Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948020 by walesflyer
10 Jan 2019, 00:14
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Up early for the train from South Wales to Heathrow. Always book in first class to go on holiday as spend too many hours for work in standard class to and from Paddington. A picnic breakfast of croissants and champagne started our holiday off in style. A quick hop on the heathrow express and up to T3. Check in was pretty quiet, we only waited a few moments. A curt but swift check in agent at the desk, we were then the only ones in the private security channel and so we were through to the clubhouse in record time (with the obligatory stop to pick up duty free gin for the trip).

Like the seasoned pro's we now are (our 3rd time in UC - ;-) ) we went straight to the spa to order treatments, the complimentary facial for husband and shellac nails for me. It was quite busy in the lounge at this point, but we found some comfy seats just in front of the bar. It was still a bit early for the lunch menu, but we didn't fancy breakfast and so we waited a little while and had a couple of drinks before ordering some snacks. To my dismay, the sausage rolls are no longer on the menu. Instead I ordered the meatballs which were pretty good. A drink or two later and we moved to the restaurant area. It took a little while to get served but the food arrived quickly. We both had a few more items of the snack menu, and supplemented it with goodies from the deli and a glass or two of wine. Whilst eating, I overheard a gentleman on the table next to us tell the waitress that the clubhouse burger was the best burger he had ever had and please would she tell the chef! That has made my mind up to try it next time when I'm there in March. After lunch, I left husband to his own devices while I went to get my nails done, which takes a good 45 minutes. We reconvened by which time the clubhouse was much quieter, so we sat a while longer (with another drink of course) waiting for flight to be called. We headed down at first call as I like to get on and settle myself in. There was priority boarding in place at the gate but it seemed a bit chaotic, there were very few seats at the gate so everyone was stood around and it wasn't clear which queue we should join. Once on board, we were warmly welcomed. Amenity kits, menus and water on seat. I don't recall any detail as to the number of PAX or which plane it was sorry... I always seem to miss this detail! Champagne was promptly offered and accepted. We pushed back more or less on time I think.

Orders were taken for dinner and pre-dinner drinks. they are now serving one of my new favourite gins (Aviation) so I ordered that, plus we ordered a bottle each for duty free on our flight back.
Dinner was great - we both had the cauliflower soup which we enjoyed. I struggled a bit to make my mind up with the mains as none of it sounded particularly appetizing. I went with the chicken option which I actually quite enjoyed, husband chose the salmon which he also liked. I skipped dessert and went straight to the cheese.

I I love day flights in UC the most, as I think you get to make the most of all on offer. We normally head to the bar for a drink but on this flight I think we were both too engrossed in the films we were watching. I managed to squeeze in 3 movies altogether. I was too full when afternoon tea/extra bites were being served, so just had a cup of tea.

The crew throughout the flight were fantastic and couldn't do enough.

On landing, we were one of the first through to the automated security screens but I could see that large queues were forming behind us. A short wait for luggage and then the walk through the terminal and across the sky bridge to the Hilton on site. I think it is probably a record quick time for us in a US airport to get landside!

The Hilton is a decent enough hotel for one night, and very convenient as you don't need to take shuttle buses. We took a trolley from the terminal and wheeled it over and actually took it in to our room so we had it the next day.

The next morning we got the shuttle bus to the car rental centre and headed down to Cape Cod where we had a wonderful 5 nights over Christmas, before returning to Boston for new year.

All in all, a great flight, nothing to fault, looking forward to the next one. Well done virgin. Forgot to say, one was a G, the other a revenue flight as only had enough miles for one.
#948032 by pjh
10 Jan 2019, 10:43
Thanks for both this and the return TR. Both of them whetted my appetite for our upcoming trip to the US.