Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#950622 by JamesH
28 May 2019, 16:38
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but here we go! After near three years without a VS flight (I nearly made it to Gold, but you know, early years of marriage changed my travel habits!).

The wife and I were doing a California road trip for our 30th, and were very excited for the epic adventure ahead.

Thanks to the handy tips from Rob at head for points, using some miles I managed to upgrade our economy to premium return, with the total coming in at under £1k for two tickets!

We started off the trip catching the BA LBA-LHR fight the night before. After this we proceeded to the Sofitel in T5. I highly recommend this the night before the flight! We booked a couple of head massages and used the spa, what a great start to the trip!

The next day, we proceeded to T3 using the Heathrow express to make the short transfer. I love using this as a transfer method, I don’t know why, it just seems fun!

Walking up to the check in I love, but hadn’t seen for years, I was slightly disappointed at the cold check in process, not the usual jolly and cheeky check in I had experienced so many times before.

Security was a quick affair for Heathrow, and after a light splurge in duty free it was time to board. Priority boarding was working well, and we were straight on the plane, with a glass of bubbly in hand.

It was my first time flying on a B 789 and overall the cabin was in great condition. The touchscreen entertainment was a massive upgrade from the previously faffy one, and the seats whilst not as generous as the older ones in terms of space, still very comfortable. It was also my first time seeing the windows dim, rather than pulling the blind down. I may sound like a new kid on the block, but hey I enjoyed it!

Service was great the whole flight, and the wonder wall added to the overall experience. Dinner was lovely but I can’t remember what we had and loved the afternoon tea pre landing.

Off we were into SFO with the automatic machines confusing the entire crowd.

Next stop was the Marriot at SFO followed by Hertz SFO>Yosemite>Disneyland>LA>Santa Barbara>Pismo beach>Big Sur>San Francisco

As lovely as premium is, I’m going to have to treat the wife to Upper next time, hopefully in the new seat.