This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961731 by steveb
10 Jun 2023, 14:07
Hi all,

How long before the flight is it likely that VS may consider an upgrade with points?

Reason why I ask is, whilst the cabin seems pretty open right now there is no availability for rewards. VS customer services said I can try at the airport, but wondering whether it’s worth trying 48 or 24 hours before also or is that a no no? I’m kinda hoping I might be able to combine it with a switch to an earlier flight that day as well so don’t want to leave it to the airport to give it a try.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
#961732 by CommanderB
10 Jun 2023, 14:16
If reward availability opens up on either flight, you can call the ticketing team anytime BEFORE online checkin opens and do the upgrade (fare bucket/rules apply).

Once check in opens, this will have to be done at the airport and isn’t dependant in reward seats being available (but of course if they are, it’s easier). At the airport, staff can do upgrades for cash or points, as long as there’s seats in upper. It can be done after check in closes too, but it gets a bit harder then and some staff may be against doing that. It does happen though, certainly in cases when they flights busy and they have to move people - they’ll happily take your points if it frees up a seat for them. Believe me, the rule book often goes out of the window with VS airport staff in my experience.

I’ve been told point blank, VS policy is to allow points upgrades on departure day if there is a physical seat available. That was recently in the London Clubhouse, but YMMV of course.

If the flight load is quiet, I’d expect to see reward seats opening 7 days before check in opens.

All else fails, try at the airport.

Feel free to report back here and let us know how it goes.