This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#959355 by DIAZLUXO
01 Feb 2021, 20:48
mine are:
G-VJET- JETSTREAMER (G-VHOL successor)
G-VALI- WONDERLAND GIRL
G-VKIT- RED RIDER
G-VKND- STARGIRL
G-VANG- ATLANTIC ANGEL (not used on a cancelled A346 delivery)
G-VJAZ- SMOOTH OPERATOR
G-VRUB- RUBY RED
G-VIRM- CLOUD RULER
Last edited by DIAZLUXO on 02 Feb 2021, 21:19, edited 3 times in total.
#959357 by 747G-VXLG
02 Feb 2021, 00:12
G-VNAN - MARY POPPINS
G-VKAT - BABOOSHKA
G-VMER - KILLER QUEEN
G-VVIC - PEGGY MITCHELL
G-VDOL - BARBIE
G-VLEN - LADY MADONNA
G-VEVE - VIRGIN LADY
G-VNIL - SWEET CAROLINE
G-VDUL - PLANE JANE
G-VBON - RASPUTIN
G-VOUT - MEGHAN MARKLE
G-VMAD - MATERIAL GIRL
G-VMAY - RADIO GA GA
G-VSUM - HOT STUFF
G-VJET - PLANEY MCPLANE FACE
G-VBIL - VIENNA
G-VROL - MOTHER’S LITTLE HELPER
G-VORB - OOBY DOOBY
G-VSLP - CINDERELLA
#959362 by VS075
02 Feb 2021, 14:14
Without wishing to spoil the fun, some of these registrations are currently already assigned to other aircraft or have previously been assigned to other aircraft. Unlike some other countries, I understand the CAA in the UK currently only allow registrations to be assigned to one aircraft ever and nothing else, even if the aircraft it was assigned to has since been re-registered or scrapped.

Registrations can only be reused if they are going back onto an aircraft that previously used that registration. Using an example to keep relevance to VS, a couple of 747-200's G-VSSS and G-VBEE were re-registered as TF-ATW and TF-ATN respectively when they were sold to Air Atlanta and wet-leased back for the MAN-MCO route, however as time progressed they regained their original G- registrations. G-VINE also spent the early part of its life on lease to Ryan International and was re-registered in the USA before reverting to its original G- registration when it came back to VS. TUI do this all the time whenever they transfer aircraft from the UK division (the artist formerly known as Britannia Airways) to their other airlines in Europe or on winter lease to Sunwing.
#959367 by 747G-VXLG
02 Feb 2021, 19:23
VS075 wrote:Without wishing to spoil the fun, some of these registrations are currently already assigned to other aircraft or have previously been assigned to other aircraft. Unlike some other countries, I understand the CAA in the UK currently only allow registrations to be assigned to one aircraft ever and nothing else, even if the aircraft it was assigned to has since been re-registered or scrapped.

Registrations can only be reused if they are going back onto an aircraft that previously used that registration. Using an example to keep relevance to VS, a couple of 747-200's G-VSSS and G-VBEE were re-registered as TF-ATW and TF-ATN respectively when they were sold to Air Atlanta and wet-leased back for the MAN-MCO route, however as time progressed they regained their original G- registrations. G-VINE also spent the early part of its life on lease to Ryan International and was re-registered in the USA before reverting to its original G- registration when it came back to VS. TUI do this all the time whenever they transfer aircraft from the UK division (the artist formerly known as Britannia Airways) to their other airlines in Europe or on winter lease to Sunwing.


DIAZLUXO wrote:G-VYES
G-VASE
G-VOLT
G-VSPA
G-VZIP
G-VAFT
G-VCAP
747G-VXLG wrote:G-VNAN - MARY POPPINS
G-VKAT - BABOOSHKA
G-VMER - KILLER QUEEN
G-VVIC - PEGGY MITCHELL
G-VDOL - BARBIE
G-VLEN - LADY MADONNA
G-VEVE - VIRGIN LADY
G-VNIL - SWEET CAROLINE
G-VDUL - PLANE JANE
G-VBON - RASPUTIN
G-VOUT - MEGHAN MARKLE
G-VMAD - MATERIAL GIRL
G-VMAY - RADIO GA GA
G-VSUM - HOT STUFF
G-VJET - PLANEY MCPLANE FACE
G-VBIL - VIENNA
G-VROL - MOTHER’S LITTLE HELPER
G-VORB - OOBY DOOBY
G-VSLP - CINDERELLA
DIAZLUXO wrote:mine are:
G-VJET- JETSTREAMER (G-VHOL successor)
G-VALI- WONDERLAND GIRL
G-VKIT- RED RIDER
G-VKND- STARGIRL
G-VANG- ATLANTIC ANGEL (not used on a cancelled A346 delivery)
G-VJAZ- SMOOTH OPERATOR
G-VRUB- RUBY RED


Which ones have already been assigned?
#959368 by Silver Surfer
02 Feb 2021, 20:24
I've heard these names mentioned before:

G-VJAZ (Creole Queen)
G-VMGM (Movie Queen)
G-VMIX (Virgin and Tonic)
G-VRIO (Carnival Queen)
G-VJAX (no name assigned)
G-VJOY (no name assigned)
G-VEWR (Liberty Belle) is unlikely to be used, as Virgin is no longer flying to Newark Liberty Intl.
G-VXXL (Queen of the Skies) suggested for use on either the first or second A380 (which obviously won't happen now)
#959369 by 747G-VXLG
02 Feb 2021, 21:23
Silver Surfer wrote:I've heard these names mentioned before:

G-VJAZ (Creole Queen)
G-VMGM (Movie Queen)
G-VMIX (Virgin and Tonic)
G-VRIO (Carnival Queen)
G-VJAX (no name assigned)
G-VJOY (no name assigned)
G-VEWR (Liberty Belle) is unlikely to be used, as Virgin is no longer flying to Newark Liberty Intl.
G-VXXL (Queen of the Skies) suggested for use on either the first or second A380 (which obviously won't happen now)


Are these for the 339s?
#959370 by Kraken
02 Feb 2021, 22:06
VS075 wrote:Without wishing to spoil the fun, some of these registrations are currently already assigned to other aircraft or have previously been assigned to other aircraft. Unlike some other countries, I understand the CAA in the UK currently only allow registrations to be assigned to one aircraft ever and nothing else, even if the aircraft it was assigned to has since been re-registered or scrapped.

Registrations can only be reused if they are going back onto an aircraft that previously used that registration. Using an example to keep relevance to VS, a couple of 747-200's G-VSSS and G-VBEE were re-registered as TF-ATW and TF-ATN respectively when they were sold to Air Atlanta and wet-leased back for the MAN-MCO route, however as time progressed they regained their original G- registrations. G-VINE also spent the early part of its life on lease to Ryan International and was re-registered in the USA before reverting to its original G- registration when it came back to VS. TUI do this all the time whenever they transfer aircraft from the UK division (the artist formerly known as Britannia Airways) to their other airlines in Europe or on winter lease to Sunwing.


A further example of a Virgin plane getting it's old name back is G-VROM / Barberalla. It was leased out to Aerosur for a period of time so was re-registered with a Bolivian registration for this time (it also picked up quite a cool paint job too). When it was returned to Virgin it once again became G-VROM & it's original name of Barberalla.
#959371 by mattyp
02 Feb 2021, 22:26
There was a similar thread to this several years back and it was discussed how airlines don’t have more than one aircraft with the last two letters in the registration.

For example G-VMAP would be the only VS aircraft finishing with AP and G-VRAY would be the only aircraft ending in AY.

I seem to remember there was overlap with two aircraft a couple of years ago. I seem to remember there was a 747 with the same reg ending as one of the newly delivered aircraft. Obviously this was only very short lived with the 747 retirement imminent at the time.

I got chatting to a BA FO a few years ago in St Lucia - all of their aircraft are known by their last two letters amongst flight crew. For example B777 G-VIIC is known as ‘India Charlie’ and G-STBA is known as ‘Bravo Alpha’. No two combinations of any aircraft in their fleet are the same.
#959381 by ColOrd
03 Feb 2021, 22:15
mattyp wrote:For example G-VMAP would be the only VS aircraft finishing with AP and G-VRAY would be the only aircraft ending in AY.

I seem to remember there was overlap with two aircraft a couple of years ago. I seem to remember there was a 747 with the same reg ending as one of the newly delivered aircraft. Obviously this was only very short lived with the 747 retirement imminent at the time.


GVMAP - West End Girl 787-9
GVNAP - Sleeping Beauty Rejuvenated 340-600

Also co-existed for quite some time together.
Virgin Atlantic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DIAZLUXO, fisentke545, Kristampe, mitchja and 6 guests

Itinerary Calendar