For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#802453 by Tinuks
11 Feb 2012, 14:03
Hi all. So I'm supposed to be on the VS652 and it's been nothing short of a disaster. Got to the airport, checked in and boarded, and that's where it all started to go wrong. The temperature in the plane was something close to boiling and they apologised and said it would be ok once the aircraft doors were shut and the plane was powered up. And then suddenly, the power went out and we were told to disembark while the problem was being resolved.

So we got off the plane and were kept waiting with no information for over an hour. Then someone comes to explain that the food on board has gone bad and they're trying to make a decision as to whether to fly without catering or cancel the flight.

That just seems highly unlikely to me. And of course it's totally unacceptable
#802457 by slinky09
11 Feb 2012, 14:36
Sounds like the APU that powers the air conditioning wasn't operational, so it got hot, the consequent heat and delay affected the safety of the food ... I'd hardly call it a lie. Damn frustrating maybe, but I don't see any outright porkies in what you've related so far ...
#802458 by Tinuks
11 Feb 2012, 14:53
It all sound very plausible but the thing is that the initial delay wasn't that long and it's now taking even longer for them to decide whether or not we're flying. But I guess I'm just being a little irrational because I'm upset about missing my connecting flight to New York
#802461 by RLF
11 Feb 2012, 15:34
Guess that is why the 603 has been delayed overnight until VGAS gets in to work it, from the 201 due early Sunday AM. The fleet is tightly used at the moment, although all 3 346's currently undergoing overhaul seem to be drifting back this week.
#802465 by SHG
11 Feb 2012, 16:27
slinky09 wrote:Sounds like the APU that powers the air conditioning wasn't operational, so it got hot, the consequent heat and delay affected the safety of the food ... I'd hardly call it a lie. Damn frustrating maybe, but I don't see any outright porkies in what you've related so far ...

From this, the APU also gives you electricity until the engines are turning. Perhaps a failure of the APU caused your power outage. This would also mean you would lose your cooling air to the carts and power to chillers.
I wouldn't say you've been lied to though...
#802467 by ratechaser
11 Feb 2012, 17:01
I wonder if you had the same plane as me last sunday (the VS9) - same power problem, but it was after we landed at JFK - engines went off and then so did all the lights. Caused a bit of panic among the more nervous passengers, didn't help that the auxiliary power unit that was brought by the ground crew also failed to work.

Anyway, point being that if it was the same aircraft, it would be rather poor if a fairly fundamental issue like that had not got sorted out.

Or it could just be coincidence...
#802468 by Petmadness
11 Feb 2012, 17:17
Terribly frustrating for you n( Sorry to hear that your flight is cancelled - hope things get better for you soon.
#802470 by tontybear
11 Feb 2012, 17:23
VS 9 - Sunday 5/2/12 was G-VOGE (Cover Girl)

and yes she is doing the Lagos run that Tinuks is supposed to be on.

We could have a debate on how important 'at stand' power is or not to the safe operation of the aircraft in the air (my view not that important at all)

The APU issue may not even be the cause of the problem with the food either

BTW VS Flight status is showing the 652

Due to unforeseen circumstances we regret this flights departure has been delayed overnight. This flight will now depart as VS1652 on Sunday 12th February

The distinction between a 'delay' and a 'cancellation' is very important to airlines !
#802472 by slinky09
11 Feb 2012, 17:41
tontybear wrote:The APU issue may not even be the cause of the problem with the food either

Yes Mr C, but we all know how much of a problem VS has with APUs, countless TRs mentioning hot aircraft due to APU outages, and I've been on a few of them myself.

I wonder, is this an A346 flaw, or VS not looking after them.

Either way, APU is not MEL and does not affect safe flight, but it does inconvenience passengers.
#802473 by tontybear
11 Feb 2012, 18:07
slinky09 wrote:
Either way, APU is not MEL and does not affect safe flight, but it does inconvenience passengers.

I was on a flight where this did happen. The crew kept making announcements and used it to chivvy up dawling passengers - 'the sooner you all get settled the sooner etc' (and with an inflection that said 'the next person who complains will get thrown off')

Strangly once the AC did kick in the same pax were complainign about how cold it was !
#802475 by Tinuks
11 Feb 2012, 18:45
ratechaser wrote:I wonder if you had the same plane as me last sunday (the VS9) - same power problem, but it was after we landed at JFK - engines went off and then so did all the lights. Caused a bit of panic among the more nervous passengers, didn't help that the auxiliary power unit that was brought by the ground crew also failed to work.

Anyway, point being that if it was the same aircraft, it would be rather poor if a fairly fundamental issue like that had not got sorted out.

Or it could just be coincidence...

This aircraft is the Cover Girl.
#802476 by Tinuks
11 Feb 2012, 18:55
tontybear wrote:VS 9 - Sunday 5/2/12 was G-VOGE (Cover Girl)

and yes she is doing the Lagos run that Tinuks is supposed to be on.

We could have a debate on how important 'at stand' power is or not to the safe operation of the aircraft in the air (my view not that important at all)

The APU issue may not even be the cause of the problem with the food either

BTW VS Flight status is showing the 652

Due to unforeseen circumstances we regret this flights departure has been delayed overnight. This flight will now depart as VS1652 on Sunday 12th February

The distinction between a 'delay' and a 'cancellation' is very important to airlines !

That distinction is extremely important but whatever description they choose, the fact still remains that I did not fly out from Lagoson the VS652 on 11th Feb like I was supposed to and would instead be (hopefully) flying out on the VS1652 on 12th Feb.
Virgin Atlantic