This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961983 by scruickshank
17 Jul 2023, 22:42
I have to say as LHR-DXB was my most used route I was somewhat delighted to and shocked to see it return. Call me cynical but I do have a few observations. It makes me chuckle to hear the old “the load factors were poor” chat getting rolled out. It was almost rammed every flight I sat on but you tend to get used to the haters when it comes to opinions on Dubai sadly. So many staff I speak to live there and commute to fly etc. it was a real blow when it got pulled. There seem however to be a few things that don’t add up. Starting the schedule pretty much the day the October school holidays end, ending the service pretty much the day the Easter holidays begin. The terrible outbound time. It’s not gone unnoticed the lack of the standard VS fanfare “Weeeee’rrrrree back!” Marketing campaigns. It’s almost a well kept secret. Trying to book the flights is tricky even for seasoned pro. U need to memorise the operation days or the website simple pops up the “we do not fly to and from these destinations” banner, which is lies.
I just get the impression this flight is being operated under some form of duress. It sure feels like it. I’d love to see it back as it was daily. It was even discussed a twice daily rotation back in the day. You can bark on about the competition but the whole reason we are all here is surely as we would all rather sit on VS metal to DXB again. KLM is nothing short of grim, the food is horrific too. I personally can’t wait to get back onboard.
#961987 by Kraken
18 Jul 2023, 10:06
Given the dates of the LHR-DXB flights operating (i.e. IATA Winter season) it looks very much like a LHR slot-sitter flight so VS can guarantee to keep the slots, then use them somewhere more profitable for the IATA Summer season.

Going up against Emirates who have about 12 daily flights to DXB from the London airports (before you include their regional airport flights) + BA's daily flights is madness. But when a LHR slot-pair is valued at £millions... it all of a sudden makes sense. I would imagine that DXB is probably also pretty W & J heavy (just look at the hotel prices out there) so this softens the blow a little for VS.
#961988 by Claphambear
18 Jul 2023, 10:15
LHR-DXB is a popular route. One I have used extensively and already booked for early 2024 so I am delighted it is back . I think it will go daily once VS get more deliveries of aircraft (that is what we were told) and maybe another route in Europe may in the in offering ….. oddly (if clubhouse rumour is to be believed ) ??
#961990 by Murraymint
18 Jul 2023, 15:09
Claphambear wrote:LHR-DXB is a popular route. One I have used extensively and already booked for early 2024 so I am delighted it is back . I think it will go daily once VS get more deliveries of aircraft (that is what we were told) and maybe another route in Europe may in the in offering ….. oddly (if clubhouse rumour is to be believed ) ??

Would be very surprised if a European route was added- although, every time I’m in the clubhouse or on the phone,, I’m always saying how great it would be if we could fly from Cyprus to the US on VS. Maybe someone took note :-D
#961993 by VS075
18 Jul 2023, 21:56
scruickshank wrote:I have to say as LHR-DXB was my most used route I was somewhat delighted to and shocked to see it return. Call me cynical but I do have a few observations. It makes me chuckle to hear the old “the load factors were poor” chat getting rolled out. It was almost rammed every flight I sat on but you tend to get used to the haters when it comes to opinions on Dubai sadly. So many staff I speak to live there and commute to fly etc. it was a real blow when it got pulled. There seem however to be a few things that don’t add up. Starting the schedule pretty much the day the October school holidays end, ending the service pretty much the day the Easter holidays begin. The terrible outbound time. It’s not gone unnoticed the lack of the standard VS fanfare “Weeeee’rrrrree back!” Marketing campaigns. It’s almost a well kept secret. Trying to book the flights is tricky even for seasoned pro. U need to memorise the operation days or the website simple pops up the “we do not fly to and from these destinations” banner, which is lies.
I just get the impression this flight is being operated under some form of duress. It sure feels like it. I’d love to see it back as it was daily. It was even discussed a twice daily rotation back in the day. You can bark on about the competition but the whole reason we are all here is surely as we would all rather sit on VS metal to DXB again. KLM is nothing short of grim, the food is horrific too. I personally can’t wait to get back onboard.

I’d be careful about judging the success of a route based on load factors alone. We don’t know how much the seats were sold for and how many of these were sold as points redemptions. Cargo loads can also play a role in keeping certain routes open even if the passenger loadings aren’t great.
#962041 by MANflyer
23 Jul 2023, 22:18
flyingfox wrote:More details from VS Trade;
Our summer seasonal A350 flights from Manchester join our daily Heathrow service from 3rd June 2024, departing three times a week.

Does anyone know the end date for these 'summer' MAN-LAS flights?

I've done a bit of Googling, but all I can find is the first flight is Sunday June 2nd
and the booking engine only shows as far as mid June because of the 330 day rule.

I'd much rather go early October, but will the flights have finished by then?

I know I could ask Virgin themselves, but I doubt the call centre staff would
be able to give a definitive answer...
#962047 by MANflyer
25 Jul 2023, 11:29
DaveVal wrote:From Virginholidays website.

Manchester
2nd June 2024 to 25th October 2024
Virgin Atlantic's seasonal service from Manchester takes off three times a week, available to book now.

Fantastic - I knew someone on here would know!

Incidentally, my wife phoned Virgin Atlantic (managed to get through to Swansea) before I saw
this reply and as I suspected they just said "dates beyond the end of June 2024 are not in the
booking system - you'll need to check again in a couple of months".

Class Virgin 'computer says no'...
Virgin Atlantic