Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#949552 by roadrunner
27 Mar 2019, 17:32
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Again a quite late afternoon flight departure time due largely to day light savings --which had started already in the US but not UK.

Deposited hire car, shuttle to T3, no queue at check-in, and boarding right on time, no wait in pre-board area. I was pulled out (as usual) to have my carry on rummaged through by security but guard looked at my ticket, which said Priority TSA Cleared not sure why, and ushered me on. The lady behind me whose BP had pinged in line, pushed hard to understand the check-in crew member's telling her she had been 'selected' for screening, as she thought that was very good news and was trying to get a clear answer to what the selected prize was!

Two doors on this one (UC at A and Everyone Else at B) we turned right and right, bags up quite quickly. About 2/3 full UC, half PE and half EC. PE was well spread out and again we had a thoughtful bulkhead occupant who didn't feel the need to fully recline her seat.

Prosecco (okay it's just Prosecco, but it's much nicer than the cheap fizz that's been offered PE recent years) served but had a good wait to leave as missing some pax. Pilot shared that we'd have a particularly long flight due to headwinds (about 7.5 hours) so settled in with movies you could be pretty sure you'd see all of.

Crew did manual safety demo accompanied by narrated audio-- hopefully this means VS have bagged that old video which I always found tiresome, and not clever.

We had two meals on this flight: dinner and tea. I had the butternut squash risotto, which came labeled pumpkin risotto and had decidely pumpkin-like chunks, and pretty much wished I'd had what my partner did, the beef. Tea was a nice choice if bneef and horseradish or pesto, tomato and cheese sandwiches but they were very heavy on bread and very light on filling. They were accompanied by a lemon curd eclair, a scone with cream and jam and a
very full carb load that needed that jolting mug of dark tea to wash it all down.
The Wander Wall was much more fully stocked and well-visited (not sure why UC pax would have chosen to get their own but they made good use of it!). PE pax were offered wine both pre and post dinner as well as frequent inquiries was there anything we needed.

The sunset was gorgeous on the K side but A side had the equinoxial moon.

Flight was smooth entire duration, seat belts only on start and end when we did have a bit of a bumpy landing (those winds) and it was a water container in the galley that should have been belted in as it made a dramatic little stream down the aisle on arrival the other side of the Atlantic.

Immigration is all electronic at Logan and works well now, although ours was slowed by the two Australian backpackers who were texting in line ahead of us (and under the signs that say no mobiles of any kind) and had to be chivvied to move on (I accidentally kind of hit one with my passport) and then were parked by the immigration officer for a good long time as they were in the wrong line altogether.

Is it just me, or is the quite musty smell from VS cabins that seems unmistakable and lingers in your nose and most likely your clothes? I'm always left with a strong desire to open a window!

Another good flight, although not home until after midnight EST due to late arrival. PE is a good product, especially on a short flight, but a UC bed would have been welcome even at 7 plus hours as the PE seats, while a good size, are just not comfy enough to curl up in.