For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#948174 by sungod
14 Jan 2019, 17:36
flying BA longhaul for the first time in many many years, in CW with fare class I, and was wondering if I could use some Avios to get one/both legs in F

If I were on VS I know if there were any UC seats free at check-in they'd typically let me do a points (plus taxes) upgrade when arriving to check-in, but I've never tried this on BA

Load check is showing plenty of empty seats in F, but no reward seats availability for my (fixed) travel dates, nor do any seem to pop-up at last moment on flight day

I'm keeping an eye out for rewards availability pre-flight, but if nothing comes up, would I be able to do an upgrade with Avios at check-in? or is this something BA can't/won't do?

I'm only bronze in exec club, not expecting anything special from that
#948176 by gumshoe
14 Jan 2019, 18:13
Unfortunately BA don’t offer Avios upgrades at the airport.

You can do it on the phone on the day, but - as at any time - only if there’s reward availability showing in F.
#948187 by mdhayes
15 Jan 2019, 10:38
use BAredemptionfinder and put out an alert for reward seats in F for your dates, they'll check daily for free or hourly for £3 a month and let you know if an F availability opens up. Recently did this for our vegas flight and despite everyone saying reward availability in F for vegas was very rare, we managed to upgrade both legs to F for the dates we wanted.