This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#910434 by Rugger Mad
21 Sep 2015, 21:10
Just seen this on a RAF forum - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... four-years

Could the old girl really be making a comeback? Personally, I'd love to see her back. I seem to remember SRB attempting to purchase it to fly for VS a few years back but BA put the kybosh on it.

Thoughts?
#910438 by tontybear
21 Sep 2015, 22:12
This story / suggestion makes the rounds on a regular basis.

Not going to happen. Ever.

When SRB wanted to buy them Airbus (as ultimate successor to the original builders) made it clear that they weren't prepared to maintain them and nor would they assist any other company to do so either.
#910444 by TimCrawley
22 Sep 2015, 01:00
+1 to what Tontybear says

Unfortunately it's late 1960s technology put together by the early 1970s and the skills / tooling to make spares and effective repairs are now pretty much gone along with the expertise to make any further modifications to meet evolving aviation guidelines from 2019 onwards (when they would hope for it to be airborne).

Just for info, the last one to fly AFAIK was G-BOAF which flew from LHR to Filton (Bristol) at the end of 2003 - it was fitted with the Kevlar-rubber fuel tank liners and wiring mods after the Paris disaster as part of the 'Back to Flight' programme .... the airfield at Filton is now non-operational since late 2012 and plans approved to build homes there earlier this year (but includes a museum to hold G-BOAF which clearly cannot be moved from there now unless on the back of a rather large truck!).
#910449 by Concorde RIP
22 Sep 2015, 10:38
Even with my life-long love and admiration for Concorde, my best rose-tinted spectacles, a major dose of mad optimism and a trip into the fanciful - it will never (crying) happen.

For all the reasons above - bl00dy shame, but there it is.

On a more whimsical note - there was the most incredible thread running on PPRUNE a few years back, devoted to Concorde.

It became the most fascinating (100s of pages) discussion of just about every aspect of Concorde, and was priviledged to have a huge contribution from original designers, pilots, engineers etc.

The result, an absolute treasure trove of information about every aspect of the challenge of building and flying Concorde and how many of these challenges were overcome.

At one point in the discussion, the thought arose "knowing all of that, with the know-how still around and modern techniques, couldn't we now build a really efficient son-of-Concorde and it be much, much better?"

And this is a question I still ponder - do it now before all this knowledge and learning from the original is lost....with new materials available, 50 years of engine development etc - surely, it must be possible?

But no, reality will prevail, it just won't happen.

Of course, it could be done, but times have changed - imagine the up-troar (quite justified) from environmentalists etc...

I'll have to make do with the 47 models of Concorde I have at home, from 3 inches to 3 feet long!!, in wheels down and wheels up configuration, in BA and AF liveries, made of metal to wood.....
#910452 by mallin
22 Sep 2015, 10:58
Also read this article, the nearest I ever got to this amazing machine was at Duxford too many years ago to remember. It was very narrow inside but thrilling non the less.

I also love the Vulcan having been in and associated with the RAF for over 40 years, sadly thats also come to an end. I remember a flypast at Coningsby in the 70's when it flew over our heads at some ridiculously low height scared everyone I thought it was fantastic. Memories eh? Linda
#910454 by Concorde RIP
22 Sep 2015, 11:10
To follow up my "whimsical note" from my previous post, here is a link to the thread on PPRuNe.

It all started with an innocent question regarding an APU on 13th August 2010 and developed into one of the best chat threads I have ever read - and read again, in fact, I'll think I'll read it through again soon for the 5th time!!!

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/423988-c ... stion.html
Virgin Atlantic