Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#942455 by dickydotcom
29 Mar 2018, 12:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Apologies for no pictures. I decided to leave my compact camera at home this holiday and didn't take my larger one out of my carry-on.
Thursday 22nd February we got a taxi to Gatwick Premier Inn arriving about 4 p.m. and went to our room which was very cold and the heating controls didn't respond to my poking. I went to reception and they gave us another room and all was well.
About 4.45 we walked over to the terminal but there were no staff on the twilight desk. We couldn't check in on line either. Mrs. D has for three years in a row been subject to secondary searches, and we suspect it's happened again.
A bit later I went back to check-in by myself with the passports and they logged us in but couldn't complete the check-in without seeing Mrs D
Back to the room and opened a bottle of Bollinger and had a couple of small glasses each before going down to dinner.
The inclusive meal was two courses and a glass of wine. We both had a salmon and avocado starter followed by sea bass. The food was delicious but the wine was a bit rough, so back to the room and finish the Bollinger.
Breakfast in the Premier was good with a wide selection of both cooked and continental food.
By eight o'clock we were on our way over to the terminal again and completed the check-in and bag drop.
We were through the priority security line after a brief delay for Mrs D to be given a thorough pat down.
We were too early to go straight into the No 1 lounge as they only allow three hours before the flight time. So only two and bit hours in reality. We wandered around the shopping area and for once I found something I actually needed; a new case for my zoom lens.
We went to the lounge a little early and were allowed in. Choice of food was very limited, but we had eaten breakfast so weren't too bothered. Tea and coffee to start and a little later had a glass of Prosecco. At least that was free, unlike the Delta lounge on the way back!
With an hour to go we took a slow walk to the gate and as expected Mrs D was subject to another search. Boarding had already commenced and there was no order to it with regards to seating.
On the plane and seated in 19A and C with a glass of Prosecco in our hands we settled down while the rest of boarding took place.
Take off due for 13.00 but due to some water pressure issue it was delayed to 13.30
The on board meal was nothing special. Butternut squash salad to start and chicken tikka for the main course.
About an hour before arrival we had tea, sandwiches and cakes.
We landed at 17.25 and seated right next to the door we were first off the plane.
We we directed to a kiosk at customs and immigration where we filled in all the answers to the questions on customs form we had completed on board and had photo and fingerprints taken.
Then on to a real person who asked some of the questions again and checked our photos again and we were through. This was probably the easiest and quickest entry to USA I have done.
We had to wait a little while for the cases but were soon off to the train and into the main terminal.
A short walk to the Hyatt and we were soon in our room. Mrs D put the kettle on for some tea. We have given up trying to get US hotels to provide English tea so we carry our own tea bags which were declared to the customs officer. I popped out for milk, which again I found easier than trying to get the hotel to provide it.
After a good night's sleep I went down stairs to pick up the keys to the hire car. As usual I'm a sucker for the upgrades but got a good discount plus bumped up two classes instead of one and ended up with a Ford Explorer with all the toys. Seven hours and 335 miles later we reached our destination in South Carolina.
Dick D
#942462 by hiljil
29 Mar 2018, 13:32
Thank you for the TR. Poor Mrs. D having so many extra checks ! But at least you seemed to have made up for it at MCO immigration.

I’m rather worried by your comment that you declared the teabags. I always travel to the US with a supply and have never considered that I needed to declare them :-O !

Well done for getting another good deal at the car hire. Hope you had a great time in South Carolina. :-D
#942465 by moodyblue
29 Mar 2018, 16:26
With Mrs D constantly having to undergo extra security checks, I wondered if her name may be the same as or similar to someone on a watch list. Might be worth investigating.
Enjoy your time in USA, it sounds as though you have earned it!
#942492 by dickydotcom
30 Mar 2018, 17:13
hiljil wrote:Thank you for the TR. Poor Mrs. D having so many extra checks ! But at least you seemed to have made up for it at MCO immigration.

I’m rather worried by your comment that you declared the teabags. I always travel to the US with a supply and have never considered that I needed to declare them :-O !

Well done for getting another good deal at the car hire. Hope you had a great time in South Carolina. :-D

I have seen a few TV programs where people get into trouble for not declaring food and drink so we erred on the safe side. He just said 'no problem'
Dick D
#942493 by dickydotcom
30 Mar 2018, 17:15
moodyblue wrote:With Mrs D constantly having to undergo extra security checks, I wondered if her name may be the same as or similar to someone on a watch list. Might be worth investigating.
Enjoy your time in USA, it sounds as though you have earned it!

Our thoughts as well, but I have no idea who or where to enquire.
Dick D
#942496 by buns
30 Mar 2018, 18:10
Thanks for the TR

I know Mitcha had a similar problem as his details were similar to another on the no fly list. He did pursue the matter and underwent a process, before more recently going for Global Entry.

Maybe the latter is something worth considering as you are frequent visitors to the US

buns
#942499 by hiljil
30 Mar 2018, 21:19
dickydotcom wrote:
hiljil wrote:Thank you for the TR.

I have seen a few TV programs where people get into trouble for not declaring food and drink so we erred on the safe side. He just said 'no problem'
Dick D

Thank you . Definitely better to be safe !
#942501 by moodyblue
31 Mar 2018, 09:13
I'm not really certain of the best place to check, but maybe the American embassy may me a starting point? Possibly also Virgin as I believe they respond to directions given to them about who to select.Best of luck with your investigations.
#942508 by tomthumb
31 Mar 2018, 16:09
Great trip report and we always carry tea bags as well...
#942512 by dickydotcom
31 Mar 2018, 18:05
buns wrote:Thanks for the TR

I know Mitcha had a similar problem as his details were similar to another on the no fly list. He did pursue the matter and underwent a process, before more recently going for Global Entry.

Maybe the latter is something worth considering as you are frequent visitors to the US

buns

We only go once a year so I don't think its worth the hassle of applying. I might try an enquiry to the Embassy though. But thanks for the thought.
Dick D
Virgin Atlantic