This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957998 by G-VROY
15 Nov 2020, 14:45
Hi all,

I hope you are keeping well.

I've previously enjoyed using the twilight check in facility at Gatwick on past departures from there.

I understand having used Heathrow, that this is not available there.

With the Gatwick routes moving over to Heathrow, do you think or has anyone heard that they might move this over?

It's quite handy to use and then stay at an onsite hotel the night before. Makes for a rather pleasant and relaxed start to a trip.

I guess at Gatwick with morning heavy departures and only 4-6 it's easier to manage than at Heathrow.

Then again, the desks are already open and it's never that busy (in my experience) checking in for the evening flights out of LHR.

Look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
#958003 by ColOrd
15 Nov 2020, 22:18
Couple of thoughts on this

Generally, most hotels at Gatwick are a pretty short walk from the terminal (Premier Inn, Sofitel, Hampton in the North and Yotel, and Hilton in the South) so it made sense to pop in to drop your luggage off as especially those arriving by train pretty much go past the terminal anyway. Its slightly different at Heathrow, with the exception really of a handful of hotels the vast majority are on Bath Road which dependent on how you're getting to LHR, might mean quite a detour.

There are check-in desks open till quite late for VS, but I seem to recall some regulation, rule or SOP at LHR that prevents passengers baggage being held airside overnight hence why if you have an overnight connection you have to collect your bags etc but maybe that is separate from the ability to do Twilight Checkin?
#958005 by G-VROY
15 Nov 2020, 22:56
That makes sense.

We're in the Garden Inn Hilton so have tried to stay close to replicate the Gatwick experience. Tend to do valet parking so can dump the car and then head to the hotel.

It's not the end of the world by an stretch but did enjoy the benefit at Gatwick.
#958010 by ColOrd
16 Nov 2020, 07:54
If you’re travelling Upper, personally, I would stay on Bath Road and treat yourself to a taxi or Uber to use Drive Through check in (obviously I’m assuming you’re travelling next Spring/Summer and T3 is back open!)

However the HGI is a lovely property and the views are stunning if you get a runway view! The bar which pretty much has 360 views around the whole airfield is one of the best views the public can get of LHR!