This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960466 by zjc
19 Nov 2022, 10:47
I’ve just tried to check in for my flight tomorrow but the app doesn’t let me.

It checks in my partner on the same booking but doesn’t seem to register me and if I try to check me in just goes back into a loop of checking in my partner.

Any ideas? should I be worried?
#960467 by mitchja
19 Nov 2022, 16:13
It could be any number of reasons, though probably nothing to worry about.

Have you tried checking in using the full website? Sometimes that works when the app does not.
#960468 by zjc
19 Nov 2022, 19:59
Thanks!

I tried the website but same thing - only it had a message saying it’s likely nothing to worry about just extra security checks or something.

I’ve checked all the usuals such as ESTAs etc and all seem fine.

Hopefully will be fine when I arrive at the Upper Wing tomorrow
#960469 by David1946
19 Nov 2022, 22:21
I may be wrong but I seem to remember not being able to check in on line as you have been selected for the extra security checks. You just check in as usual at the airport.
#960471 by tontybear
20 Nov 2022, 02:12
David1946 wrote:I may be wrong but I seem to remember not being able to check in on line as you have been selected for the extra security checks. You just check in as usual at the airport.

You are wrong.

There are dozens of reasons why you can't checkin for a US bound flight and being selected for SSSS is very low down on that list.
#960472 by zjc
20 Nov 2022, 08:26
Update from a very quiet Clubhouse. No mention of any issues at check in but I spy “SSSS” on the boarding card.

Always seems to appear when I fly to Miami but no where else in the US!

I had thought that having TSA Pre and Global stopped you getting SSSS
#960662 by EstelleB
04 Jan 2023, 17:56
Sorry to post after the event, but I just found this thread when searching for something else!

I can confirm that being selected for the extra security checks will mean that you can't check in on the app, and also that this is not a random thing.

I spoke with a guy at the gate recently about the fact that I am so sick of having the extra checks every single time that I go to the US, particularly when travelling with my autistic son who gets quite upset about it. He confirmed that if I'm being chosen every time then it is certainly not random and chances are that there is someone with my name who is on some sort of DHS watch list!

So I contacted DHS and they have sent me a form to fill in to get myself removed - let's see how I get on!
#960665 by territt
05 Jan 2023, 11:11
tontybear wrote:You are wrong.

There are dozens of reasons why you can't checkin for a US bound flight and being selected for SSSS is very low down on that list.

The only time I havent been able to check in online was the two times I was selected for SSSS
#960669 by Kraken
05 Jan 2023, 17:49
On the two occasions I have been SSSS'd for a Virgin flight, the VS website has allowed me to check-in & confirm seat selection, but it stopped there and would not issue a boarding pass.

Personally I think printing the SSSS on a boarding pass defeats the purpose of the supposedly random selection for SSSS. I am sure the SSSS is embedded in the boarding pass barcode as when they scan your boarding pass, the light goes red if you have SSSS. By printing this on the pass, you are alerting anyone who is up to no good that they are in for a secondary search at the gate - so if they have stuff on them that they shouldn't have, they'll either dump it or just walk out of the airport and miss the flight.

I know the G4S screener at the gate is not exactly law enforcement - but the Police don't phone up criminals and give then advance notice of a house-raid (for good reason too, as they want to catch them in the act).
#960782 by EstelleB
04 Feb 2023, 15:04
I just thought that I would update today as I received a letter from DHS regarding the SSSS thing in case anyone else found themselves 'randomly' selected every single time.

It is very carefully worded from a security perspective, but it is a really nice letter apologising and stating that it is most probably due to 'misidentification'. They have given me a reference number to use for any future flights and said that this should resolve the issue. Certainly worth doing!
Virgin Atlantic