Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#946440 by buns
05 Oct 2018, 16:38
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well, I do apologise that it is a long time since I posted a TR :blush: The simple fact is Mrs Buns and I have been somewhat preoccupied with (like many others) doing what we can to clear a family member's house ready for sale.

But enough of that!! This was a very quick trip for myself, booked at relatively short notice, in an effort to re-charge my batteries after an especially stressful month. The good news was that after booking an economy return, I had a stroke of luck when my ExpertFlyer alert for a G Reward for the outbound pinged up in my inbox :-D

The day of travel duly arrived (more quick than most of my bookings ;-) ) and although a sunny morning it was jolly cold!! My Tristar arrived super early and in 20 minutes I was at Gatwick and getting inside the Terminal as quick as i possibly could as I was without a jacket :D

I had checked in the previous day and secured the sacred SEQ1 !! but always use the check in desks to get the proper Boarding Pass to ensure no problem with using the Premium Channel. The Premium Channel was a doddle and making my way through the Duty Free not so yellow brick road, I was quickly in the Gatwick Clubhouse.

Welcomed back, as many regular V Flyer readers will know, I hold this Clubhouse as my ultimate amongst Clubhouses. A full breakfast was ordered, together with the obligatory champagne :-D and I settled down to a nice three and half hour stay :blush: :blush:

The Clubhouse itself was not overly busy and the staff there were extremely helpful. Getting a treatment was never going to be a problem and I opted (under strict orders from Mrs buns) to have the full mens manicure. I did ask the therapist whether many had paid on points but the take up had been rather low she told me.

All too quickly it was time to board Ladybird who was waiting for me (and it turns out 403 other lucky souls) at Gate 566, so after bidding a fond farewell to the Clubhouse Team (with a promise to return in November with Mrs buns in tow!!) I made my way across the busy airport, picking up a large bottle of water along the way, to the Gate and was on board almost immediately.

Again, warmly greeted on board and I sensed this would be a great flight. I was absolutely right, once in the UC Cabin the crew could not do enough for all the passengers and the FSM was fully engaged. A slight delay in departure (but we were assured this would be made up along the way) and a manual safety demonstration - so I did not have a chance to lip sync "dazzling world of entertainment" 8-)

Soon up in the air, the crew set about its duties and I had a Gentlemen Jack and Diet Coke in no time ;-) I did opt to pay for wifi, so that i could share the menu with V Flyers. To recap:

Starters
Sautéed prawns
Tomato and basil soup
Creamy mushrooms

Mains
Fillet steak
Herb roasted chicken breast
Thai vegetable stew
Charred cod and basmati rice

Pudding
Apple tarts tartin
Chocolate and pistachio rice

I opted for the soup, beef and apple tartan - all were top notch.

For entertainment, I watched "Finding Your Feet" and although funny in places was very moving - one of those Brit films that never look up to much but certainly keep you engaged. After a little snooze, I had some afternoon tea and on this occasion it was a huge slice of cake rather than the tiny cakes.

Landed into MCO ahead of schedule and the ever long taxi to the Gate. On arrival I held some hope the Immigration experience would not be too long as there was only one other VS 747. Once off the aircraft (and saying my thanks to the crew) I swiftly made my way into the newly competed Immigration Hall. As I had read elsewhere, machines are no longer available and whilst there is now a vast array of Desks, few were actually manned.

Nevertheless, the queue was quick and indeed I walked out after collecting my case in under half an hour. I got through the Airport eqally as quick and after picking up my Alamo Car Hire was on my way to my resort for the next three days.

All in all, a superb VS expeience from start to finish - when VS get it right, they cannot be beaten, but when it goes wrong, then....... You will have to wait until a post the return TR

Thanks for reading

buns