Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#944920 by woralla
05 Jul 2018, 18:09
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Following on from my post about the excellent service in the Gatwick Clubhouse on Monday, here’s the trip report for the flight to Las Vegas.

We queued for about two minutes at check-in which was then very efficient, as was the fast track security channel. So having run the gauntlet of the new-ish duty free shop, it was straight to the Clubhouse. A very friendly welcome back from the front desk, followed by friendly and efficient service.

Boarding was called just after 9.30 when we headed to the gate. There was a small queue on the priority lane; it appeared that a large number of passengers than I’ve noticed on recent flights to the USA were being sent for secondary search screening. Fortunately no secondary search for me, so it was straight onboard.

The crew were really friendly, with champagne in hand within moments of arriving in the nose Upper cabin. The crew were making use of their new tablets to name check each passenger, welcoming me back as AU.

All 14 seats were taken with a total of 400+2 pax onboard. We pushed back a little late due to congestion on the runway approach, but the delay wasn’t that noticeable.

Once in the air, the FSM came around a welcomed each passenger in Upper by name, whilst handing out the menus. Drinks quickly followed together with food orders.

The food selection was good. I had crab fish cakes, salmon fillet, followed by strawberries and cream. This was washed down with a few glasses of Sancerre. Finally a selection of cheeses with a glass of port.

Here is the full menu

80400CEE-1107-4336-9025-59F20493513D.jpeg
80400CEE-1107-4336-9025-59F20493513D.jpeg (157.1 KiB) Viewed 4923 times

During and after lunch I watched a couple of movies, then had a drink at the bar whilst having an interesting chat with one of the crew.

Seat turned into bed for a few hours sleep, then it was time for a snack before landing. I had the gourmet beef burger.

There were some wonderful views over the Nevada desert as we came in to land, including a turn over Las Vegas just ahead of final approach. The taxi to the gate was short and we disembarked from door L1 meaning Upper passengers were first off. Despite the delay in taking off, we arrived at the gate on schedule.

There was a fairly large queue at immigration because a flight from Munich had arrived shortly before us. Fortunately I skipped that using Global Entry. Luggage took about ten more minutes to come through, with my bag being one of the first off of the belt.

Quickly through Customs and on to pickup the limo - this is my last ‘I’ fare with a limo included as it was booked before the car service got dropped from ‘I’ fares. The size of the limo was however ridiculous!

14FDD7BB-1529-4548-981C-199979652275.jpeg
14FDD7BB-1529-4548-981C-199979652275.jpeg (215.54 KiB) Viewed 4923 times

I filmed the flight and you can see the video on YouTube here.

All in all a very good service from start to finish, with no negative points.
Last edited by woralla on 06 Jul 2018, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
#944962 by tomthumb
08 Jul 2018, 16:41
Fantastic video - am due to fly out to Barbados on a 747 so was very interested to see what UC was like
Thanks
#945053 by Citrine
14 Jul 2018, 20:37
We have been fortunate to fly a few times on the 747 in UC and love the intimacy of the small cabin, the service is impeccable and whilst the seats are showing a little sign of wear and tear I will be sad to see the 747 UC be replaced.