Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#942306 by mitchja
21 Mar 2018, 15:56
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After an excellent few days in Boston, it was time to head up to JFK via Delta, who incidentally but me on an earlier flight which was very good of them :-). My bag was tagged all the way to LHR and DL printed both boarding passes. The only minor issue I had was that the second boarding pass for my VS flight didn't have my TSA-Pre status printed on it for some reason (more on this later).

My original DL flight was due to land at T2 at JFK, this earlier DL flight, however, landed in T4. As I had ~8 hours now until my next VS flight I headed to the exit to top my my nicotine levels.

I went to the VS J hand luggage only check-in desk to ask about getting another boarding pass. The very surly and unhelpful VS agent there didn't understand why I wanted another boarding pass and so sent me to the ticket desk. The agent there was the complete opposite and couldn't have been more helpful. There was another slight issue with my booking now as apparently whilst DL had moved me onto the easier flight, they had not canceled the original DL flight leg. Eventually this got sorted and I has handed a new VS boarding pass showing my TSA-Pre status.

I headed through security around 6pm which was very quick and efficient using the TSA-Pre lane. I was very warmly welcomed at the JFK Clubhouse again. I settled in by the windows where I was immediately welcomed by one of the servers there. and asked if I'd like anything to drink whilst looking over the menu.

I headed to the Spa to book a 15 minute neck and shoulder massage which included a complimentary scalp massage as well. This was booked for 20:30. The ladies working the Spa there are lovely and are all a credit to VS :D We ended up chatting for a few minutes. Payment would be taken at my appointment time and again AU's get a 10% discount. it's card payments only.

I wasn't particularly hungry yet when I arrived so I stuck with a pot of tea. By about 19:00 I was getting a little peckish so I ordered the Clubhouse burger which was great. I requested a shower before my massage as well.

I watched the VS46 depart from the gate outside the window using G-VNAP in her new livery.

IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 6259 times

The Clubhouse was initially pretty busy but did clam down as a couple of VS flights departed.

20:30 came so I headed back to the Spa. My 15 minute massage turned into a 30 minute massage and was amazing. One of the best I've ever had either there or win the LHR Clubhouse. I felt great after it.

This evening's VS10 being op'ed by G-VMAP was on stand by the time I came back to where I was sitting.

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6259 times

The flight was called around 21:45 with a very short walk just across the terminal building from where the Clubhouse is located.

I just got a quick hello as I boarded. This kind of set the standard for the rest of the flight in all honesty.

I was originally booked in 22H but I did ask again in the Clubhouse and the agent was able to move be forward into the bulk head row into 21K.

I know it's not important but I noticed how dirty G-VMAP was on the outside. Don't know where she's been, but she needed a bath!! Her engines and wings where plastered in dirt.

Pre-departure drinks where offered as usual.

Wow - the Premium Economy seat on the B789's is not good at all IMHO. There's no lumber support/controls and there's no head rest 'ears' now either. The bottom cushion very thin and uncomfortable.

We had 222 pax on this evening's flight. I didn't catch how many crew there where.

The door was closed and we pushed back at 22:25 so 5 minutes early. It was a pretty quick taxi as well this evening which is a novelty for JFK!! We where airborne by 22:50.

I had no intention of eating on this evening's flight with it being a late departure time. I have listed the Premium Economy menu though:

Salad (come on VS please do something a little different than salad every single time for a starter!!)

Pulled pork in BBQ sauce
Roast Chicken in pesto cream
Penang vegetable curry

Chocolate chip pecan tart

The FSM was helping serve in Premium but I didn't even get a smile out of her let alone any kind of welcome. No idea who the CSS was on this flight as again there was no greeting from anyone on this evenings flight.

I *tried* to sleep when eventually the cabin lights where dimmed after about 2 hours, but failed miserably in that shocking seat.

Compare this to my previous Premium Economy flight back from JFK to Man last year where I was sleep before we rotated and didn't wake until breakfast was being cleared away! I know every flight is different but the seat comfort does make a big difference IMHO.

Breakfast was severed about 90 minutes before we landed. It was a lukewarm soggy apple croissant and a small bowl of fruit with yogurt (which I don't like).

The cabin was secured and with just 1 merry go round coming into LHR we where on the ground by about 09:00 so half an hour early.

Immigration was pretty quick but yet again those stupid machines would not work for me and yet again there was those shouting 'helpers' running the immigration lines, shouting at everyone to go here, stand there, do this, don't do that. Sorry but this part of any flight into LHR always drives me nuts. How is treating everyone like a 5 year old helpful in any way?

Bags didn't take long to start coming off and after a quick pit-stop outside, it was time to head up to Revivals. Very warmly welcomed here as usual. Straight into a shower followed by a nice tasty breakfast.

All in all, it was just an 'OK' flight. Nothing particularly wrong with it and it did what it said on the tin, but other than the JFK Clubhouse staff who was always delightful, nothing sparkled at all about the flight itself.

The crew and the on-board service was nothing more than just 'meh'.

JFK is becoming one of my favourite Clubhouses now.

By the way - the BOS>JFK DL Comfort+flight has already posted to my Flying Club account, just which VS flights posted that quick!!