This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#959530 by AlsirAl
12 Feb 2021, 15:59
Hi All,

Looking for some tips / advice from any one who has used their points / miles in the past to get to Japan.

How far in advance to book? Is flying out of London a possible option or only ex eu? If ex eu where’s best for a mini trip before?
How can you search award availability?
Is F a possibility for 2 pax or only J?

Many thanks in advance
#959531 by SlimpyJones
12 Feb 2021, 16:31
Hello,

I was able to do a redemption for two friends a couple of years ago doing LHR-HND in J. In the end we booked around 9 months in advance as I found availability for two dates about a week apart. Under normal conditions this would be a route with high business demand so we basically took what dates we could (i.e. don't limit yourself to Saturdays & Sundays).

I used the reward flight finder on United's website. You have to play around with it a bit as it will show you a lot of options, indirect flights, other star alliance carriers, etc.

If you're looking for F then you might want to extend your search to other origins besides LHR.
#959582 by AlsirAl
16 Feb 2021, 23:00
So done a bit more digging, tried dummy dates and got F on air Canada but nothing on united for same dates. Which site is more reliable?

The second part to the OP which I think a lot more people will be able to help with is the ex eu city choices ? Where good for a day and a night?

Just before COVID we followed the TLFL trip plan from Stockholm to NZ so wouldn’t choose to fly from there again as want to see a new city