This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962159 by EstelleB
13 Aug 2023, 13:57
Our dates will be released shortly for next Summer flying MAN-MCO and we are having debates about which flights to take. There are 2 times, both outbound and inbound, for each one plane is the A330-300 and the other the A350-1000 - I was looking for opinions on both the PE and UC cabins (not sure how many upgrade vouchers I still have) but also if anyone knows if any of these are likely to be upgraded to the new neo planes?

We will certainly have enough points/vouchers for the 4 of us to fly one way PE and one UC - I'd prefer to fly home UC so I get some sleep (I get awful jet lag and can't sleep in a chair) but my adult kids liked the experience of the day UC flight so this is currently under negotiation!

Specific questions then - I think we flew PE on the 350-1000 last year and I was not a fan of the 2-4-2 PE configuration, but my understanding is that this plane has the better UC seats? We flew recently home MBJ-LHR on the 787-9 in UC and it looks like the 330-300 also has those flip over seats?

Any opinions welcome, including whether people would use the upgrades for outbound or inbound! Cheers
#962161 by EstelleB
13 Aug 2023, 16:46
Thanks Kraken. Having watched some videos, some reviewers seem to conclude that the A350 has a better UC seat for day flights, but not if you actually want to sleep - would you agree with this?

I need to sleep on my side and it didn't look like this would be possible with your feet in that cubby hole (I managed it just on the 787) but I did like the idea of just reclining the seat how I wanted rather than having to get up and flip it over!
#962162 by CommanderB
13 Aug 2023, 17:19
I'm no fan of the A350. I actively avoid it for both day flights and night flights. VS just cocked up that plane in my opinion. The BA Club suite is just better and it's based on the same underlying product.

I'd opt for A330/787 where possible.

That being said, planning flights around specific aircraft does run the risk of VS changing equipment and you getting something you don't want anyway. So bear that in mind.
#962163 by philsiu02
13 Aug 2023, 18:45
Just to balance things out, I like the A350. It’s cramped in economy although not the worst I’ve been in. PE is decent and I really like the UC seats.

I had the choice of the A330 and the A350 for my next flight, and I picked the A350.
Last edited by philsiu02 on 13 Aug 2023, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
#962165 by David
13 Aug 2023, 19:09
Have a look at my TR from a few weeks ago

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=300878

The one comment from many reviews (not necessarily from this site but from other “experts” ) that confuses me is the irritation of having to get up for the old upper seat as opposed to the newer recline all the way to a bed one.

Surely for both seats you have to physically get out of the seat to make your bed up so what’s the difference between a flip over or a recline ??

Another issue for me was the cramped feel of the A350 upper cabin compared to the A333. Granted nothing will ever compare to the wide open upper cabin of the jumbos but the A350 feels so cramped

David
#962167 by mikethe3rd
13 Aug 2023, 20:28
If aircraft type is important to you, I wouldn’t recommend booking this far out as it will likely change and you’ll just be disappointed. I equally understand the need to book if you want the guaranteed reward seats at a peak time of travel. With that in mind, I’d book the flight times and cabin you’ll enjoy most.

One thought… the kids fly outbound in UC and home in PE, and the reverse for you guys? At least that way you’d get the UC ground and baggage benefits for all flights. Maybe the MAN CH will be open by then ;-)
#962168 by mitchja
13 Aug 2023, 20:37
Worth remembering as well that VS are getting more A350s over the next 12 months which I believe will all be in the low 16 Upper Class seats ‘leisure’ config so there’s every chance these will be used on the MCO route from both LHR and MAN for both daily flights at some point especially over the summer.
#962171 by EstelleB
14 Aug 2023, 13:23
Thanks everyone, some really valuable input!

What I can take from this I think is to get our flights bagged as soon as relevant reward seats become available - if they swap out the planes for ones with fewer UC seats then presumably there will also be fewer reward seats released?

Oh and I am quite prepared to leave my adult kids in PE for the return whilst I get some sleep in UC, but not sure I want to sit on my own in PE for the outbound when they are in UC! For this reason I just double-boosted on our recent flights and have established that I still have 2 vouchers to use!

Thanks again
Virgin Atlantic