This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960227 by taurus
25 Mar 2021, 10:32
We booked 2 reward flights in Upper to Washington for April 2020. Obviously they didn't go ahead so we converted them to open tickets - was told at the time that we have to rebook and travel before may 2022.

We now feel that we would rather cut our losses, and wondered if it is possible to get a refund of the charges and have the miles put back in to my account? Or have I lost that right by converting to open tickets?

The website isn't very helpful on this, and if it is possible to get the refund, what's the best way of going about it?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
#960228 by ColOrd
25 Mar 2021, 10:53
I'm fairly certain that going for an open ticket doesn't preclude the option of refunding, but they will naturally try and push for people to go down the Open Ticket route first.
#960232 by Christo
25 Mar 2021, 13:15
We converted to an open ticket in January for our (twice rescheduled) April 2021 flights. Last week those flights were cancelled. We spoke to Virgin on WhatsApp and they replied within a few hours. Full refund confirmed.

Provided your original flights have been cancelled (which they have in your case) you can get a full refund and it's a very easy process.
#960250 by CommanderB
26 Mar 2021, 10:39
As long as the originally booked flight didn't fly, you can get a refund even when its an open ticket.

I did this with a couple of my flights. It wasn't painful.
#960251 by taurus
26 Mar 2021, 12:53
Thanks everyone!

I went down the WhatsApp route and as you predicted there were no problems. I was tempted by their offer to take the refund of fees paid as points at the rate of 15,000 per £100 but decided that money in my bank account might be more useful!

The points are back in my account, and an email received to say refund being processed. All in all impressed by the service I received.
Virgin Atlantic