This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963759 by mitchja
14 Apr 2024, 16:31
Flying LHR>JFK next week and here is the latest Upper Class menu:

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 16.19.31.png
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 16.19.31.png (420.83 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

More Details

Truffle Butter Breaded Chicken - with hasselback potatoes, wilted greens, baby carrots and parsley sauce
Pan Seared Sea Bream - with a brown butter sauce, mushroom duxelles potato purée and broccolini
Rainbow Banh Mi Rice Salad Bowl (ve) - with warm teriyaki tofu (ve)
Spiced Chicken (halal) - with jerk ketchup, jollof rice, fried plantain and coriander oil (halal)
Butter Chicken - with coriander rice, garlic fried okra and mini naans
Roasted Red Pepper Soup (v) (EXPRESS) - with west country cheddar and sundried tomato toastie (v)
*Wild Boar and Apple Sausages - with sherry jus, warm summer salad and spring onion mashed potato
*Miso Glazed Cauliflower (v) - with cavolo nero, tabouleh, crispy onions and a herb yoghurt dressing (v)
*Herb Roasted Salmon Caesar Salad - with boiled eggs and crispy croutons
*Truffle Macaroni Cheese (v) - with wild mushrooms, shaved italian cheese, crispy capers and garlic crumb (v)

*only available if you pre-order.

(there's usually fewer options when flying from MAN)

The pre-select / pre-order webpage is https://preselect.virginatlantic.com/gb/index.html
#963762 by mitchja
14 Apr 2024, 17:23
On board will be the same and excludes those 4 pre-order exclusive options.

There’s the afternoon snack service as well but that can’t be pre-ordered.

I've added the pre-order website link as well. Pre-order menus can be selected from 7 days before departure.
#963763 by buns
14 Apr 2024, 17:25
Thanks for this James - as Mrs B said to me ""You can rely on James" :)

From a personal perspective, the absence of simple, plain food in this menu cycle once again does make you wonder what planet Crawley Towers are actually on :-(

I also wonder if they have done anything to address the merge portion sizes of the last cycle.

Thanks once again

Buns
#963772 by jilly
15 Apr 2024, 12:21
Have a good flight James. Be interesting to see what some of these dishes look like, we fly to MCO this week. Can usually rely on you to fly a few days before to see the new menu with pics. :D - either we're a bit earlier or you're later.

Noticed that the early Heathrow to Orlando flight has a different menu with Brunch instead of lunch, TBH that looks much more appealing and sounds like a good idea.

I've ordered the Salmon and my husband has ordered the Truffle chicken, hopefully it'll taste better than it sounds but sure we'll find plenty of options in the Clubhouse beforehand anyway.

Jilly
#963773 by Razorback
15 Apr 2024, 12:47
EstelleB wrote: hope that these aren't the options that we get flying out of MAN in the Summer!

I suspect that MAN will get a small subset of these options, maybe the truffle butter chicken, bream and rainbow rice with a couple of the pre-order options if we are lucky!
#963774 by 15isto2
15 Apr 2024, 15:26
Razorback wrote:
EstelleB wrote: hope that these aren't the options that we get flying out of MAN in the Summer!

I suspect that MAN will get a small subset of these options, maybe the truffle butter chicken, bream and rainbow rice with a couple of the pre-order options if we are lucky!

I suppose if you dont like the options you can always eat in the clubhouse before the flight :-(
#963788 by mitchja
17 Apr 2024, 09:56
Here is JFK>LHR inbound Upper Class menus:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 09.48.04.png
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 09.48.04.png (301.92 KiB) Viewed 763 times

More Details

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast - potato bread gratin,blanched broccolini with spring onion cream sauce
Summer Vegetable Tart (v) - grilled courgettes, asparagus, mushrooms, sundried tomato pesto and crumbled goats cheese (v)
Lamb Koftas - turmeric rice, grilled peppers and tomato, harissa yoghurt with warmed pitta bread
Asparagus Soup (v) (EXPRESS) - with a gruyère cheese toastie (v)
*Duck Confit - with blue cheese smashed potatoes ,toasted baby carrots and courgettes with port wine demi glase
*Salt and Vinegar Crusted Baked Cod - with potato wedges, green peas, blistered tomatoes with lemon and caper butter sauce
*Rosemary and Goats Cheese Tortellini (v) - with spinach, shiitake mushrooms and roasted red peppers (v)
*Vegetable curry (ve) - in a coconut curry sauce (ve)

(there's usually fewer options when flying to MAN)
#963789 by Murraymint
17 Apr 2024, 11:12
mitchja wrote:Flying LHR>JFK next week and here is the latest Upper Class menu:

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 16.19.31.png

More Details

Truffle Butter Breaded Chicken - with hasselback potatoes, wilted greens, baby carrots and parsley sauce
Pan Seared Sea Bream - with a brown butter sauce, mushroom duxelles potato purée and broccolini
Rainbow Banh Mi Rice Salad Bowl (ve) - with warm teriyaki tofu (ve)
Spiced Chicken (halal) - with jerk ketchup, jollof rice, fried plantain and coriander oil (halal)
Butter Chicken - with coriander rice, garlic fried okra and mini naans
Roasted Red Pepper Soup (v) (EXPRESS) - with west country cheddar and sundried tomato toastie (v)
*Wild Boar and Apple Sausages - with sherry jus, warm summer salad and spring onion mashed potato
*Miso Glazed Cauliflower (v) - with cavolo nero, tabouleh, crispy onions and a herb yoghurt dressing (v)
*Herb Roasted Salmon Caesar Salad - with boiled eggs and crispy croutons
*Truffle Macaroni Cheese (v) - with wild mushrooms, shaved italian cheese, crispy capers and garlic crumb (v)

(there's usually fewer options when flying from MAN)

The pre-select / pre-order webpage is https://preselect.virginatlantic.com/gb/index.html

For our Upper Class MAN-MCO on Tuesday we only have 4 to choose from. The first 3 on the list from James plus the soup.
#963790 by jon81uk
17 Apr 2024, 11:20
40bb wrote:Thank you for this. I am flying UC next week. My question is- onboard will there be additional different options or a slim line version of these exact dishes?

Just the first three mains will be onboard, the breaded chicken, sea bass and the tofu. Its always just three mains onboard.

Not sure why the butter chicken and spiced chicken dishes are not marked as exclusive but are pre-order only, my assumption is they are Premium class choices as well so not exclusive to UC
#963792 by buns
17 Apr 2024, 16:57
James
Thank you for the return flight menu details

Equally unimpressed with the way VS wants to douse everything >-( If it were a restaurant in the high street you might be inclined to think such “enhancements” to the dishes are merely disguising poor basic ingredients

Just feel so sorry for the flight crew having to serve the dishes :)

Buns
#963793 by mitchja
17 Apr 2024, 17:06
I’ve chosen the Sea Bream for the flight out tomorrow (was torn between that or the Mac & cheese). Will let you know what it’s like.

Nothing for my return as I rarely eat dinner on-board on over-night flights, just a light breakfast onboard before landing then a full breakfast in Revivals. I’ll eat in the JFK clubhouse before departure.
#963794 by Treelo
17 Apr 2024, 17:39
mitchja wrote:I’ve chosen the Sea Bream for the flight out tomorrow (was torn between that or the Mac & cheese). Will let you know what it’s like.

Nothing for my return as I rarely eat dinner on-board on over-night flights, just a light breakfast onboard before landing then a full breakfast in Revivals. I’ll eat in the JFK clubhouse before departure.

Interested to get your views on this James. It is the only dish from the (as usual) reduced MAN menu that appeals to me.
#963798 by CommanderB
17 Apr 2024, 19:55
The menu has become so unacceptable I got a premium meal (Mac & cheese) on my LAX flight this week. Much better than the upper options (but then again I do love junk food).
#963801 by jon81uk
Yesterday, 09:51
CommanderB wrote:The menu has become so unacceptable I got a premium meal (Mac & cheese) on my LAX flight this week. Much better than the upper options (but then again I do love junk food).

What makes it "unacceptable" to you? Is it just not to your tastes as its too fancy or is it changes compared to previous flights?
Virgin Atlantic