This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#959768 by Louie84x
28 Feb 2021, 10:09
Hi - I am looking to book flights LHR-BOM for Jan22, the outward date we want is available to book and has upper seats showing, but return won’t be out for another week or so.

I’m thinking to book the upper outbound now, and then pick up the return in premium when it’s available to book. Because I’ll be really annoyed if I wait and the upper availability disappears! Premium seats on this route always seem a lot more common and easy to get.

Can anyone think of any disadvantage to doing this? I’m thinking if one leg is cancelled then I won’t get auto refund/move on the other but I’m ok with that. Is there anything else I’m not thinking of? Thanks!
#959775 by Louie84x
28 Feb 2021, 16:14
Thank you all! Yes I did a couple of mock bookings and it works out about £50 extra in taxes for the 2 of us, which isn’t unreasonable. Will get on it this evening!

Hopefully this booking goes ahead! Got a great deal to Vegas when the 50% off reward redemptions sale was on, combined with the upgrade voucher, just crossing fingers we might be allowed into the US by August....
#959779 by ColOrd
28 Feb 2021, 18:15
Just thinking about this, and someone more knowledgeable of these things than me might need to clarify, but:

I book a return ticket, and contractually the airline is obliged to get me home right?
But if I book two singles, two separate contracts and the airline cancels my ticket, the only obligation they have is to refund me? So in theory is booking two singles a risk, albeit a minor one of being stranded?
#959780 by gumshoe
28 Feb 2021, 18:43
ColOrd wrote:Just thinking about this, and someone more knowledgeable of these things than me might need to clarify, but:

I book a return ticket, and contractually the airline is obliged to get me home right?
But if I book two singles, two separate contracts and the airline cancels my ticket, the only obligation they have is to refund me? So in theory is booking two singles a risk, albeit a minor one of being stranded?

No, VS would have to either rebook, reroute or refund you - whichever you prefer. And it would still have a duty of care, so would be on the hook for food/accommodation etc. It matters not whether it’s a single or return.

Note however - this would NOT apply to a non-EU airline flying into the UK, eg Delta.
#959782 by blindman65
28 Feb 2021, 19:17
EU216 would apply

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:439cd3a7-fd3c-4da7-8bf4-b0f60600c1d6.0004.02/DOC_1&format=PDF

Delta flights would work on the outbound as you would be travelling from a European Airport.

To determine if EU261 applies to you, you must be:

Travelling either from an European Union airport; or
Travelling to a European Union airport on a European-based airline
And all three of the following must be true:

Have a confirmed reservation
Have checked in properly, and on time
On a revenue or award ticket, which includes sale/mistake fares, but excludes staff duty travel and discounted staff stand-by tickets
#959785 by tontybear
28 Feb 2021, 19:44
ColOrd wrote:Just thinking about this, and someone more knowledgeable of these things than me might need to clarify, but:

1. Return ticket - VS do have an obligation to rebook / refund if either leg is cancelled

2. Single tickets their obligation is related to each specific ticket.

If LHR-XXX gets cancelled then they have an obligation to sort you out on that such as rebooking for a later date or a refund.

But they have no obligation to change the dates of your separate XXX-LHR flight for free (they might of course as a good will gesture but they don't legally have to) or to give you a full refund as that would be seen as a change instigated by you.

Ditto if the XXX-LHR flight was cancelled but not the LHR-XXX they would have no obligation to change your LHR-XXXflight

So yes single tickets can be a risk
Virgin Atlantic