Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#949450 by woralla
23 Mar 2019, 09:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Normally I would fly to New York earlier in the day, but various meetings in London meant I had to take the late flight. Arriving at Heathrow, the terminal wasn’t too busy, with no queues at check-in. As AU I used the Upper Class desks and then headed to the private security channel. It was empty, so I was through straight away.

I headed to the Clubhouse which was also not very busy. I ordered the Clubhouse burger and a glass of champagne. An unprompted second glass was brought over to me when the food arrived. Then on to the spa for a quick haircut. It was deserted - I was the only customer!

I headed out to the gate as it was announced. When I got there boarding had already started so I was straight on. I was the first Premium passenger to board. It turned out the flight had a very low load with only 114 passengers.

The crew took jackets to hang up and offered glasses of Prosecco as the other ten passengers in Premium boarded. Everyone had chosen window seats, so I had no one beside me, but someone directly in front of me and someone directly behind me. After takeoff I moved to the aisle seat so that I could recline without bothering others. As I moved over, a couple of other passengers nabbed bulkhead seats. The crew had said people could move about, but not until after takeoff.

It took a while before we did finally leave the gate. We took-off about 40 minutes behind schedule. However with a quick flight time, this meant we should arrive at JFK on time.

Once in the air, the drinks trolley came around quickly. It was good to see Jack Daniels back in the Premium offering. Next came the food service. No trolley as there was such a light load. The crew came and took everyone’s orders, then brought trays out one by one from the galley. Two bottle of red wine were brought with mine!

The FSM did come back to introduce herself to the two AU passengers in Premium. But there was no glass of champagne offered.

Food cleared away, I watched a movie on my iPad. The IFEE on the 346 is very dated and the screens pretty small.
I napped for a while.

About 90 minutes out, afternoon tea was served. It was 11pm New York time, or 3am in London, so a bit of an odd food choice. The quality of the sandwiches and cakes seems to have improved with Eric Lanlard’s food offering.

We landed into JFK on schedule. At the gate, Upper disembarked first. It would appear half the flight was in the front, with most Upper seats taken. The rest of the plane was pretty deserted.

All in all a good flight, although not one of the best I’ve had recently, but that is difficult on what was effectively a night flight. The 346 is starting to feel it’s age, but not so much in Premium as in Upper - see previous Upper trip report.

There’s a video of the flight over on YouTube.
#949458 by buns
23 Mar 2019, 16:06
Woralla

Thanks for the TR - and the very informative YouTube Vlog :-D

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I too was very pleased to see the return of JD miniatures in PE and Mrs B (after getting over the shock of seeing a PE report from you ;-) ) was equally pleased to see Aviation Gin Miniatures on offer when her eagle eyes spotted it on the menu.

She asks me to pass on her thanks for your offerings on your channel.

Thanks once again

buns