for next Christmas.

VH presumably only has a certain quota of seats to sell on each flight and once they’re gone they’re gone. I can well believe it’s already sold its full quota to MCO next Christmas given how many families there are with vouchers from cancelled bookings in 2020.

Have your friends considered connecting via Atlanta or Miami? Not ideal but they’d at least get there.

Virgin Holidays are selling Orlando flights with availability for December 2021.

I just did a dummy booking for four people travelling out on 17th December for 16 nights. Both the fly-drive and a package options were offered.

So I would assume your friends did book direct with Virgin Atlantic, in which case as Gumshoe points out ‘normal’ flights are not released yet for December 2021. However with the current situation, I’m not sure how the 331day in advance policy operates when customers hold a voucher in respect of cancellations.
#957716 by steveb
21 Oct 2020, 14:21
Do we still harbour any hopes of the leisure config or otherwise A350 on this route now? - Or is it still up in the air? (pun intended).

Although sad to see the 747's go, have looked forward to flying to MCO on the A350 for some time. I hope VS don't relegate it to the older equipment as they have done the last few years.....
#957720 by David
21 Oct 2020, 17:24
I think that was the original pre-COVID plan with the 747’s being eventually replaced by the A350’s. Whether that happens now is anyone’s guess but remember the A300-300’s were also being replaced by A330-900 neo’s which will, if they still appear, be fitted with the new suites / seats.

I don’t know if anyone would be able to tell the difference when seated between the A330 and the A350.

David.
#957732 by VS075
22 Oct 2020, 10:01
David wrote:I think that was the original pre-COVID plan with the 747’s being eventually replaced by the A350’s. Whether that happens now is anyone’s guess but remember the A300-300’s were also being replaced by A330-900 neo’s which will, if they still appear, be fitted with the new suites / seats.

I don’t know if anyone would be able to tell the difference when seated between the A330 and the A350.

David.

I'm sure I read somewhere that delivery of the final 4 A350's have been deferred. I suppose with the general slowdown and slow recovery, they could make do without the remaining A350's for a while and run most of the former 747 routes on A330's and 787's.

As for the A330 and A350, I'm yet to sample one but they will be able to tell the difference if sat in PE and Upper if they've been on one or the other before. On the A350's, the PE seats are narrower than the A330-300's and 787's and the Upper seat is completely different to the UCS seat found on everything else bar the A330-200's, as well as the Loft on the A350's being different to the Bar. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Economy seats on the A350's are a tad narrower than everything else in the fleet?
#957734 by David
22 Oct 2020, 11:50
VS075 wrote:
David wrote:I think that was the original pre-COVID plan with the 747’s being eventually replaced by the A350’s. Whether that happens now is anyone’s guess but remember the A300-300’s were also being replaced by A330-900 neo’s which will, if they still appear, be fitted with the new suites / seats.

David.

I'm sure I read somewhere that delivery of the final 4 A350's have been deferred. I suppose with the general slowdown and slow recovery, they could make do without the remaining A350's for a while and run most of the former 747 routes on A330's and 787's.

As for the A330 and A350, I'm yet to sample one but they will be able to tell the difference if sat in PE and Upper if they've been on one or the other before. On the A350's, the PE seats are narrower than the A330-300's and 787's and the Upper seat is completely different to the UCS seat found on everything else bar the A330-200's, as well as the Loft on the A350's being different to the Bar. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Economy seats on the A350's are a tad narrower than everything else in the fleet?

Sorry, should have made myself clearer - "I don’t know if anyone would be able to tell the difference when seated between the A330-900's if they arrive and the A350."
#957751 by Lucydog
23 Oct 2020, 12:11
yes my friends booked with virgin. they are now going in 2022 with a voucher to change the booking as soon as available. I agree that 2021 early bookings are looking wobbly, We are booked for June. Im not hopeful it will happen without full covid masks and checks so may cancel. I dont want to spend £10 grand and not feel free to do as we usually do. :-(
#957773 by Ross
25 Oct 2020, 21:29
We are going to Orlando in Aug hopefully from the uk vs135 i think and down for an A330-200 hope it will change but not optimistic! Had an email saying your booking has been changed on Virgin Holidays, go on there, nothing changed not the times or anything!
#957908 by Murraymint
07 Nov 2020, 15:12
Well, way back in March when we hoped things would get back to normal soon ;-) , we booked MAN-MCO for January 21 for a great PE price and Upper upgrade later.

As time went by, it looked less and less likely and now it looks as if anything before mid February is no longer for sale. Guess I’ll be getting an email soon.
#959596 by 747G-VXLG
18 Feb 2021, 23:39
Looks like there may be another significant delay on Orlando flights restarting along with the borders being closed as it looks like hotel quarantine may be being brought in for all arrivals from America.
Virgin Atlantic