Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#947011 by SlimpyJones
16 Nov 2018, 00:04
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So before I begin, I feel it is worth pointing out that this is technically a trip report from Economy Delight - or the extra legroom seats as they were in old money. Still, we don't get many Economy TRs round these parts, so I hope it is useful to some.

Anyway - onto the nitty gritty. This was my outbound flight of a weekend jaunt over the pond to Boston. Pretty much an exact replica of a trip I did back in February. Boston is a handy one as the flight times allow me to do a day of "work" in the Clubhouse, and combined with a Monday morning off, be there and back within a couple of days.

I also wanted to use this weekend opportunity to do a little compare-and-contrast of Economy Delight, and Delta Comfort+, the two "economy plus" products in the VS-DL arsenal. I was to fly out to Boston on the VS11, in Economy Delight, and return on DL58, the earlier evening departure in Comfort+. The earlier departure also suited my need to get back to work for roughly lunchtime on Monday, as the later VS departure makes it all a bit of a rush. Anyway, more on that in my return TR.

I suppose a third reason for the trip is that ED/C+ both give 50 TPs per sector, and track the price of the regular economy ticket, but with an uplift. So if one can score an ED/C+ ticket during a sale, there are some cheap tier points to be had. And in my case, this round trip set me back £470. Not bad with some extra legroom thrown in. And 100 TPs to go toward renewal!

Right - enough explaining. Let's go back to last Friday morning.

It's bloody cold

Yep, it was bloody cold. It was around 0 degrees when it was time to leave the house at around 6am. I needed to get to the Clubhouse by ideally 8:30am to check in with work!
The journey to Heathrow was fairly smooth, minus some rush hour traffic where the M40 meets the M25, but nothing a little motorbike wiggling couldn't handle. In the end, I made it to Heathrow for around 8am. Thank goodness for free motorbike parking! I was absolutely frozen though, my fingers especially so. Perhaps it's time for new gloves.

My first job though was to help some poor soul who's bike's battery was completely drained, so I warmed myself up a bit by pushing his bike while he tried to jump start it! We got it in the end, and it helped warm me up, so we both won, haha.

Pedestrian access to T3 departures is a little tricky when you're not accessing it via the underground. One needs to walk through the Arrivals building, where you can follow signs to departures and emerge in the zone F/G/H end of T3 departures (Zone H formally hosting AA's Flagship First check-in, now it's a dry cleaners..) It's a short walk to Zone A, just follow the bright purple lights...!

Zone A was fairly busy. Not so much people in queues, just lots of people seemingly milling about. Last time I passed through Zone A I made use of the self-checkin kiosks as I was travelling without luggage. It was to be the same again this time around. The screen seemed a little more uncooperative this time round, but I managed to power through. To be honest though, given some of the faff I am not sure they were faster than just going to a check-in desk. The self-service machines allow you to view the seat map in case you want to make any last minute changes. I decided to have a little look at Economy Delight - only seven people booked into the front seats, so perhaps a quiet flight was due.
No upgrade price offered for PE/Upper this time. Nonetheless, boarding pass in hand, it was time for security.

A bit of a log-jam

The private security lane for me is usually completely empty, though it has been a while since I was last about for the morning rush. And a rush there was, the line was backed up to the edge of the tables this time, with quite a few people getting pulled aside for extra checks which only added to the delays.

As I looked behind me more folks were beginning to arrive which seemed to cause concern among the Virgin staff manning the security line. The queue was now back nearly to the door and I was about half way along it.

All in all security took about 15 minutes. It's hard to say whether on this occasion premium security was worth it, as it is not possible to see how busy the main area looked. But still, I'll take 15 minutes during morning rush hour, it could have been worse!

Some extra chairs and repack areas have been added to the private security area just to make it a little nicer, the repack area was much appreciated given the number of folks also repacking their items.

And so off to the Clubhouse I went, running a little late (it was around 8:45am by this point, oops).

All work and... a bit of play

So with departure day also doubling up as a work day, most of my day was spent working on my laptop. Most of it of course, I was in the Clubhouse after all so couldn't let the day pass me by entirely. As is tradition, my first stop was to stop by the spa desk to book an appointment in for a haircut and facial.

As is also becoming an unwanted tradition, I was told that again my favourite barbers were not in, making it the third time running! Nevermind I suppose. As with my trip to Dubai I paid with miles again (the miles were taken within 24 hours) and was scheduled in for lunchtime, as they needed to clear the morning rush before they could see me, which was fair.

The Clubhouse was heaving - not just due to the morning rush, but a delayed VS3 kept more patrons in their seats.

In the end I settled down at the tables next to the disabled lift and got stuck into my work. I do not enjoy working in the Clubhouse - simply because I get too distracted! I was absolutely starving as well, and thankfully I was promptly approached by staff who offered me a menu. I went with tea and took a punt on one of the new options - a goats cheese croissant with scrambled eggs. It was very tasty indeed.

For the curious - I have linked the new LHR Clubhouse menu here. It also has a picture of the croissant!

As it turns out, today was something of a V-Flyer gathering at the Clubhouse, with our very own Mitchja and Mikethe3rd gathering, James off to JFK and Mike (I presume!) off to Miami. I met James upstairs in the loft where he regaled stories of V-Flyer days of yore and meetups galore. I do wish I could have stayed for longer, but my laptop was calling and as much as I'd have liked to, I couldn't avoid my employer. Sorry James!

I spent a bit of time upstairs on the terrace taking in the improved views, with one eye I watched a demolition truck chew up concrete (fascinating...) and another eye on FR24 for some plane spotting. By chance I met Mike up there, who recognised me by the green hoodie I said I was wearing! We also exchanged stories of Virgin travels, and it was great to take my "V-flyer met in real life count" from one to three within the space of an hour. Like with James, I couldn't stay for long - sorry Mike!

My spa appointment came and went, and feeling much renewed I decided it was time for lunch. Sticking with the Irishman's new additions, I went for the Bulgogi Beef and Kale Pizza.

ImageBulgogi Beef and Kale Pizza - yum yum

It reminded me a little of the flatbreads served in the JFK Clubhouse. It was really, really tasty and I was very tempted to order another.

Service during my stay was really attentive, the staff working that area really kept their eyes open and were on hand for top-ups and keeping me looked after. If I could point out one service niggle - it was that they took the menu away every time, so casual browsing was made a little difficult.

As much as I would have liked to try the new afternoon tea service, my stomach was too full and would not have appreciated it.

Flights came and went, and I managed to catch the VS11 was to be leaving from Gate 24 - the bus gates! I still had time so finished up some work, before heading off right on the first boarding call which came at 3:40pm. Until next time, Clubhouse...

A bus to Boston

For the unaware - Gate 24 is the "remote stand gate". It has five waiting areas where passengers then board a bus to be taken to a remote stand.

ImageAll aboard!

Economy Delight passengers are entitled to priority boarding. Although given the alternative boarding procedures this benefit was largely moot. Everyone mixed with everyone on the buses. Thankfully the bus journey was very brief, we pulled up next to G-VZIG which was parked near the main VS gates at around 4pm.

Greeted onboard and directed right towards the Economy cabin. This was my first time on a 787 in Economy, and was a little apprehensive after general reviews of 787s in Economy, thanks to the 3-3-3 layout. I was in 48C, and was one of only seven people in the Delight seats. My first impressions were that the seat was pretty spacious. The legroom certainly helped matters and the lack of seat neighbour meant that I had a bit of breathing space. I suppose one could say this wasn't a true measure of Economy comfort as I had nobody in front to recline into me and nobody next to me to squash me in.

ImageLots of space

The guy across the aisle from me in 48D seemed to immediately notice the difference in legroom and began pointing this out to his companion next to him. I had a feeling they would be keen to give them a go...

Shortly after settling in a flight time of 7 hours 12 minutes was announced. The average for the weeks before was around 6h 45m so it looked like we were up against a strong wind.

A warm welcome

After going through pretty much all of 2017 and 2018 without any kind of recognition or a nod from cabin crew, VS made it three flights in a row for Gold Greetings. I was approached by a member of cabin crew who welcomed me on board and asked if I'd like something - champagne or newspaper, I opted for the former! He was a really nice chap and told me that the two seats next to me were free so I was free to stretch out if I wanted to. He also brought me a huge bottle of water which kept me company throughout the flight. Certainly an excellent start to the flight and set the tone for the remainder.

This same member of the crew began speaking to the middle seats to advise them that due to the light load, people were free to move around the cabin as they liked, but he pointed out the Delight seats and mentioned that there would be an additional charge for the extra legroom. A little while later the doors closed, and a load was announced of 141.

As I expected, my aisle neighbour jumped straight across to the row in front of me to have a little extra legroom. After he went, his companion followed, as well as a few others. Clearly they were either happy to pay for the upgrade or the request from the cabin crew member went disregarded.

After we pushed back at 16:32 (right on time) the extra charges were reiterated over the PA system. Whilst we taxied I started saving a few shows on the IFE to take in over the next seven hours. Damn - no new Travel Man this time!!
Whilst I was browsing, the FSM appeared to also say hello and welcome me on board! She didn't stay quite as long but it was still lovely of her to come and pay me a visit even though I was down the back.

We lined up for a rolling takeoff ten minutes later and were up in the air after a short takeoff, heading straight to the West. After the post-takeoff announcements came, the Economy menus were handed out.

The drinks run came just as we were passing over south Wales. I opted for an Amarula as I realised it was served in Economy as well (I always thought it was a Premium thing), and received two bottles with compliments of my choice from the crew! They seemed like a really nice bunch today.

A hot towel came round just as I started to settle in to watch Incredibles 2.

Some interlopers

The guy who was originally across from me, and now in front of me decided to recline his chair. Thankfully, given the extra legroom, it was not particularly intrusive but it still left a bad taste. As the initial service was well and truly completed, I decided to get up and head to the rear galley to see if I could find the guy who greeted me earlier. I mentioned the extra legroom seats had been claimed by folks originally not in them. He seemed surprised to learn this but was completely understanding and said he would handle the problem. I wanted to choose my words carefully as I didn't want to accuse him of not doing his job - but it was unfair when you pay a premium to take extra legroom, and instead there are chancers who will try them without paying and without being challenged.

I realise this might make me seem like a telltale, but it didn't sit right with me (no pun intended!). True to his word, a few minutes after I got back to my seat he was doing the rounds with the manifest and advised everyone who moved to a Delight seat that they were chargeable and if they wanted to stay then payment would be taken during the duty free run. Pretty much everyone agreed to make the payment from what I could see!

Time to eat!

The meal service began at around 6pm. As always, here's the Economy menu for anyone interested. This was the September cycle, and valid for pretty much every Westbound flight out of LHR.

Starters

Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad

Main Meal

Malvani chicken curry
Toulouse sausages and stewed cherry tomatoes
Creamy tomato & mozzarella rigatoni bake

Pudding

Gü pot

Afternoon tea

Cheddar cheese and tomato chutney sandwich, chocolate treat and crisps.

I decided to go for the sausages, as I don't think I've ever had sausages on a plane...! Plus some red wine to go along with it.

ImageToulouse sausages!

My initial impressions were a little bad, the starter pasta was a bit rubbish - I was reminded of one of those cold Tesco pasta pots. For the main - there was a single piece of broccoli which I chuckled at a bit, but the sausages were delicious, so I ate the lot! The gu treat is always welcomed as well.

To top the meal off, the FSM personally took my tray away, and asked if I'd like any cheese and port from Upper! How could I possibly say no? The rest of the crew were really friendly and proactive and cleared away everyone else's trays with a smile. I suppose with a 50% load, one must expect a good service!

All this attention didn't go unnoticed though - the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder to ask if I was an off duty pilot!! :-D

ImageMy view after shuffling over to 48A for a nice window view

A bit of rough air

The lights went out at around 7:30pm but I continued to watch my movie. I'd highly recommend Incredibles 2!

The wifi was behaving well and I was able to message home throughout. Things started to get a little patchy as were were approaching the middle of the Atlantic. Things continued pretty smoothly over the water but as we were neared Newfoundland things started getting really bumpy.
So bad in fact that the crew had to suspend service and were instructed to take seats themselves. The wifi reliability tanked, and we ended up descending by about 5k feet to avoid the worst of it. Looking out of the window, the wings were displaying their full range of bendyness. We weren't quite able to shake it off until we'd crossed land and were back out to sea, and were back up to 40k. It was probably the worst turbulence I've experienced in a long time.

Around 90 minutes before landing we over Nova Scotia and had lost the last bit of sunlight that we had been chasing all the way over the Atlantic. The lights came back on and it was time for the afternoon tea service. As mentioned above, afternoon tea consists of sandwiches, crisps and a little chocolate treat. The sandwiches and crisps were decent and those little chocolates are always excellent.

ImageAfternoon tea service

Nearly there

The guy sitting behind me was quite a chatterbox and struck up conversation with me again whilst we started our descent toward Boston. He was a nice guy but it started to hurt my neck twisting around to talk to him for so long! We seemed to wiggle around a little before we lined up to approach Boston from the North.

It seemed as though I had picked the wrong side of the cabin in order to see anything. Mind you there was some very low cloud over Boston, plus the sun had long gone so there was no chance of seeing anything regardless! The FSM and the cabin crew member who I spoke to earlier both came round to say goodbye. I have to say that the crew on my last few flights have been thoroughly nice lately, particularly in regards to Gold recognition. Perhaps I have just been incredibly lucky or the consistency has improved a lot. One way or another they made a good flight an excellent one.

Our final approach saw us finally breach the low clouds and we touched down at at 20:11 local time. I had arrived in Boston during the two week period where the UK had changed back to GMT, but the US had not changed, so only a four hour time difference to deal with. Boston was very foggy but the rain and thunderstorms that I was expecting thankfully did not materialise. We taxiied for around 15 minutes before eventually parking up at gate E8.

My immigration experiences at Boston have always been really quick and today was no exception. Annoyingly the Global Entry gates are the farthest away, and on this occasion I suspect they were no quicker than the regular lines!!

Thankfully as I did not have checked luggage I could breeze right through customs and head straight to the subway system. I do love Logan Airport's proximity to the city and how quick it is to get into the city.

I was actually staying in Cambridge for the weekend and it took around 45 minutes to get to my accommodation using the Subway system.

All in all, it was a great flight with a great crew, good seat and good food. The seat was comfortable throughout and I think the fabric material did a good job. I didn't get too hot as I can sometimes do in PE due to the leather seat. I have a feeling it might be a slightly different story if the flight was more busy, the lack of seatmates did help in terms of stretching out. Nonetheless I would gladly try Economy again in the 787. My return trip was two nights later using Comfort+ on Delta, about which I shall post. Until then, thanks for reading!

#947012 by mitchja
16 Nov 2018, 06:11
Thanks for the TR :)

Great to meet you and glad you had a good flight.

I must get round to posting my TR’s but the weather wasn’t much better at JFK either, so much so they had slowed arrival flights right down so my flight took around 8hrs 40mins :-O. My onward DL flight to FLL was delayed for approx 2 hours as well because of the weather at JFK and the weather on-route over a Florida.

Good to see you got an AU welcome. I too got a AU welcome on-board my Premium flight, though nothing what so ever on the return flight so VS inconsistency still at play.
#947020 by CommanderB
16 Nov 2018, 13:12
Great TR as always Slimpy!

Great to hear about the Gold welcome, even in Y! I have had a good number of them recently, so it looks like the policy is getting some improvement.
#947025 by Tinuks
17 Nov 2018, 13:31
Thanks for the TR. I'm making this trip in Economy Delight in January. I agree with your points about the price and extra Tier Points, but what was a big deciding factor for me is that the old PE seats in the 346s haven't got in-seat power
#947026 by mitchja
17 Nov 2018, 13:47
Tinuks wrote:Thanks for the TR. I'm making this trip in Economy Delight in January. I agree with your points about the price and extra Tier Points, but what was a big deciding factor for me is that the old PE seats in the 346s haven't got in-seat power

They do all have in-seat power, it's just that it's the older EmPower type though. The crew will lend you an EmPower to USB/power socket converter though if you ask them (the same ones they offer in the Upper Class cabin). I always ask for one if I fly in Premium or Upper on the A346's.
#947028 by Sealink
17 Nov 2018, 17:35
Lovely TR. Reminds me of my first ever VS flight, which was to Boston in Economy too.

I found Boston immigration to the be the worst and am grateful for Global Entry.
#947042 by Tinuks
18 Nov 2018, 11:33
mitchja wrote:
Tinuks wrote:Thanks for the TR. I'm making this trip in Economy Delight in January. I agree with your points about the price and extra Tier Points, but what was a big deciding factor for me is that the old PE seats in the 346s haven't got in-seat power

They do all have in-seat power, it's just that it's the older EmPower type though. The crew will lend you an EmPower to USB/power socket converter though if you ask them (the same ones they offer in the Upper Class cabin). I always ask for one if I fly in Premium or Upper on the A346's.

Thanks for the info. I asked the crew and they told me there was none. I had to go to economy and use someone's usb port to charge my phone. It's odd that the crew member I asked didn't know that.
#947247 by roadrunner
28 Nov 2018, 00:36
Great TR and thanks. I am a bit suspicious of the new economy 'deals' but E plus sounds reasonable and the tier points a very good value. It's not clear to me if there is a foot rest in E plus? I would have a very difficult time moving back without that! Enjoy your weekend adventures --Boston is really a very nice destination when it's not winter.
#947249 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2018, 06:51
roadrunner wrote:Great TR and thanks. I am a bit suspicious of the new economy 'deals' but E plus sounds reasonable and the tier points a very good value. It's not clear to me if there is a foot rest in E plus? I would have a very difficult time moving back without that! Enjoy your weekend adventures --Boston is really a very nice destination when it's not winter.

Hmm yes I omitted that detail didn't I! Unfortunately no the Economy seats didn't have a footrest, think that's just a Premium thing.
I didn't notice it's absence too much due to the other empty seats to be honest!
Virgin Atlantic