This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#958114 by clayts
25 Nov 2020, 19:12
Hi everyone,

I am booked on VS21 LHR-IAD on 17th Dec and am assuming that the flight won’t be going based on no IAD flights I think since April for VS. The question I have is when will VS cancel the flight? At the moment I have cancelled everything else based on travel advice etc but I am slightly concerned that the flights is still showing as going.

Welcome any thoughts, thanks!
#958119 by SlimpyJones
26 Nov 2020, 09:06
I've got the same problem too. Booked onto a flight to BGI on Dec 13th however the flight (and every flight up to the 10th) is no longer on sale. My booking remains in tact though. Frustrating as I need to have firm dates in order to book PCR tests and arrange hotels on the other side.
#958120 by ColOrd
26 Nov 2020, 11:42
I am assuming since they have now rescinded Lock Down does that also rescind the "not allowed to travel" thing too, again from the 2nd Dec, so assuming thats why VS took them off sale? Might see your BGI now go ahead?
#958121 by SlimpyJones
26 Nov 2020, 14:45
Good point, I can see some logic there, take flights off sale until it's confirmed if people can travel. I guess I'll keep an eye on it but I'll still work on the assumption that we're going to have a date changed. So far no change!
#958147 by woralla
28 Nov 2020, 11:27
SlimpyJones wrote:I've got the same problem too. Booked onto a flight to BGI on Dec 13th however the flight (and every flight up to the 10th) is no longer on sale. My booking remains in tact though. Frustrating as I need to have firm dates in order to book PCR tests and arrange hotels on the other side.

I’m having the same problem. I’m due to fly to BGI this coming Friday 4 December. My booking does not show that the flight has been cancelled, but VS186 doesn’t exist in any flight look-ups on either the VS website, Expert Flyer or FlightRadar24. I would have expected either to see a flight with no availability by fare bin if they were not offering further sales currently, or a status of cancelled if that were the plan. But instead it is as if there was never a flight.

When I click on the seat map from my booking, it shows the flight for Saturday 5 December, despite the booking saying I’m on a flight on 4 December.

E-mails, texts and WhatsApps to VS getting no response. I gave up on the AU phone line after an hour on hold.

Frustrating as I will need to attempt to move PCR tests if the flight is a different day.
#958149 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2020, 11:47
Some more observations I've made since my post - the VS131 seems to be getting cancelled with a week's notice. There's lots of cancelled 131s (if you look up via Flight Status). Yesterday the flight on 5th December was fine, today it's cancelled. I suspect they are doing them one at a time and rebooking everyone.
I also tried calling yesterday and spent 90 minutes on hold before giving up. Trying again this morning but so far I'm up to 25 minutes and no bueno.
#958150 by woralla
28 Nov 2020, 11:53
SlimpyJones wrote:Some more observations I've made since my post - the VS131 seems to be getting cancelled with a week's notice. There's lots of cancelled 131s (if you look up via Flight Status). Yesterday the flight on 5th December was fine, today it's cancelled. I suspect they are doing them one at a time and rebooking everyone.
I also tried calling yesterday and spent 90 minutes on hold before giving up. Trying again this morning but so far I'm up to 25 minutes and no bueno.

We were orIginally on the VS131. They seem to swap that to the VS186, which happened on my booking. The VS186 goes LHR- BGI - ANU, rather than just LHR - BGI.
#958152 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2020, 13:01
Goodness me. Sounds like they're doing all kinds of rearranging then - not just cancelling but doubling up BGI & ANU into the same flight. Going to be a nightmare to get anything close to the date I was due to travel. Would even consider flying out from MAN but that's only twice a week. Currently approaching 100 minutes on hold now.
#958153 by woralla
28 Nov 2020, 13:10
SlimpyJones wrote:Goodness me. Sounds like they're doing all kinds of rearranging then - not just cancelling but doubling up BGI & ANU into the same flight. Going to be a nightmare to get anything close to the date I was due to travel. Would even consider flying out from MAN but that's only twice a week. Currently approaching 100 minutes on hold now.

Also on hold, behind you in the queue. Interesting in the response you get because we’re due to fly home on the aircraft you flight out on...
#958154 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2020, 13:11
Would be nice to have one of those automated "You are in position X" things. Even my dentists has one of those! Currently researching alternatives including Jamaica.

My suspicion is that I'll be told that given I've not been officially cancelled I'll need to get on my bike!
#958156 by woralla
28 Nov 2020, 15:26
2 hours 6 mins on hold. Finally through. Both outbound and return have been cancelled. Rebooked a day later in both cases. Now to move hotel dates, covid tests, etc...
#958157 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2020, 15:54
woralla wrote:2 hours 6 mins on hold. Finally through. Both outbound and return have been cancelled. Rebooked a day later in both cases. Now to move hotel dates, covid tests, etc...

Yep roughly the same amount of time as me then. Glad you got some closure, we've also made a list of things to rearrange!
#958161 by gameswolverine
28 Nov 2020, 19:24
Thanks for the heads-up. We are on VS131 on Dec 20th (Sunday) and I'm hoping we'll not be moved too. I'll keep an eye on the booking and may try calling to see if they can give some early warning of a move.

I thought I'd done well to book our PCR test at a local Boots and it was the last slot. All of their tests in a 50 mile radius are fully booked now for the entire week . It'll be a real headache to try and re-arrange elsewhere at short notice in the midlands, not to mention hotels etc...
#958193 by Murraymint
01 Dec 2020, 08:44
Got an email last night to say that my VS75 MAN-MCO on 13th January has a 30 minute change to its arrival time (no change to departure). Surprised me as when I saw the email come in, I thought it was going to be cancelled. Can’t see flights for sale to MCO until early February.
#958195 by Hev60
01 Dec 2020, 11:04
Murraymint wrote:Got an email last night to say that my VS75 MAN-MCO on 13th January has a 30 minute change to its arrival time (no change to departure). Surprised me as when I saw the email come in, I thought it was going to be cancelled. Can’t see flights for sale to MCO until early February.

As far as I know their borders are still closed (Trump is threatening to open it but no date yet) Considering how COVID is totally out of control over there, if he did open up then Biden might shut it back up!!! Best idea, basically who would really want to go there in the near future.

However maybe VS have some knowledge on this, otherwise perhaps your email is a December Fools day :-D
#958197 by SlimpyJones
01 Dec 2020, 14:27
Well I'm back on the phone again. Same hold music. Only difference is this time it's Virgin Holidays. I ended up booking hotels separately with them so now I need to spin the roulette wheel of "how much is it going to cost me to have the hotel start a day earlier".
#958240 by VS075
03 Dec 2020, 13:54
Hev60 wrote:
Murraymint wrote:Got an email last night to say that my VS75 MAN-MCO on 13th January has a 30 minute change to its arrival time (no change to departure). Surprised me as when I saw the email come in, I thought it was going to be cancelled. Can’t see flights for sale to MCO until early February.

As far as I know their borders are still closed (Trump is threatening to open it but no date yet) Considering how COVID is totally out of control over there, if he did open up then Biden might shut it back up!!! Best idea, basically who would really want to go there in the near future.

I would like to see these (now record) numbers drop first...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55170329

I would be surprised if Trump opens the borders once again prior to exiting office. At the same time, I would also be surprised if Biden opens the borders shortly after taking office.
#958245 by Hev60
03 Dec 2020, 19:31
Can you imagine what the US statistics will be like at the end of next week, which will be 2weeks after their ‘Super-Spreader’ weekend (ThanksGiving) IMO such silly behaviour.

I was chatting on a Canadian Trip Advisor forum earlier this week and the locals can’t see their International border or the US border opening before the summer and even some suggestion of not at all in 2021, wow.
#958407 by Murraymint
12 Dec 2020, 13:00
Hev60 wrote:

However maybe VS have some knowledge on this, otherwise perhaps your email is a December Fools day :-D

It must have been :-D

Flight cancelled email received last night.
Virgin Atlantic