Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#963023 by Scarebus350
22 Dec 2023, 22:07
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This trip has been booked since the spring, taking the ourselves and the 2 kids to Canada skiing over the Christmas holidays via SEA. We’d decided to use our 2 CC vouchers and re-book our entire trip after cancelling a convoluted ex-EU BA/AA itinerary when AA cancelled their LHR-SEA flights in March.

We stayed over at LHR the night before as part of a Heathrow parking package, so we got a night at the HGI included with the meet & greet parking for the same price as the meet and greet on its own.

When we booked, we’d been put on 2 separate bookings (something to do with the vouchers I believe), so I’d tried OLCI the previous day and been unable to check the kids in properly, as their passports needed verifying despite all of the pre-flight info being up to date on the website and Flyrdy. We turned up at check-in at about 6.45am and UC was a zoo. Not enough staff, no proper queue management in place, and people queue surfing trying to cut in at different desks.

We eventually got sorted, the bags dropped off and the skis left with the guys on the oversize luggage cart. We went in the lift up to security and that was a decent experience. Found our way through the duty free bonanza, picking up a bottle of Mermaid Zest gin on the way which I highly recommend.

Went to the clubhouse, where we were promptly shown to a table in the brasserie. The staff were attentive and we ordered breakfast. The boys had the full English, I had the eggs royale and our daughter had some fruit and pastries. The food was nice, and coffees and teas were kept topped up. Top marks there.

After breakfast, we decamped to the window area behind the bar. We ordered various glasses of bubbles, all in the name of quality checking of course, my only criticism is that the glasses seemed to empty themselves quite quickly. I also had a margarita, but that was not one of the best that I’d had, so I didn’t bother with another. I also tried some charcuterie from the deli, with some nice sourdough and the beetroot gravdlax, which I thought was nice. They gave me a massive portion of that, which was nice.

Boarding was called at 11.35 so off we set for gate 17. We got stopped at the doors just before the gate whilst another flight disembarked. Had to laugh at the woman having a DYKWIA moment as her flight was boarding, but that’s why we were all there. She tried shoving her way to the front but that door wasn’t opening for anyone.

The gate was deserted when we finally got past the door. Despite me putting all of the info into FLYRDY, hubby was asked where we were staying in Seattle when his passport was scanned, and they had to put the info in again. No idea why, so we held up the queue whilst the info was input.

Finally got onboard, we were warmly greeted by the CSM and shown to our seats. The FA looking after us also introduced herself. Pre-departure beverages were offered. I had the ruby slipper, which was a nice change from the usual offerings.

After take off, service began with the bar service, so I tried a g&t. We all went for the Serrano ham starter. We’d all pre-ordered the mains, so hubby and I had the belly pork, daughter the sweet & sour pork and son had the herb roasted chicken. The belly pork was really nice, but the portions were on the small side and there was definitely not enough sauce. This was followed by the chocolate delice, which was lovely. Hubby had the bread pudding, he said that was also nice.

Our routing took us well to the north of Iceland, so the sun set and we were in a perpetual state of dusk for a few hours, and the crew shut down service as if it were a night flight.

Hubby decided to test out the light bites by asking for an afternoon tea mid-flight. The request was met with some initial resistance, but after politely pointing out the text in the menu and some backtracking by the crew, one was produced. We also had ice cream, and random cheese toasties were also produced, presumably from PE where they hadn’t been eaten.

The sun eventually started to rise again as we started to fly south over Canada, and the crew sprang into action with afternoon tea. I had the Bao bun which was lovely. The others went for the flatbread, which was pronounced to be bland and tasteless.

We landed in a rainy Seattle about 20 minutes early. Baggage reclaim was a disaster. Our priority bags came off dead last, beaten by the skis coming out of oversize before the cases came off the belt. As a result we got mixed up with the other flights that landed at the same time, and it took 90 minutes from exiting the plane to exiting immigration. Absolute epic fail on that front.

All in all, quite a decent experience which was completely let down by the ground experience at both ends. The flight itself was quiet, with plenty of empty seats in upper, and no bad behaviour. We’ll see what the return is like in a couple of weeks.
#963024 by Murraymint
23 Dec 2023, 09:10
Thank you for your TR. The priority luggage delivery is a bit of a lottery isn’t it. I’ve had good and bad experiences at many different airports and with different airlines. I guess it’s just your luck as to how the handlers load and unload. At least the flight was good- enjoy the skiing!
#963033 by Scarebus350
23 Dec 2023, 23:03
Yeah it’s the absolute shambles of priority luggage tagging that annoys me. It’s the same on BA sadly. Other airlines manage to get it right, so just makes sure it’s properly done.

Anyway, I’ve fed back via the online form so we’ll see what they say
#963037 by ColOrd
24 Dec 2023, 20:20
The light bites menu is weird cos it was always the case on west coast flights it was a snacking menu after main meal and up to the second meal service. I’ve requested a snack from it mid flight and had no issues.

Now on East Coast flights I’ve never seen the crew work it like that and always just been a second meal service.

Since Covid although the menu still says it’s a snacking service any time, I do find not many crews work it that way.
#963038 by Scarebus350
24 Dec 2023, 23:23
Yeah it’s weird. It seems like a half way house that’s neither one nor the other.

If you have the light bites as a second meal service, say so. Don’t offer something as a grazing menu then when someone decides to graze, don’t make them feel like criminals for actually having the temerity to ask for it because that’s what they’re led to believe they can do.
Virgin Atlantic