Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#963095 by mitchja
06 Jan 2024, 19:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
For this year's annual New Year trip to Fort Lauderdale, I'd booked a CC upgrade / reward Upper Class return fare. I couldn't get a return back to MAN so opted coming back to LHR. 55,000 miles for the return flight.

I booked a separate revenue DL ATL>FLL return flight which started as Comfort+ but I ended up changes both flights to First Class. It worked out a *lot* cheaper to do a full flight change to upgrade the cabin rather than take the upgrade price DL were offering me online.

It's so easy to change a DL flight booking online (or via the app). You can change the date, destination and / or the cabin. Any previously paid fare is 100% converted to an e-credit and then you just pick the new flight(s) and then pay any fare difference for the new fare. If the new fare is lower, you even get the difference back as an e-credit. I changed each flight leg separately upgrading the cabin and I also had to make another change due to the VS MAN>ATL schedule change. I think I ended up changing this flight 4 times in total; all done online without having to contact DL.

I really do wish VS offered this sort or self-service. it would take the strain off their call centres.

To make life a little easier, I opted to stay at the Holiday Inn again the night before. No issues or charges being dropped off here directly at the Holiday Inn. Second time staying here and it was a good as last time I booked a 1 bedroom suite which was great and even has an outdoor terrace area.

The following morning I had a nice leisurely breakfast at the hotel before heading to VS check-in. VS do offer twilight check-in at MAN but I didn't bother with this. VS Upper Class check-in was a breeze with only 1 pax in front of me. Fast track security was deserted and by the time I got to lane 3 there was only 2 pax in front of me. No signs of the new 3D scanners yet certainly not in lanes 1 -5 that I could see from the fast-track end (there are 10 lanes in total in T2).

I was soon heading up to departures via the never-ending duty free walk and then up another level to the 1903 lounge. Only 1 couple in front of me at the lounge desk. Plenty of seats in the 1903 lounge so I sat by the window. The lounge did start to fill up later but I've seen it much busier than it was this morning. Several spare seats dotted around the lounge. The WiFi and the mobile coverage was as bad as ever up in the lounge. WiFi just about worked.

No bus or remote stand this time thankfully with VS still using the old 20x stands. The walk through the old section of T2 is boxed off now so work is clearly ongoing with signs mentioning 2025 as the finish date.

Priority boarding worked well. Upper Class is always group 1 which comes after pre-boarding passengers requiring extra time. Pre-boarding was also policed very well too as I actually witnessed ground staff turning families away during the pre-boarding process; as some do seem to try their luck pre-boarding. The ground staff today were having none of it.

G-VGEM Diamond Girl A330-300 was taking me to ATL today. We had 221 pax, 10 crew + 2 flight desk crew on today's flight.

I was warmly welcomed during boarding and directed to my seat 8K. The seat and the whole cabin was in good condition and everything worked as expected. Both the FSM and the CSS came and introduced themselves to me; thanking me for being Flying Club Gold. I was looked after the entire flight by all the crew working in J :cool: The usual pre-departure drinks were offered. Menus and amenity kits already on the seat. I'd preordered the soup again. Only difference this time was it was served in a mug rather than a bowl :)

Upper Class had just 6 empty seats which were all used by the crew as crew rest during the flight. Not sure what the crew do if J is full when they work on the A333's which don't have a dedicated crew rest area? No idea if the other VS A/C have crew rest these days? I know the VS A346's and the B7474's used to.

Since last flying in Oct (again on a A333) I noticed the VERA IFE has had a bit of a software / GUI update. The screens now also display the seat number as well as I dont remember seeing that before on the A333's? The scrolling has gone and the interface is now flatter and simpler. It now seems to more match the interface on the A350 and A339 newer IFE's. Not sure if the B789 system has received the same update?

IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG (459.29 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG (352.99 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

WiFi is still chargeable on the A333 with no Boingo log-on option available; though in this day and age onboard WiFi should be free in Upper and / or free for AU's if not all Flying Club members. £20.99 for the full flight though it did work well the entire flight.

After dinner, the J cabin was put into the now usual 'go to sleep' mode which kind of annoys me somewhat as not everyone wants or needs to sleep on day flights.

I watched a couple of films and the flight passed reasonable quickly. The afternoon meal service started been served around 2 hours before landing.

We landed at ATL approx 45 mins ahead of schedule. Global Entry worked well as usual , though once again I had to give finger prints. The last time I had to do this in November; I put that down to having a new passport as before that I'd not had to give finger prints for years with having Global Entry? It was still down quickly and efficiently and I was first at the baggage carousel.

Priority baggage didn't seem to work very well again. Once I collected my bag I headed to the DL check-in desks opposite the luggage transfer drop-off belt. The agent took ages to find my booking, kept saying 'I cant find you on my system'. despite me showing them the boarding pass QR code booking on the DL app, my booking email confirmation and my passport?!? Eventually they found it and printed a bag tag. Luggage then get dropped off at the same transfer bag drop belt. Through transfer security in no time as I was able to use TSA-pre lane today (unlike in November). Down to the plane train and made my way to the busy SkyClub lounge in the A concourse. There are 2 SkyClub lounges in A concourse so really must try the other one next time. I used the same one in November as well.

The VS flight was another fantastic flight with hard working great crew and a good FSM. The return VS104 flight also didn't disappoint either :cool:

We just that that Clubhouse now at MAN!
#963101 by mitchja
07 Jan 2024, 22:32
Having just been browsing FT, it seems the Crowne Plaza has just re-opening to the public again at MAN this week. It's mid-way through a refurbishment (2 floors complete with the lounge closed at the minute) so there's now 2 IHG hotels on site at MAN. All terminals are *just* about within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza. The Crowne Plaza does offer a transfer bus to all terminals but that's now chargeable apparently.

For T2 though the Holiday Inn is by far the most convenient. There's also an IBIS Budget hotel next to the Holiday Inn.
#963121 by David
09 Jan 2024, 18:17
James

Thanks for the TR. I really enjoy reading others escapades, especially the longer ones, and miss the many the used to appear on V-Flyer.

You seem to have the Manchester departures fully sussed which is really helpful as our next flights look like they might be ex MAN. A clubhouse will be the finishing touch when it eventually happens (hopefully not too far away)

I totally agree with wifi, it should be free or even subsidised in Upper. What’s free wifi considering the now not so inconsiderable price of upper fares this year.

Hopefully Manchester’s loads are good and further expansion isn’t too far away.

Thanks again

David
#963125 by Murraymint
10 Jan 2024, 09:17
Thanks for the interesting TR James. Looking forward to our next MCO trip in April from MAN for the first time in a few years (we’ve been using LHR) but especially as we’ve been changed to the A350 so will get our first chance to experience it. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed for the clubhouse being open but think that it may not be ready yet.
Virgin Atlantic