Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237204 by ade99
04 Aug 2005, 13:21
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Took a slow walk to T3 from the Hilton and arrived at check-in around 8:30. We had already checked in on-line the day before as I was a bit worried we would loose some of our seats in the A-Zone together. OLCI took a while inputting all 7 passports but worked finally. Apart from securing your seat, which it doesn't anyway really, and meaning your passport doesn't have to be swiped if you're travelling in UC or PE then I really can't see the advantage.

Check-in bloke was completely miserable and grumpy, although he did clarify it because he'd had a heavy night before!!! Got our boarding cards, and went through fast-track which seemed to work a lot smoother than before (I don't know if they've improved the speed of screening but it did seem a lot quicker)

Spent a few quid in duty free and made our way to the lounge. It was still the old lounge but was accessed via stairs and a very strange lift. The lift had seats in it that made it look like a lift from a James Bond movie! I think they must have had some leather left over from the stairs or the UCS and thought they bung it in there because it looks really strange.

The girls on the desk were lovely and gave us a real 'sorry smile' as we brought the in-laws through. Sat them all down by the library and ordered some food. Very attentive staff bought us some bacon butties and we all sat at the table in the library.

Flight was called about 45 mins before departure and we took a steady walk to the plane. Battled our way through the masses (that priority lane should be electrified - there is no human way of getting to it) and boarded the plane. IFBT came around and asked us all if we wanted a treatment. Pre-flight champers and a look at the menu, surprise surprise the one that everyone loves to hate.

After take off couple of drinks, then ordered the food. Now at this point I have to explain that we haven't taken a west-bound flight on VS metal during this menu rotation (the last one was CO to Newark) so for some reason I decided to order the bangers'n'mash. Instantly regreted it but thought if ya gonna moan about you really need to know how bad it is.... Had the salad with lobester/crab, nice. Then up came the bangers and mash. Shock!!! They really weren't that bad. I know people will hate me for this, but they were quite tasty, gravy nice and mash tasted of potato and not smash. Sausages could have done with being a bit fatter but all in all 7/10 for the bangers (and have had a lot worse in upper in the past).

Has some cheese and skipped dessert. A moment of reflection, does anyone else think a) the menu is now smaller (could have fitted on one page) b) freedom menu detail is getting smaller (I don't care just wish they didn't hype it up and then when you get on you feel you really don't have an option) c) desserts really need looking at (the whole menu seems to trickle from a grand start to just a couple of average sounding desserts) ?

Had a look at V-Port, films - nothing really there to keep me entertained (partly nothing to do with VS as there hasn't been that many good films recently, but what about a few old classics? why not have a bond flick or something like the great escape? likewise for the tv shows) So decided to have a snooze, slept for about three hours. Woke up joined the others at the bar. Had a interesting conversation with the crew, they all seem really pi**ed off with management and seem quite demoralised.

Anyway back to the suite for afternoon tea, and again say what you will about the menu at least they haven't contaminated the scones with something awful like the ginger scones rotation the other month! Had some sanwiches, nice and fresh, tea, clotted cream and jam. Saw nothing of the 'cake stand' neither did anyone else in the a-zone (I was checking)

Anyway shortly after that has a massage and then we were about done ready for landing in LAX. Landed in LAX and taxied for a bit, pulled up at a gate and thought great we've beaten the other flights in as couldn't see any and so imigration would be a breeze. Wrong! turns out we were on a remote stand complete with it's own airbridge and covered stairs all the way down to the bus. After a hilarious few minutes with the ground staff trying to dock the bridge at door one, then being told by someone else to move it we got off. Ferried half way around the airport to T2 where we got off the bus went up an escaltor and smack bang into a 'some mothers do 'av 'em' scene where at the top of the escalator we met a que, no a bulge of people waiting for the ANZ flight out. It was like a dominoe effect with everyone getting squashed as they reached the top of the escalator.

Made our way to immigration, oh dear! There was some VS ground woman directing us to each que which was bloody miles long. Now on return to the UK everyone who needs it gets a fastrack line in upper, does anyone else think it is need in the US more? By the time we got through had to wait another 15 mins for our bags. All in all took about 2 hours from plane to exiting customs so be aware if you're booking connecting flights through LAX.

Overall great flight, good crew, good service and I'm affraid to say it good food especially the bangers and mash[}:)]
#307093 by shazam
04 Aug 2005, 14:08
Thanks for the great TR ade99. Glad you enjoyed the trip, though it would seem you did encounter a few VS staff who weren't on top form?

It concerns me that it took you so long to get through immigration since we have a 2 hour connection to make at LAX in September. We have done this trip many times and have never encountered a queue when we arrived and have usually made it through in about 45 mins to an hour, bags 'n' all.

Was the reason just because you were on a remote stand?

Shaz
#307099 by ade99
04 Aug 2005, 15:07
I think it was a combination of taking ages for us to get to the terminal and being unluckily behind a full 747 from New Zealand. The bags certainly took longer than normal because of the planes remote stand.
#307119 by lilyjosh0
04 Aug 2005, 16:59
Interesting TR. I agree with you about the Freedom Menu - on our last trip there was no Freedom Menu options at all!!
#307158 by BransonDisciple
04 Aug 2005, 21:25
Originally posted by ade99

Then up came the bangers and mash. Shock!!! They really weren't that bad. I know people will hate me for this, but they were quite tasty, gravy nice and mash tasted of potato and not smash. Sausages could have done with being a bit fatter but all in all 7/10 for the bangers (and have had a lot worse in upper in the past).

Another soldier in the bangers and mash army! Sausage lovers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains! [:D]

Thanks for the TR...I saw V-WOW at the T2 stand yesterday as i was traveling thru LAX on a domestic flight; sorry you had such a bad time in immigration. I think that LHR has their immigration wayyyyy more sorted than any US airport does (my humble opinion).

BD

BD
#307171 by Richard28
04 Aug 2005, 22:00
thanks for the TR - I admire your honesty in trying the bangers & mash - I have never mustered the courage!
#307180 by buns
04 Aug 2005, 22:23
ade99

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

I too enjoy the bangers and mash (had three the last time[;)]) and totally agree about having a movie channel with some old classics on.

buns
#307294 by roadrunner
05 Aug 2005, 18:00
Shazam,

ade99, thanks, it was great fun to enjoy your flight so recently after mine. Wonder if we had the same check-in agent at LHR, as although he has on other check-in experiences been efficient and amiable, ours was seriously ready for a tea break. Glad to hear that the sandwiches were fresh and that you enjoyed the bangers n mash. It's not that I DON'T enjoy them (at the pub), it's just the something special thing...hopefully lighter and, well, a bit gourmet? Something I won't be cooking at home next week? Curious what wine you had to accompany sausage? No cake stand on our 07 flight either....

Shazam: Although we were more fortunate than ade99 as had no remote stand issues, the shared hall arrival of the full 744 from New Zealand was also what slowed our transition at LAX two weeks ago. I suspect this is a summer travel issue/high season issue though and that two hours is more than enough to make the connection, but probably worth having the UK VS side tag priority bags if possible. If you had to wait as long as we did for your bags to unload, you might well be boxed in. Always worth a call to your connecting flight to let them know you're standing at the carousel, waiting...

cheers,

RR
#307307 by chris78cpr
05 Aug 2005, 21:02
Great TR, it was interesting to read about your expieriance up front.

I might just try those bangers next time i fly, they dont sound too bad!

Chris
#307309 by shazam
05 Aug 2005, 21:07
Cheers Roadrunner, I'll make sure we take the America West phone number with us.

Shaz
#307332 by Richard28
05 Aug 2005, 22:37
Originally posted by roadrunner
Curious what wine you had to accompany sausage?

VS should introduce Liebfraumilch or Blue Nunn to accompany it [;)]!
#307366 by roadrunner
06 Aug 2005, 02:02
Curious what wine you had to accompany sausage?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

VS should introduce Liebfraumilch or Blue Nunn to accompany it !

Or a nice glass of milk? [:)]

RR
#307451 by JAT74L
06 Aug 2005, 21:06
Three cheers for the good old British sausage. Hip hip... [:D]

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic