For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#953639 by catsilversword
10 Jan 2020, 10:43
Hi,

Time for another ESTA - seems to take ever longer! I’m a bit stuck though, there’s a section that asks for your contact details while in the US. I don’t yet know what these are, since we’re renting a house and exact location details aren’t generally sent until shortly before departure date. The ESTA site seems to suggest you can simply enter ‘unknown’, but when I do that, I get a message saying I have to give details.

Anyone else encountered this and found a way to make it work? I have emailed the manager of the house and requested address details, but I’m sure I can’t be the only one stumped by this?

Many thanks!
#953641 by locutus
10 Jan 2020, 11:35
I did mine this morning. If unknown is not working, why not just add a hotel that you think you might be at, but plans change. You can always update it later.
#953642 by mitchja
10 Jan 2020, 12:02
A nearby airport would be my first choice as well. The address can be updated at any time even after you make the initial application.

I applied for a new ESTA in early December, the decision came back as approved after about 2 hours. You don't seem to get an instant decision these days for an ESTA, but I think that is just to wait for the payment to clear rather than anything else.

You need to log back in to check your approval status.
#953643 by tontybear
10 Jan 2020, 12:42
just checked my application and I typed in 'unknown' in the following fields

Name
Address Line 1
City
State

For the phone number I just put a single '0' in the number box with Country Code +1 (USA

Was the same for the 'address in the US' section. (no phone number needed there though)

I can't remember if you have to enter it in capitals though. I'm looking at my application from last June and it's all in capitals.
#953644 by Fuzzy14
10 Jan 2020, 14:06
catsilversword wrote: The ESTA site seems to suggest you can simply enter ‘unknown’,

Can I just check that you're using the official ESTA site that ends with dhs gov and not a 3rd party site who charge extra for it? Should only cost $14 for an ESTA.

If unknown I generally put in the address of a hotel in the area, I've never gone back to change it.
#953650 by catsilversword
10 Jan 2020, 21:25
tontybear wrote:just checked my application and I typed in 'unknown' in the following fields

Name
Address Line 1
City
State

For the phone number I just put a single '0' in the number box with Country Code +1 (USA

Was the same for the 'address in the US' section. (no phone number needed there though)

I can't remember if you have to enter it in capitals though. I'm looking at my application from last June and it's all in capitals.

Yes, that’s the bit - I entered ‘unknown’ too, as it mentions that as being acceptable. Though I didn’t enter a single 0 in the phone number box (I did a few, as it seems to suggest that). But will have another go, I’ve saved the application so can retrieve it.

Many thanks Tonty!
#953651 by catsilversword
10 Jan 2020, 21:28
Fuzzy14 wrote:
catsilversword wrote: The ESTA site seems to suggest you can simply enter ‘unknown’,

Can I just check that you're using the official ESTA site that ends with dhs gov and not a 3rd party site who charge extra for it? Should only cost $14 for an ESTA.

If unknown I generally put in the address of a hotel in the area, I've never gone back to change it.

Yep, it’s the official ESTA site! But the thought of a local hotel is useful, that would also have a phone number too.

Talk about feeling like an alien... oh wait though, I am!
#953652 by catsilversword
10 Jan 2020, 21:31
mitchja wrote:A nearby airport would be my first choice as well. The address can be updated at any time even after you make the initial application.

I applied for a new ESTA in early December, the decision came back as approved after about 2 hours. You don't seem to get an instant decision these days for an ESTA, but I think that is just to wait for the payment to clear rather than anything else.

You need to log back in to check your approval status.

Thanks for that suggestion. I’m not expecting the application to come back right away, I think those days are long gone - and indeed, there’s an alert on the site to remind you to apply at least 72 hours before, and not leave until the last minute. I kind of smiled at that...
#953668 by mallin
11 Jan 2020, 14:12
Hi Clare,

Hope everything goes ok with the application, I am sure it will. Did mine recently and logged off then in again and it had been approved. When we are traveling around I just put in the 1st nights address. I know you are not. Regards Linda
#953696 by catsilversword
13 Jan 2020, 14:12
mallin wrote:Hi Clare,

Hope everything goes ok with the application, I am sure it will. Did mine recently and logged off then in again and it had been approved. When we are traveling around I just put in the 1st nights address. I know you are not. Regards Linda

Exactly what I do, when we do a stopover the first night there. I’ve now managed to get the address of our rental house - and completed the ESTA this morning. Just gone back to the site and approval is there. Tick that off the list!
Virgin Atlantic