For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#951591 by gilly
02 Aug 2019, 10:58
I need some advice please.

Need to book a one way business to SIN for next March. SQ prices aren’t TOO hideous, but it’s hard to ignore the big savings if we chose TG via BKK - £1,000 for the two of us. It’s on an A380 with a reasonable transit, so are they good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks for any comments.
#951595 by DragonLady
02 Aug 2019, 19:14
IMHO good.
£1000 for two ? An absolute steal in my book ( amazing if it’s ex UK).
DL
#951612 by gilly
03 Aug 2019, 17:32
DragonLady wrote:IMHO good.
£1000 for two ? An absolute steal in my book ( amazing if it’s ex UK).
DL

That is the savings, not the fare. The fare is around £1600 pp
#951634 by PeterStansfield
05 Aug 2019, 19:52
We came back from Bangkok on Royal Thai (1st) on their A380 and it was amazing....
The whole experience from when you drive up outside the airport onwards could teach most airlines things
For example a team of assistants to carry our hand luggage through security etc!

I imagine the business is pretty good to....

Peter
#951654 by JCBR
07 Aug 2019, 04:43
The food in J is just 'ok' - nothing memorable (they seem slightly obsessed with Norweigian salmon) , the seats are reasonable for J (although a bit claustrophobic) and the service - I can't decide if it is old school charming or dated. However it does offer great value - I doubt you will find a better deal.
However, you might also consider VS via HKG.
#951659 by gilly
07 Aug 2019, 09:50
JCBR wrote:The food in J is just 'ok' - nothing memorable (they seem slightly obsessed with Norweigian salmon) , the seats are reasonable for J (although a bit claustrophobic) and the service - I can't decide if it is old school charming or dated. However it does offer great value - I doubt you will find a better deal.
However, you might also consider VS via HKG.

I know VS via HKG keeps popping into my mind. We have enough miles and there are flights available......but.......we aren’t fans of Hong Kong itself so would only want to overnight at an airport hotel before flying to SIN and as we’re joining a cruise there I would worry myself stupid about our bags not arriving with us on our VS flight.

I am sure their responsibility would only be to get any mislaid bags to us at HKG - but we would be in SIN before the next flight arrived.

We already have the return flights (reward) from HKG to UK by the way.
#951660 by gilly
07 Aug 2019, 09:51
PeterStansfield wrote:We came back from Bangkok on Royal Thai (1st) on their A380 and it was amazing....
The whole experience from when you drive up outside the airport onwards could teach most airlines things
For example a team of assistants to carry our hand luggage through security etc!

I imagine the business is pretty good to....

Peter

Thank you, we’ll definitely keep that in mind.
#953629 by starquake
09 Jan 2020, 17:37
I know it's late reply - but I'll add we flew via DOH to Bangkok on Qatar in J this year for Christmas return, yes non-direct, but the service/flight was impeccable - I'd definitely fly this route OVER the BA direct route, but would probably fly J/F on Thai if acceptable fare wise as well. It's another entire experience thing - the service from Qatar staff is in another world compared to many airlines - nothing too much trouble, and meals at your own pace/timings in J and in any order... BA/VS have a LOT to do to catch up with this airline right now based on our experience. Qatar also have a lounge with pre-flight dining in Bangkok so you can get (assuming you get the right flights) a good nights sleep to assist with getting back to UK time at the right time. The Thai national railways experience from Bankok to Chiang Mai in 2nd class (as we couldn't book first) was certainly an interesting follow on - a lot less glamorous, but a good night sleep regardless.
Virgin Atlantic