This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960614 by flyingfox
22 Dec 2022, 00:44
Re posting the announcement of Virgin Atlantic joining SkyTeam in early 2023 as the original post was deleted due to the V Flyer server crash.

Over the last few months the Clubhouse policies have been developed in preparation and the VS website has been updated with who can access ;

Who can access the Clubhouse?

Access to the Clubhouse is strictly for international Virgin Atlantic (VS) or Delta Air Lines (DL) flights only for the below passengers:

Passengers travelling in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
Flying Club Gold members travelling with us
Passengers travelling in Delta One
Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion card holders*
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion card holders*
Virgin Australia Velocity Club Gold card holders**
Virgin Australia Velocity Club Platinum card holders**
Virgin Australia Velocity The Club card holders**
Flying Blue Platinum card holders*
La premiere customers

*When travelling on a Virgin Atlantic or Delta Air Lines operated flight leaving the UK.
**When travelling on a Virgin Atlantic operated flight.

Virgin Atlantic to join SkyTeam alliance

The airline will join the alliance early 2023, enhancing SkyTeam’s offering at both London Heathrow and Manchester Airport
Customers will benefit from more opportunities to earn and redeem miles, with access to an extensive global route network
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver and Gold members will receive a raft of Elite and Elite Plus member benefits delivered under the SkyPriority brand
Virgin Atlantic is already a founding partner of a Joint Venture partnership with SkyTeam members Delta Air Lines and Air France-KLM

SkyTeam, the global airline alliance, and Virgin Atlantic have today announced that the UK airline will join as SkyTeam’s newest member in early 2023. Virgin Atlantic will become SkyTeam’s first and only UK member airline, enhancing the alliance’s transatlantic network and services to and from Heathrow and Manchester Airport.

Virgin Atlantic customers will benefit from a consistent, seamless customer experience, across 1,000+ global destinations. They’ll also have more opportunities to earn and redeem points across member airlines and access to a network of 750+ airport lounges, spanning six continents.

The airline’s Flying Club members will enjoy significant benefits from the day of joining, with a global expansion of its loyalty offering. Virgin Atlantic Silver Card holders will be recognised as SkyTeam Elite Members, whilst the airline’s Gold Card members will become Elite Plus. This recognition provides a raft of benefits, including priority check in, baggage handling and boarding. Flying Club members will be able to take advantage of the benefits as soon as Virgin Atlantic officially enrols in SkyTeam, which is expected in early 2023.

Virgin Atlantic’s entry into the alliance builds upon the success of its transatlantic joint venture partnership with Delta Air Lines and Air France-KLM, each already long established SkyTeam members. The four partners are co-located at London Heathrow’s Terminal Three, alongside existing SkyTeam members Aeromexico and China Eastern, providing customers with smooth airside transits and the most convenient connections times possible.

Shai Weiss, CEO Virgin Atlantic, commented,
“At Virgin Atlantic we strive to create thoughtful experiences that feel different for our customers and SkyTeam shares that customer first ethos. 2022 marks the year Virgin Atlantic gets back to its best for our customers and people and joining SkyTeam is an important milestone. Our membership will allow us to enhance established relationships with our valued partners at Delta and Air France-KLM, as well as opening up opportunities to collaborate with new airlines. It will enable a seamless customer experience, with an expanded network and maximised loyalty benefits.”

Walter Cho, SkyTeam Chairman said,
“Virgin Atlantic is synonymous with innovation and excellent service, an iconic British airline with a global outlook that puts customers at the heart of its operations - like SkyTeam and its members - and we are delighted to welcome them into our alliance.”

Kristin Colvile, SkyTeam CEO, said,
“As a member of SkyTeam, Virgin Atlantic will benefit from increased opportunities to expand its global network through partnerships and synergies: customers will have more ways to earn and burn miles while enjoying the service for which Virgin Atlantic is renowned. Virgin Atlantic shares SkyTeam’s values, caring for our customers, our employees, and the world in which they live, and we are excited to have them as part of the SkyTeam family.”

Codeshare agreements are already in place with Aeromexico and Middle East Airlines with options for more codeshares to follow. Interline agreements with all SkyTeam members are already in place, providing one touch point for all customers, creating a seamless journey on one ticket.

Virgin Atlantic flies to 12 destinations throughout the USA in partnership with Delta and Air France-KLM including New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and San Francisco. In May the airline launched a brand-new service to Austin, Texas and will start daily flights to Tampa, Florida from November. Virgin Atlantic also operates an extensive Caribbean portfolio including Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica, and The Bahamas. Virgin Atlantic also operates services to Greater China, India, Israel, Nigeria, Pakistan, and South Africa.

SkyTeam members, Delta, Air France and KLM are already collocated at Virgin Atlantic’s home base at London Heathrow Terminal 3. Virgin Atlantic operates long-haul services from UK regional airports including Edinburgh and Manchester. The airline offers a comprehensive network to North America and the Caribbean in partnership with Delta Air Lines, Air France and KLM, and also operates services to Greater China, Israel, Nigeria, Pakistan and South Africa.

About SkyTeam
SkyTeam is dedicated to powering a seamless customer journey, with all members working together to connect millions of passengers across an extensive global network. The members are Aeroflot (suspended), Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, Air Europa, Air France, China Airlines, China Eastern, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Garuda Indonesia, ITA Airways, Kenya Airways, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Air, Middle East Airlines, Saudia, TAROM, Vietnam Airlines, and XiamenAir.
For more information visit http://www.skyteam.com

About Virgin Atlantic        
Virgin Atlantic was founded by entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson in 1984, with innovation and amazing customer service at its core. In 2021, Virgin Atlantic was voted Britain’s only Global Five Star Airline by APEX for the sixth year running in the Official Airline Ratings. Headquartered in London, it employs 6,500 people worldwide, flying customers to 27 destinations across four continents. Alongside shareholder and Joint Venture partner Delta Air Lines, Virgin Atlantic operates a leading transatlantic network, with onward connections to over 200 cities around the world. On 3 February 2020, Air France-KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic launched an expanded Joint Venture, offering a comprehensive route network, convenient flight schedules, competitive fares and reciprocal frequent flyer benefits, including the ability to earn and redeem miles across all carriers.
  
Sustainability remains central to the airline and since September 2019, Virgin Atlantic has welcomed seven brand new Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, helping to transform the fleet into one of the youngest, quietest and most fuel efficient in the sky. By 2022, the airline will operate a streamlined fleet of 38 twin engine aircraft following the retirement of its B747-400s and A340-600s, making its simplified fleet 10% more efficient than before the Covid-19 crisis impacted.  
  
#960719 by Silver Fox
18 Jan 2023, 12:51
Nottingham Nick wrote:Not seen anything definite, but I think Head For Points or someone suggested 14th February - either for an announcement or possible date.

Nick

Thanks Nick, it made me do some legwork, from Head For Points:

Let’s get the key facts out of the way first.

Virgin Atlantic will join SkyTeam in late January 2023. This is a far quicker accession process than usual, because the airline already uses a lot of Delta’s IT systems and has been doing additional upgrades in the background for the past year.

Wait and see I guess.
#960836 by Silver Fox
10 Feb 2023, 16:07
flyingfox wrote:VS will be joining SkyTeam on March 2 as reported by TpG

It will be interesting to see the LHR clubhouse entry rules.
#960837 by mitchja
10 Feb 2023, 16:20
In terms of the LHR Clubhouse, I don't think we will see much difference in all honesty as aren't most of the other SkyTeam airlines in T4?

Noticed when I flew yesterday, the VS app now shows a 'Sky Priority' banner on boarding passes. Paper boarding passes not yet updated as they still just state 'Priority' and VS Apple Wallet boarding passes still don't display any kind of priority banner at all other than the TSA-Pre banner.

A green 'FLYRDY' banner now also has been added to app boarding passes.

The VS check-in agent also attached a yellow 'priority' tag to my luggage (along with the usual Upper Class tag) due to my VS AU status as Delta already do. I don't remember seeing that before with VS.

.....things are clearly lining up now already.
#961013 by Ascot_Ed
01 Mar 2023, 04:24
Once the Skyteam link is live will flights earn VS miles and TP on skyteam partner flights?
I need to pick up 40 TP later in the year to keep VS AU status and something like an Air Europa flight might work well for me if it gained TP.
#961014 by RLF
01 Mar 2023, 09:13
T4 is not very busy most of the day. T3 is. Could we see VS move to T4 or would that be too expensive for VS particularly in terms of the CH ?
#961015 by mitchja
01 Mar 2023, 10:50
RLF wrote:T4 is not very busy most of the day. T3 is. Could we see VS move to T4 or would that be too expensive for VS particularly in terms of the CH ?

I don’t see that happening considering how much investment VS have put into T3. Drive-thru, Upper Class Wing, Revivals lounge, not long ago refurbished Clubhouse etc etc. If anything, other SkyTeam airlines may well move to T3, but who knows?
#961018 by ashs350K
02 Mar 2023, 10:56
They’ve announced that’s it’s official from today but no news on any routes or SkyTeam elite and gold on flying club. Waiting with baited breath
#961019 by CJ17
02 Mar 2023, 11:03
Looks like VS has updated their LHR Clubhouse access policy after officially joining SkyTeam. According to their website, the policy is as follows -

Passengers traveling in the following cabins

Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic + a guest
    Delta One on Delta
    Connecting to La Première on Air France + a guest
    Clase Premier on Aeroméxico

Passengers with the following loyalty status

Flying Club Gold Card members + a guest traveling with Virgin Atlantic, Delta or Aeroméxico
    Delta SkyMiles Diamond and Platinum Medallions + a guest traveling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta
    Flying Blue Platinum members + a guest traveling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta
    All other SkyTeam Elite Plus* members + a guest traveling on Virgin Atlantic, Delta or Aeroméxico
    Virgin Australia Velocity Club Gold, Platinum, and The Club card holders traveling on Virgin Atlantic
    Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold, Solitaire PPS Club and PPS Club members traveling on Virgin Atlantic
    Air New Zealand Gold or Elite members traveling on Virgin Atlantic to San Francisco

*Delta Gold Medallions have access the No. 1 Traveler Lounge and Flying Blue Gold may access the Aspire Lounge when departing or connecting in LHR.

----------

DL Gold still doesn't have access unless flying J. Does anyone think that's a bit unfair compared to other SkyTeam Elite Plus credentials?
Last edited by mitchja on 02 Mar 2023, 11:15, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged into existing SkyTeam thread
#961020 by mitchja
02 Mar 2023, 11:30
ashs350K wrote:SkyTeam elite and gold on flying club.

VS website has been updated with a new SkyTeam section added here.
#961021 by PaulW
02 Mar 2023, 12:06
Great news….

I happen to have a KLM flight from FCO-AMS in a few weeks.

I have had to add my (blue) KLM number as I have about 110,000 miles that I need to keep alive as a result of their two year rule.

I know with One World you can use a lounge with a different frequent flyer card to where you are crediting. Anyone know if this allowed by SkyTeam? ie can I use my VS Au to get into the Rome lounge while collecting KLM points?

Long term will spend those KLM miles and credit only to Virgin now.
#961025 by ashs350K
02 Mar 2023, 17:25
I have a KLM flight booked for April SKyteam is status is not automatically recognised yet. So can't avail the perks yet
#961029 by SDFLYER
03 Mar 2023, 06:51
We are flying MAN - AMS today, just noticed I have hold luggage on my ticket even though I only paid for hand luggage! I am a silver Vs member
#961031 by EstelleB
03 Mar 2023, 12:06
I'm finding the info on this new page a bit confusing so would appreciate advice from the experts here.

It says at one point "To spend points on SkyTeam airline flights, book direct with Virgin Atlantic" which suggests that only those reward seats allocated to VA will be available to book....

However, in the FAQ the answer to "Can I book reward flights with SkyTeam member airlines online" is..."You can book reward flights online with the following airlines......(list inclues Air France, Delta and KLM)"

So when it says 'online' does it just mean VA online, or can I book reward seats direct with Delta etc using Virgin points?

Thanks
#961032 by EstelleB
03 Mar 2023, 12:11
Hit submit too quickly - I had another question

Does anyone know, or would they expect if you would be able to use a CC voucher (for companion or upgrade) now for a route which includes a Delta connection (e.g. MAN - MSY vis ATL)?

Cheers
#961033 by mitchja
03 Mar 2023, 13:58
You have been able to book reward flights on DL/AF/KL online using the VS website for sometime now.

As far as I’m aware, CC voucher use will remain the same i.e. you can only use those on just VS operated flights and nothing else unfortunately.
#961034 by EstelleB
03 Mar 2023, 15:44
Thanks James. What I meant to ask is can I now book a reward seat directly with Delta using Virgin points?

In the past I have found that not all seats that are showing as available on Delta are available through Virgin, butu maybe this won't happen now?

Cheers
#961035 by mitchja
03 Mar 2023, 16:26
No sorry, all reward flights need to be booked and ticketed through VS. No idea if VS will now have access to more of the other alliance airlines reward inventory sorry. I don’t see that changing though especially with DL unfortunately.
Virgin Atlantic