This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#958703 by jackhjharding
05 Jan 2021, 00:18
Hi all

Covid permitting (!), we’re hoping to book a family holiday to Orlando for November 2021. I’ve been building miles for a number of years and the wife and I would love to treat ourselves to flying Upper Class (looks like will be an A330-300 at present) as we’ve never experienced UC before.

However.... we have a daughter who will be almost 2 at the time of travel. Whilst I know I shouldn’t care and every passenger is entitled to travel where they would like etc, I can’t help but be a bit self-conscious about flying in UC with a toddler who could cry/make noise during the flight.

For those that have travelled UC, have you experienced flights with children of this age before and how has it been? I’m tempted to waited until she’s a bit older but could be waiting a while :-D

Cheers
Jack
#958704 by ColOrd
05 Jan 2021, 00:43
Oh this could start a debate as intense as the to recline or not!!

Personally, if you wanna take your daughter I think you should as a paying passenger you have as much right as anyone else, that being said I think it’s appropriate you are responsible with an appropriately stocked iPad/toys/games etc.
#958707 by Spongthrush
05 Jan 2021, 01:33
From my experience, 2yo kids get my blessing, but whoever is looking after them may not.

Anyone who’s been a parent should understand that a bored, tired 2yo requires a certain amount of effort expended to keep them entertained, which can be exhausting! As long as you’re doing your best as a parent, like anything else in life, people generally understand. If child is having a bad day, I assure you that plenty of us would be empathising rather than criticising.

What I find really annoying are the parents who are completely hands off, which I assume is because they are used to nanny doing the childcare and have no clue themselves, with the inevitable consequences of kids toddling around the cabin, crying, etc. :-D
#958713 by CommanderB
05 Jan 2021, 10:34
Spongthrush wrote:From my experience, 2yo kids get my blessing, but whoever is looking after them may not.

Anyone who’s been a parent should understand that a bored, tired 2yo requires a certain amount of effort expended to keep them entertained, which can be exhausting! As long as you’re doing your best as a parent, like anything else in life, people generally understand. If child is having a bad day, I assure you that plenty of us would be empathising rather than criticising.

What I find really annoying are the parents who are completely hands off, which I assume is because they are used to nanny doing the childcare and have no clue themselves, with the inevitable consequences of kids toddling around the cabin, crying, etc. :-D

Couldn't agree more here. I've been in UC when others have been travelling with kids and it's been absolutely fine because they've been well behaved and looked after. The fact the OP has even asked the question leads me to believe them to be a considerate person that wouldn't allow travelling with their child to disrupt others.

In fact i've been on plenty of UC flights where fully grown adults have been the issue, so well behaved kids... not too concerning.
#958720 by Bombardier
05 Jan 2021, 14:21
My take on this (I’ll don my tin helmet), one of the reasons I choose to fly upper is that it’s usually a child free zone.
I’ve had many flights in economy over the years listening to children screaming and running about the aircraft with their “parents” seemingly oblivious to their precious little brats annoying behaviour.
I’ll be first to admit that not all children behave in this annoying manner and there are many responsible parents that have the decency to control their offspring whilst using public transport, unfortunately there are a minority that don’t.
I am also a firm believer that children shouldn’t be allowed in pubs, however now the 747s have gone and the bar has also disappeared from the leisure flights that point is no longer apt, I was once on a flight to Jamaica and 2 kids were sat hogging the bar for a couple of hours whilst their parents donned their headphones and watched the IFE.
#958722 by Hev60
05 Jan 2021, 17:10
Well the forum has been pretty inactive for many months to be honest, so a lively debate like “should kids be in UC” is sure to be well subscribed to ;-)

As a Gran of two wonderful grandchildren (now grown up) who have travelled in all VS classes, I think I’ll pass on replying to the thread but I shall read with laughable interest :D

It’s a bit like the “should kids go to Vegas” question which is also guaranteed to bring lots of both positive & negative replies.
#958726 by McMaddog
05 Jan 2021, 21:39
Have a search for trip reports by MDVIPond. He charted plenty of useful kids in UC advice.
On long haul I've only ever had a problem once with a child which is fewer times than I've experienced issues with drunk adults.
#958752 by narikin
07 Jan 2021, 17:46
Been in UC with my son from 3mo to 4 years, all ok. He was well behaved as a babe, got many compliments, but as they get older, bringing entertainment (iPad/ phone w many downloaded fav shows and kiddie headphones) and a lot of snacks is essential. If a night flight, change into PJs in lounge (hah! if there is a lounge ever again) and board ready for sleep.

Funny thing first time we boarded with our babe, NYC to LHR, you could see the Ladies there look kindly on us and coo 'oh, a baby, how lovely', whereas the male executives were rolling their eyes.

(we fly coach as a family now he's 5, no wish to bring up a spoiled child!)
#958765 by Hurricane86
08 Jan 2021, 17:30
We did this MAN-MCO when my daughter was just a little bit younger than yours. It was absolutely fine, my (probably obvious) top tip is to invest in a few new toys ready for your daughter that you know she'll like, keep them hidden away and then bring them out one at a time during the flight. As she gets bored of one, be ready to produce another new thing for her to enjoy. At that age they're so inquisitive that anything new keeps them occupied for ages, so that bought us a good few hours of her happily playing.

Practically speaking the bed in UC is ideal for naps, and you'll find it much easier than being in PE or Economy in that respect. We were a bit nervous of how our daughter would behave on the flight but she ended up being good as gold - other passengers were very good with her as were the cabin crew, the IFM actually came and sat with us and played with her for a good half hour or so. Orlando is obviously a route where kids are expected though!

All in all I'd say go for it, as long as you put in the preparation and are willing to keep your daughter occupied (and the very fact that you're asking here shows that you will) then all will be fine! If you have any specific practical questions feel free to get in touch.
#958769 by Christo
08 Jan 2021, 23:26
I have encountered dozens of infants in UC over the years.

I agree with what other have already said.

1.) The fact you're asking means you don't need to worry! At all! In 99% of circumstances where the parents are trying on some level to ensure they don't disrupt others then other passengers around tend to have a huge capacity for understanding and support.

2.) I've had more flights ruined by adults. Shout out to the human-hyena on the ANU-LGW a few years back. Honestly...nothing is that funny...certainly not 3 films back-to-back...with non-stop screeching laughter on a night flight. Give me an entire cabin of unattended screaming infants any day. This adult wasn't even drinking...wow.
Virgin Atlantic