Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948360 by ColOrd
26 Jan 2019, 21:23
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So this initially started as idol chat between friends, a group of 5 of us has been saying for years we were going to do a big trip away together either a weekend in Dubai, Vegas or Miami! I had heard the chatter all before and it started to bore me with the fact that it was hot air and no one ever followed through!

Well! When I went out to Dubai in July, I said to them to pick dates and sitting in the Clubhouse in Heathrow booked the flights for this weekend! Economy Light fares were a snatch for the guys, and we booked into premium! I then upgraded mine to Upper and my flat mate being a cheapskate refused and then moaned! His loss! We then added another one one in October and so there was 6 set for a weekend of fun and frolics in Vegas!

Dropped bags off the previous night at Twilight checkin, I was trying to sort an upgrade to Premium for one of the guys in Y, but they wanted too much for it, so we passed. One of the lads couldn't check in on line and had the dreaded SSSS on his boarding pass.

Premium Security at Gatwick was smooth and through in seconds. Half of the group were going in the Number 1 lounge so most of us had Premium security. The guy who had the SSSS was through a moment or two after the rest of us, with no major dramas.

We all headed to the lounges with three bound for the Clubhouse and three for the Number 1, but I had a cheeky little way of snarfing them with an upgrade to the Number 1 Clubrooms!

First time in the LGW Clubhouse and I was impressed, as always the service was impeccable and I see why people rate the LGW CH! Lovely views across the apron and its so nice to see 747's coming and going with such regularity. The two friends I took in were hooked with how good the service was, and loved the Redhead. We had a few more cocktails, including a Wamble (Bramble with but with Whisky) and soon it was time for boarding. I am known on this board for legendarily long stays in the Clubhouse, and 0630-0930 just didn't feel long enough.

We waited at the entrance to the lounge complex for everyone else and walked down as a group to a very busy Gate 51 with boarding in full swing. Tom and I in Premium & Upper cut through but the priority line was still busy with Economy Delighters and we were quickly on board G-VAST Ladybird. All cabins were pretty much full.

The CSS working upper came and introduced herself to everyone in the cabin, and there was time for a few Champoos before we left. A little delay whilst de-icing but nothing too bad, sitting in 6A you really do notice those forward facing views as you take off, it was a little weird to be totally honest but very cool! Swung past Kent and had some great views over London as we took a northerly track.

I had the Blue Cheese Soup, and Thai Potato Stew that I had on the flight to San Fran, both were still the same, tasty and rich, although the portion of soup was very small! Dessert was a lovely chocolate cheesecake with raspberry coulis.

The FSM was very active in the J cabin throughout the service, and nothing was too much trouble for her, including her allowing my friend in Premium to come down and share a drink or two at the galley between J and W, she actually asked us why we hadn't gone and sat at the bar, but given the intimacy of the cabin, I thought it best we remain outside of the immediate view of the other pax.

I managed to have a few hours sleep before being woken for the second meal service, which was again the same sandwiches and scone as in previous TR's and then watching a stunning approach into Vegas and landing on the Southerly runways.

Immigration took an age, with only 4 advisors on for the whole flight. I had hung behind a little to be with the guys, and I regretted doing that.

Straight into an Uber and at the hotel, The Tropicana quite quickly after.

Overall, a great flight, the crew were fantastic, especially the FSM. The LGW experience lacks the same level of specialness that LHR does, but the 747's are still such beautiful queens!!
#948362 by ColOrd
26 Jan 2019, 21:47
champoo.jpg
champoo.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 2646 times

50428506_10156490454222663_5157893583738503168_n.jpg
50428506_10156490454222663_5157893583738503168_n.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 2646 times

50127083_10156490454822663_543945522000429056_n.jpg
50127083_10156490454822663_543945522000429056_n.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 2646 times