Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#949511 by dickydotcom
26 Mar 2019, 08:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
We were ready to leave our apartment in Hilton Head at half past seven, which was a bit early but we are happy to wait at the airport rather than risk delays.
A couple of miles down the road the car showed a low pressure tyre warning. Three stops later I have worked out which tyre is low. (not the one shown on the dash!) and we are continuing our 300 mile drive to Atlanta. We did have to endure one five mile jam so we were happy to have left early.
Returning the car and getting the shuttle bus to the International side was very easy. There was only one other person on the bus. We were very early but the Virgin desks were open with no queue and we were quickly through that and through security with no waiting there either. We found our way up to the lounge and settled in some chairs then I went off in search of food and drinks. A cup of tea to start with a cookie.
Then comes the drink part Mrs. D only likes slim line tonic with her gin and they don’t have any so I opt for a Sauvignon Blanc for Mrs. D and Chardonnay for me. We have a few bits of cheese and biscuits. There is other food but it all looked and smelled revolting. Unless you are a big fan of broccoli and cauliflower. For a second round of drinks I looked at the menu to find bubbly, Veuve de Vernay was a complimentary drink so Mrs. D was happy.
There are no flight announcements in the Delta lounge so six o’clock we headed for the gate which was quite close to the lounge, and we were soon boarding. We settled in to 10A and 11A and were served a glass of champagne. I drank mine a bit too quickly and it was topped up.
[url=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/dickydotcom/media/3980.%202019.%20March%2023rd.%20On%20Board_zps1jcgj9j1.jpg.html]Image

We buckled up and pushed back on time for an estimated seven and a half hour flight. Up in the air and we were offered more drinks. I just had a soft drink but Mrs. D opted for fizz.For the meal I just had a main course of steak, while Mrs. D had the salmon starter and the steak.
As soon as we finished eating we put the beds down to try and get some sleep. We had both opted for fresh fruit and yoghurt breakfast and to be woken.
[url=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/dickydotcom/media/3987.%202019.%20March%2024th.%20On%20Board%20breakfast_zpsdovkuhux.jpg.html]
I was awake a bit early but did manage about four hours sleep on and off.
Breakfast was as good as it gets on a plane.
[URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/dickydotcom/media/3987.%202019.%20March%2024th.%20On%20Board%20breakfast_zpsdovkuhux.jpg.html]Image

We did have a very pretty sunrise out of our side of the plane and as we headed over Ireland and Wales we were told we may have to hold a bit. As we flew over Weybridge the plane banked left and went straight over the top of Heathrow which I though was odd.
We then banked right and did a U turn by City airport before lining up for landing at Heathrow.
Throughout the flight the crew were efficient and friendly.
We had a gentle landing at about 6.30 and were quickly off the plane. It seemed likes miles to walk to immigration where we were directed to automatic booths. People were complaining they weren’t working. I went straight through. Mrs. D struggled until I told her to pretend she was having here passport photo taken and not look so grumpy then it let her through.
We got to the baggage area and had to wait at least twenty minutes for our bags to appear. I thought upper were supposed to be first off, but there were other passengers from our cabin waiting.
Our son was there to pick us up and whisk us off round the M25 and M3 to home.

Dick D
#949520 by hiljil
26 Mar 2019, 15:17
Thank you for an interesting TR . Glad all went well after the horrors of the tyre pressure.

Loved the photos. Thank you.
#949521 by pjh
26 Mar 2019, 15:52
Glad to hear you had a good flight.

Does any other airport in the world feature a route to landing that shows as many iconic / sight seeing musts as the flight into Heathrow from the east?

Paul
#949538 by buns
27 Mar 2019, 06:52
Dicky

Thanks for the excellent TR. I have to agree about the impression the Delta Lounges leaves upon you - especially in Atlanta. I think Mrs B and I will continue our routine of grabbing something substantial to eat elsewhere prior to entering a Delta Lounge ;-)

Your Report also highlights an issue I had never thought of. Many V Flyers will have traversed the Terminals at Atlanta and I think most of us have seen how easy connections can be undertaken. However, up to now, it had never crossed my mind as to picking up and dropping off a hire car at such a vast complex :-O

One day, Mrs B and I will actually sop at Atlanta :-D

Thanks once again

buns
#949540 by David1946
27 Mar 2019, 08:14
Thanks for the report which was made more interesting as we were on the VS110 to MAN 2 days later (trip report to follow hopefully). Fully agree about the lounge and food, some of which looked a bit strange. I had some mac&cheese which was ok and the obligatory 'cookie'. Having used car rental at ATL I found it very easy with the bus connection running every few minutes. We have stayed in Atlanta and there is plenty to see and do for a few days. David
#949553 by pjh
27 Mar 2019, 18:20
buns wrote:Thanks for the excellent TR. I have to agree about the impression the Delta Lounges leaves upon you - especially in Atlanta. I think Mrs B and I will continue our routine of grabbing something substantial to eat elsewhere prior to entering a Delta Lounge ;-)

I wonder whether the service and offerings vary Sky Lounge to Sky Lounge within any given airport? Certainly the 3 Delta lounges we have been in have been quite different in some respects, though food was buffet style at all of them;

1. JFK serviced bar and drinks menu, indicating which drinks were complementary and which to be paid for

2. MSY serviced bar but no menu

3. DTW self service from a small selection.

I guess I could have tried 2 different lounges at DTW, but they were 50 gates apart, the tram link wasn't operational and I didn't fancy the walk...
Virgin Atlantic