For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#956685 by Hev60
26 Jul 2020, 22:43
Hi again, been a while since I posted anything on the forum but I’ve kept up to date reading posts.

So after getting temporarily stranded in Florida back in March :-O I’m very reluctant to have any thoughts of returning to the US (hardly likely in the near future anyway).

This brings me to my query. Over the weekend I’ve read countless comments from sports stars talking about attending various golf and tennis tournaments soon. For instance, Andy & Jamie Murray, along with countless other tennis pro’s have said they plan to play in New York mid-August. How is that possible. Surely a travel ban for all but US nationals, is exactly that ?
#956686 by gumshoe
27 Jul 2020, 04:15
It’s a very common misconception that the US is closed to all but US nationals. It certainly isn’t.

What counts is where you’re arriving from, not your nationality. Any British citizen can go to the US as long as they haven’t been in the UK, EU or another country on Trump’s naughty list in the 14 days prior to arrival. So spend two weeks in, say, the Caribbean first and you’re fine (obviously not viable for the average British holidaymaker, but perfectly feasible for some).

And there are plenty of exemptions for holders of certain visas which may well include professional athletes competing in tournaments.
#956687 by FLYERZ
27 Jul 2020, 19:59
Yeah sports are exempt from restrictions - similar to how professional football was allowed when there were social distancing restrictions for general exercise. For Tennis specifically both the men's and women's tours are restarting in August wiith a number of tournaments in the US, then coming to Europe in September. I too found it interesting to have one rule for one... but equally I understand they will be tested accordingly in theory mitigating any risk.

In terms of the US restrictions for those having visited the UK, EU .etc I was speaking to a VS pilot and he said there were rumours this would be releaxed in the next 7-14 days. I personally don't think this is likely given recent numbers and the mountain to climb before a notable decline in cases comes through in the US but who doesn't love a rumour.
#956688 by JCBR
27 Jul 2020, 21:46
bearing in mind Spain is now on the naughty list the chance of USA coming off it seems very remote. However, there were reports at the weekend that by the end of September there may be a quarantine free corridor with NY.
#956689 by Hev60
28 Jul 2020, 20:36
Very interesting replies to my query. Thanks. Hope the US sort themselves soon, then I can plan my next trip to watch the tennis in Palm Springs next March :cool:
Virgin Atlantic