This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962205 by 5549
03 Oct 2021, 18:46
Looks like Virgin have changed my equipment on my flight to LA.

Anyone know why this would be? I thought VS7 was always an A350? LHR>LAX being probably their most prestige route other than LHR>NYC?
#962207 by mitchja
03 Oct 2021, 19:27
It's got nothing to do with prestige. It's all about bang for buck and which route fits best with which A/C based on many things such as pax or cargo loads.

Quite a few A/C changes this weekend. MAN>JFK & ATL has switched from an A333 to a B789.
#962214 by 5549
04 Oct 2021, 08:52
Hm, not sure I agree with you on that. A few reasons. The VS7 route, afaik, has been an A350 for almost 2 years now? I have not personally seen a 787 in a very long time on that route. When VS first got their 50s they made a big deal of them going on their prime routes.. LAX and NYC.

During covid they continued to operate the 50s on that route even though they had limited SLC.

Something has changed, I wonder if they are about to lose some of their 50s OoS for a while? It looks like the 787 is slated to run through into Feb 2022 at least.
#962215 by mediamonkey
04 Oct 2021, 09:39
I've noticed my outbound of VS7 has also changed to a 787, although the VS23 that day is still showing as a A350 and the return on VS24 is a A350.

Any chances it'll change back?
#962224 by papadoc
04 Oct 2021, 15:55
My VS7 for Feb has changed to a 787, but the return on VS24 is still showing as an A350 for now.
A bit annoyed as it has totally altered our seat reservations in Premium,.
#962226 by ColOrd
04 Oct 2021, 17:48
The 350 didn’t really start on LA before the Pandemic kicked in!

Generally speaking the 23 is the more popular of the two flights hence why the 350k will normally be on the 23 and the 7 alternates between the 789 and 35K
#962235 by 5549
05 Oct 2021, 15:34
Welp, 1.5 hours later on hold with Virgin and they can move us onto the later flight which is still showing as an A350 for the small sum of £4400.

Really, really disappointed. My wife has never flown UC before and booked this for our 10 year wedding anniversary - showed her the seat and cabin and she was so excited (as was I tbh) and now, well I am going to have to break the bad news to her that its not what she was expecting.

Ahh well, first world problems and everything I guess we just have to roll with it could be worse things I have to deal with.
#962240 by mitchja
05 Oct 2021, 21:43
Wigster wrote:Just found out VS4 has changed from 350 to 787 as well for a March flight. VS3 remains the same. Could it be the same issues that Qatar have? >-(

I very much doubt it. I believe the cracking paint issues are isolated to Qatar A350’s and as far as I’m aware no other carriers have experienced this issue with their A350’s.

All 7 VS A350’s are currently operating flights; just not the ones people were hoping for.

VS A350’s have op’ed other routes such as LHR>ATL, LHR>HKG and even MAN>ISB
#962250 by AlsirAl
07 Oct 2021, 00:44
5549 wrote:Welp, 1.5 hours later on hold with Virgin and they can move us onto the later flight which is still showing as an A350 for the small sum of £4400.

Really, really disappointed. My wife has never flown UC before and booked this for our 10 year wedding anniversary - showed her the seat and cabin and she was so excited (as was I tbh) and now, well I am going to have to break the bad news to her that its not what she was expecting.

Ahh well, first world problems and everything I guess we just have to roll with it could be worse things I have to deal with.

Not sure why your really disappointed, the 787 is fantastic! Yes it’s the older uc seat but if your wife has never flown J before then I’m sure she will still be very impressed. The old seat really isn’t that bad!

Don’t forget dreamliners have a bar! Wonder up and order a vodka martini and pretend your James Bond (dont knock it till you’ve tried it)

Ultimately your experience will come down to 2 things, what you make of it and quality of the crew. I’ve flown J and F on the worlds best airlines with a significantly better hard product than Virgin yet nearly always have a better experience with them due to their fantastic staff!
#962251 by mandeeuk
07 Oct 2021, 06:17
Our vs8 was pushed back a couple of hours giving us just over 2 hours at LHR to navigate immigration and baggage claim and get to terminal 5 for our flight to Glasgow on ba. thoughts? Should we hire a vip meet and greet service to get us through more quickly. Has anyone used one at lhr?
#962254 by ColOrd
07 Oct 2021, 12:59
5549 wrote:Welp, 1.5 hours later on hold with Virgin and they can move us onto the later flight which is still showing as an A350 for the small sum of £4400.

I have to say that whilst the 350 is the newest product, the 787's all have great IFE, and personally, I find the seat just as comfortable as as the new one. The crew make the experience so I wouldnt see this as a downgrade at all!
#962256 by 5549
07 Oct 2021, 15:06
The issue is I showed my wife the 350 cabin, the seat, IFE, tail cam, loft etc etc. I also said its way better (which IMHO it probably is) than the old seat bla bla bla. We specifically booked LHR for the 350 and the new cabin. We could have booked our local airport (MAN) and gone to another destination in UC in the old product. So now I have to drive 250 miles each way to get on an aircraft with a product I could have flown from my home airport.

I guess in hindsight I should have kept my gob closed just in case they changed the aircraft but honestly I did not expect them to do so given the fact its been in service with the 350 for all of this year AND its a route they made such a fanfare about the 350 servicing at launch I just thought they would never take such a backwards step.

I appreciate its not a big deal for those who fly regularly but we don't fly a lot and flying business is a very very rare opportunity for us so its just a shame we are on what is basically a 20 year old product when we booked for the brand new product.

Its all FWP though.

But it is very disappointing - to me - as the paying customer - which is all that counts in my book. If all 350s are still in service when we take the 787 flight then IMHO its poor form from Virgin to move things around like that.
#962259 by ColOrd
07 Oct 2021, 17:51
Aircraft changes happen, and you are paying no more
to travel on a 350 than you would a 787. it’s worse with Qatar where they charge a premium for Q Suite and change aircraft with increasing regularity.

The real benefit of going from LHR is the LHR ground experience, drive through checkin which is a novelty no other airline has and one of the most unique features of VS at LHR, it simply must be done! And then the outstanding LHR Clubhouse.

On board, you still have the bar, which IMO is a
better social space than the loft and more “social”. I think you’re looking at this all wrong to be so hung up
on thé 350!
#962267 by mattyp
07 Oct 2021, 22:12
I agree with the above - if you fly Upper very rarely then it will be a big treat whichever aircraft you’re on.

I get that you’re disappointed about the change, but once you’re in the Clubhouse you’ll soon be having a fabulous time. You’ll both probably end up enjoying it even more than the A350 as you’re going into this with low expectations!

Please make sure you do a TR!

:D
#962268 by deep_south
07 Oct 2021, 23:18
Given the "flexible booking policy" I can only presume you are in a cheap fare bucket that isn't available on the 24. Try doing a new online booking, and maybe a day or so before or after, and that may give a better result.

I recently changed a Delta LAX to HNL and the Air France call centre wanted to charge me £2,350 for the change for 2 returns, I called them and pointed out the Delta rebooking covid policy of only charging the fare difference, and it then changed to £12.

So maybe try again?
#962282 by porterhouse100
08 Oct 2021, 21:16
A lot of the recent 787/A350 changes are simply to do with competition. BA is the natural 'enemy' and doesn't fly from Manchester, so Manchester gets the 787 with no pod.
SFO has been serviced - in some cases twice a day - by BA for some weeks and some of the flights are being serviced with flights that have pods, over the old Club, so Virgin has responded with putting A350's on the SFO route to avoid BA owning it. I prefer VS but if the price/award price was the same, I would go for a BA pod over 787 upper.
Just a numbers game - but I think there will be more changes to come, and some for the better. There are many years of life left in the 787's so only a matter of time before they get upgraded.
Virgin Atlantic