This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961563 by ScoobySu
15 May 2023, 11:16
It was very busy when we arrived about an hour ago but it is now beginning to empty out. Breakfast was lovely and it’s nice to see paper menus are being offered again.

We’re off to LA for the beginning of another road trip this time - down to San Diego for a few nights, then across to Palm Springs before ending in Vegas #happyplace.

Had a bit of a panic last week as to avoid the interstate (and it was originally cheaper than a hire car & fuel) between LA and San Diego we were booked on the Pacific Surfliner - unfortunately there’s been a land slip and the rail line is closed and our specific train was/is cancelled. So it was a last minute car hire booking but fortunately prices seemed to have (almost) reverted to “normal” - we’re paying £40 for an SUV for 24 hours and got a full refund of the $111 for two business class train tickets.
#961566 by ScoobySu
15 May 2023, 12:22
Hi Jimbowimbo. Avis from the dark side - also includes 1 additional driver (although not necessary in California). We also rebooked our three day hire from San Diego to Vegas from £225 to £120. The weekend you’re booked for is a holiday weekend though so that may be impacting prices?
#961569 by Hev60
15 May 2023, 14:35
Enjoy your road trip. Shame about your train journey. We did that journey in reverse a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery. Hope the car drive works okay for you. Hev

** On a separate note for anyone using Avis Car rental :-O

This rental company have recently reduced their Third Party Liability from $1m to $500,000 cover.

Prior to renting out of Tampa recently, I had endless email contact withBA where I booked the rental car and Avis direct. BA couldn’t care less! and Avis just confirmed the cover reduction.

At present all other US rental firms offer their TPL/SLI cover at $1m.

On another forum I use, folk apparently advise taking out an additional cover at £80+ but we risked it and fortunately all was okay. However thought I would update anyone who is unaware of this major development.
#961572 by CommanderB
15 May 2023, 19:51
Enjoy!

Note on the car rental insurance change... that's significant because if you're unlucky enough to be in an accident.. US medical care runs into tens of thousands or more very quickly. Not to mention less compensation. Try and stick to million-dollar policies where possible is my advice.
Virgin Atlantic