This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962866 by evanspa1
28 Nov 2023, 17:38
As VS taxes / fees have gone through the roof I’m not sure what the latest cash cost (taxes / junk fees) to upgrade from PE to UC is LAX-LHR when using points? Does anybody have a recent data point? Thanks
#962870 by CommanderB
28 Nov 2023, 22:35
evanspa1 wrote:As VS taxes / fees have gone through the roof I’m not sure what the latest cash cost (taxes / junk fees) to upgrade from PE to UC is LAX-LHR when using points? Does anybody have a recent data point? Thanks

£330. It's now a fixed price, rather than a difference in YQ (Something I am fighting very hard with because its extremely penalising for those who've already paid a ton of YQ).

I did this a few weeks ago, may have changed since but thats unlikely.
#962871 by Lukecouchman
28 Nov 2023, 22:37
CommanderB wrote:
evanspa1 wrote:As VS taxes / fees have gone through the roof I’m not sure what the latest cash cost (taxes / junk fees) to upgrade from PE to UC is LAX-LHR when using points? Does anybody have a recent data point? Thanks

£330. It's now a fixed price, rather than a difference in YQ (Something I am fighting very hard with because its extremely penalising for those who've already paid a ton of YQ).

That sounds about right. Live chat told me over the weekend that it would be £330 per person for premium to upper ATL - MAN
#962873 by evanspa1
28 Nov 2023, 23:17
CommanderB wrote:

OK thanks for the update. That’s just crazy additional YQ! How can they justify? I think I’ll just stay in PE :cool:
#962903 by catsilversword
05 Dec 2023, 10:12
Interesting to read about it being a fixed amount, and has made me wonder about taxes when booking UC. I placed a hold on UC reward seats to TPA, these were during the ‘sale’ last week. Couldn’t get return flights at the time, but last weekend some return reward flights were released, albeit for a higher number of miles. Called flying club to add to the booking, was a little taken aback that they wouldn’t honour the reduced number miles needed for outbound (ok, I swallowed that, since they were on hold and not actually paid for, despite having a booking ref). But why the difference in taxes? Had I been able to get both out and back flights at reduced miles, tax would have been 1500, but in the end taxes were just shy of 2k. Does booking on reduced airmiles result in lower taxes and if so, how do they square that? Distance travelled is no different - anyone have the answer to this?
#962904 by mikethe3rd
05 Dec 2023, 10:22
catsilversword wrote:Interesting to read about it being a fixed amount, and has made me wonder about taxes when booking UC. I placed a hold on UC reward seats to TPA, these were during the ‘sale’ last week. Couldn’t get return flights at the time, but last weekend some return reward flights were released, albeit for a higher number of miles. Called flying club to add to the booking, was a little taken aback that they wouldn’t honour the reduced number miles needed for outbound (ok, I swallowed that, since they were on hold and not actually paid for, despite having a booking ref). But why the difference in taxes? Had I been able to get both out and back flights at reduced miles, tax would have been 1500, but in the end taxes were just shy of 2k. Does booking on reduced airmiles result in lower taxes and if so, how do they square that? Distance travelled is no different - anyone have the answer to this?

An UC reward return to the US is always going to be about £1000pp. The fees are not reduced during any promotional reduction in mileage.

What exactly happened? Did you go from a one way booking to a return booking and is this for two adult passengers?
Virgin Atlantic