#962081 by SDFLYER
03 Aug 2023, 07:36
Does any know how you do the above for the iPhone 14? We are travelling through the USA and Canada later this year and want cheap roaming, calls etc

Thanks in advance,

Steve
#962085 by mitchja
03 Aug 2023, 14:14
There are several eSIM providers for International roaming. You order the eSIM online from one of the eSIM providers using the iPhone you want the eSIM on; which there are several to choose from and then download it to your iPhone before you travel.

Which UK network do you use though as EE do include roaming in the USA & Canada (and 4 other non-EU and well as all EU countries) on certain plans (plans that comes with inclusive extras - then select the roam abroad pass).

Taking a trip far away? Our Roam Abroad Pass keeps you connected without costing the Earth. Use your inclusive minutes, texts and data in the EU, USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand and it won’t cost you any extra – so there’s no nasty surprises when you return home.

I use EE and my SIM only plan includes this. All calls texts and 4G/5G data when roaming are included (upto 25Gb of roaming data).

Vodafone also used to offer a similar plan that included USA and a few other none-EU countries though no idea if they still do?

I don't think any of the other UK networks include EU roaming (apart from O2) let alone none-EU roaming any more (all thanks to Brexit)!
#962096 by SDFLYER
04 Aug 2023, 09:38
mitchja wrote:There are several eSIM providers for International roaming. You order the eSIM online from one of the eSIM providers using the iPhone you want the eSIM on; which there are several to choose from and then download it to your iPhone before you travel.

Which UK network do you use though as EE do include roaming in the USA & Canada (and 4 other non-EU and well as all EU countries) on certain plans (plans that comes with inclusive extras - then select the roam abroad pass).

Taking a trip far away? Our Roam Abroad Pass keeps you connected without costing the Earth. Use your inclusive minutes, texts and data in the EU, USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand and it won’t cost you any extra – so there’s no nasty surprises when you return home.

I use EE and my SIM only plan includes this. All calls texts and 4G/5G data when roaming are included (upto 25Gb of roaming data).

Vodafone also used to offer a similar plan that included USA and a few other none-EU countries though no idea if they still do?

I don't think any of the other UK networks include EU roaming (apart from O2) let alone none-EU roaming any more (all thanks to Brexit)!

Thanks James, I am currently on o2 with free USA roaming, the issue is that we don't get a very good signal in the area we live in, mast problems apparently, also when in the US I find the 4G really slow, and cannot get 5G. I have heard good things about EE, would you recommend them?

Thanks,
Steve
#962097 by chumba
04 Aug 2023, 11:22
I have a 3 PAYG Sim which includes go roam in 71 countries including the US.

You can get them direct from 3 for £10 on Amazon, preloaded with £10 credit, when you activate it you use the £10 to buy a 3O day package unlimited calls, texts and 10GB data. UK number so people can call you from their inclusive calls.

I put my UK number on divert to it to make it easier to receive calls.

Only physical SIM though 3 don't do PAYG e-sim, but I don't have aphysicla sim in my opine so not. problem.
#962099 by mitchja
04 Aug 2023, 13:55
Three no longer include roaming (both EU and none-EU) on all plans; both new and upgrades started on or after 1st October 2021 - again all thanks to Brexit.

From this page:

Daily roaming charges
Unless stated otherwise, there’s a daily roaming charge to unlock your UK allowance for 24 hours in Go Roam destinations. You'll be charged as soon as you use any of your plan's allowances in a Go Roam destination.

Europe
£2
a day

Around the world
£5
a day

If you’re on Pay As You Go, or your Pay Monthly plan started before 1 October 2021, these charges won’t apply

I've just checked Vodafone, and they have done exactly the same on all plans since August 2021 as well.

Since Brexit, inclusive roaming with most UK networks mobile plans (both pay monthly and PAYG) has basically all but gone now.
#962997 by locutus
19 Dec 2023, 12:46
But late I know, but may help some..

Just had a weekend in NYC, so thought I'd try out an Airhub eSIM.

Android or Apple (not affiliate links)

I went with the $13 unlimited data/calls/texts t-mobile eSIM. (£11.38 on my fx free credit card) They do lots of other types and countries as well

Shortly after purchase I received the QR code, and a system notification that the SIM was ready to install. Once I arrived at JFK I installed the SIM from the notification. Took a few mins to activate, but then data worked.

Speeds were mostly around 200Mb/s and didn't have any issues with it over the weekend. For the price, seemed a great deal for a short trip away. Getting a US number can be useful for things like food deliveries too.

I've noticed recently that Vodafone and EE roaming in NYC has been slower than it used to be, often around 20Mb/s. You do get a UK IP though, so you can still download from BBC Sounds, which can be handy!
Virgin Atlantic