Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#942491 by David1946
30 Mar 2018, 17:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Our holday in Naples was at an end and it was time to return the car to the airport and fly from Fort Myers to Atlanta. The Delta flight was on time and without problems so we arrived in a very quiet and mostly empty Skylounge with a 4 hour layover. This was preferable to last year when we took the later flight from Fort Myers and missed our connection to Manchester by an hour because of it’s late running.

Whilst sitting waiting we watched the withdrawn Lady Luck pass and then our ride Daydream Believer.

This was to be our first flight on the A332 and in Upper Class so we would be able to compare the difference with the normal VS product.

About 40 mins before departure we wandered down to the gate only to hear an announcement that there was a delay as the aircraft was still being cleaned. Eventually we were invited to board and we managed to be first on. The left turn to Upper seemed narrower than normal and the cabin felt a bit claustrophobic but this might just have been because it was different. I took some photos as best I could without inconveniencing other passengers.

We were originally seated in seats 4C and 4D either side of the aisle but on check in we had been switched to 5E& 5F (the love seats). I am only 5’8” and medium build
but the entrance into the seat seemed very narrow as did the passageway to the front of the aircraft. My wife who is even smaller and thinner felt the same.

SAM_1678 (2).jpg
SAM_1678 (2).jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 12075 times

SAM_1679 (2).jpg
SAM_1679 (2).jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 12075 times

SAM_1681 (2).jpg
SAM_1681 (2).jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 12075 times

The seat itself was comfortable, had a massage facility, plenty of adjustment but was very narrow and felt cramped. The divide between the 2 seats, even at full height, is still very low which was not a problem to us but could be for 2 strangers. The other plus point is that it is very easy to change to the sleeping position as the seat just slides forward rather than having to turnover as in the VS figuration.

The FSM came around and introduced her self to all the passengers and had a chat whilst the remaining crew did likewise. If I could I would award more that 5 stars as they were all excellent throughout the flight. They were all very interested in our opinion on the layout and advised that the aircraft were to be changed as from September with the addition of PE and the new Upper Class suite which would be the same as that being fitted to the A350s.

They didn’t announce the loading but there were 4 empty seats in Upper, used by the crew overnight, and that Economy passenger should stay in their allotted seats until take off but could then move so, I assume, there was plenty of space down back.

Meal service was excellent with Cabin Crew in competition as to who could provide the best service to my wife and I as we were on different sides of the aircraft. This culminated in them walking down the 2 aisles at the same time to serve our main course together, the only problem was the lady serving me had brought the wrong meal!!! This resulted in laughter all around. As I say they were an excellent crew and a credit to VS and I will be emailing Virgin accordingly.

The rest of the flight was fine except that on arrival at MAN we were put on a remote stand because of the rebuilding. This seemed strange as there were about 5 empty stands so surely they could have offloaded the passengers and then moved the aircraft to the remote stand.

All in all it was a good flight despite the shortcomings in the Upper Class suite but maybe we just have to ‘suck it up’ for now in the hope that we will have more destinations in the future from MAN. Although one of the CC did, tongue in cheek say, that if the new suites were better than the current one’s on the A333 we may lose the A332s to LHR.
#942494 by mitchja
30 Mar 2018, 17:59
Thanks for the TR.

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced about the A332's and I'm avoiding them :-(

Can I ask why all the seats appear to have Premium Economy blankets draped over them?
#942497 by David1946
30 Mar 2018, 19:06
Hi James dont know why the blankets were there as the usual bedding was provided. Although I forgot to mention cabin was very warm most of the time and there are no individual air vents at each seat.
#942509 by tomthumb
31 Mar 2018, 16:12
Thank you for the trip report - interesting to see the new layout
#942728 by JPG 1970
06 Apr 2018, 14:20
mitchja wrote:Thanks for the TR.

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced about the A332's and I'm avoiding them :-(

Can I ask why all the seats appear to have Premium Economy blankets draped over them?

I agree with you James, my seats were switched for my U/C flights to St Lucia in August. I only found out when i checked on the V/A website. However VA still advertise the Upper Class suite, which to me is misleading, whats on offer is just not Virgin Atlantic. Some very old A330-200 sprayed in Virgin Atlantic colours. Then marketing spin with the 'Love Suite', Really?? Still wont support BA, so i guess i have to go with it...
Virgin Atlantic