This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960647 by christ0r
01 Jan 2023, 19:28
I really enjoy VS (and think the on-board service is unbeatable) - but I am beginning to come to the conclusion that their lounge product - which is incredibly hyped - is actually quite weak.

Maybe I am biased by my most recent journey, but my thoughts go as follows:
  • The Heathrow clubhouse is genuinely amazing, probably one of the best lounges in the world - however, with flights moved from LGW to LHR, Partner flights moved to Terminal 3, and access granted to Delta elite cardholders, it is at certain times of the day too busy to be truly enjoyable
  • The Gatwick North clubhouse was one of the very best lounges in the network and I had the privilege of using it several times as a Virgin Lounge, so it's a huge shame it has effectively been dropped. (It is incredible to have it as a generic lounge for easyJet flights, though!)
  • In many US airports, there is an over-reliance on Delta's fairly-mediocre SkyClub lounges. I travelled from Atlanta the other day (early December), and the lounge had a queue of 20 people to get in. To be fair, Virgin passengers could skip the queue - but you wouldn't have wanted to, it was absolutely packed inside and the terminal was nicer.

To be fair, their outstation clubhouses are exceptional - although you have to be flying from the correct airports!

Don't get me wrong, I still love the airline and will continue to fly with them, and I know complaining about the above is very much a first-world problem; however I certainly no longer buy in to the lounge hype.

I wondered if anyone else has come to the same conclusion on Virgin's lounge facilities? And my main takeaway is that I really hope VS moves back to LGW at some point :)
#960648 by mikethe3rd
01 Jan 2023, 20:05
I don’t actually understand why people like them so much. I’d much prefer extra time in bed / home / pub than any airport lounge. That said, yes, I’d prefer to be in one whilst waiting for a flight rather than the main terminal; 40 minutes max. Quick bite, drink and freshen up. People not connecting need to stop spending the best part of a day in there.
#960649 by JamieF
02 Jan 2023, 05:25
I totally agree about LHR I generally fly in the mornings and its always super busy. The service itself has also deteriorated from the general tepid welcome to the frosty restaurant service it now is just a large room with tables and chairs. Don't get me wrong still better than waiting in the terminal.

However I fly regularly through Delhi and the lounge product their is awful here it is better to wait by the gate. Have complained many times to VS however they don't care although they run 2 flights a day all airlines use the same lounge therefore there is no competition and no need to improve.
#960651 by mitchja
02 Jan 2023, 15:10
Having recently flown the VS19 and VS103 from LHR, I’ve not encountered this in the Clubhouse.

If you think the LHR lounge is bad though, try flying from MAN! That 1903 lounge is pitiful now with long queues for everything including the washroom >-(

I flew the VS109 last week and the 1903 lounge was almost standing room only.

Interesting about ATL, as when I was flying home in November, I was categorically told I could not skip the queue despite flying VS Upper Class >-(
#960652 by christ0r
03 Jan 2023, 02:19
mitchja wrote:you think the LHR lounge is bad though, try flying from MAN! That 1903 lounge is pitiful now with long queues for everything including the washroom

I’ve gone from Manchester before (due to a low fare), and the 1903 lounge was a real shock! If the proposed Virgin Clubhouse ever gets built in Manchester (construction started shortly before the pandemic), I think you’ll be in for a real treat. The problem with Heathrow is contention by Delta passengers and flights moved from Gatwick.

However, “if” at the start to the above is a big one! Everything seems to have gone very quiet on that one.
#960659 by mitchja
04 Jan 2023, 12:13
AeroMexico premium pax now also gain access to the LHR Clubhouse.

I used the International SkyClub lounge at ATL (concourse F), however, technically, you can use any of the SkyClubs in any of the concourses.

Whilst there is at least 1 SkyClub in every concourse, only the ones in concourses E & F have showers. I've used most of them over the years and some are way better than others. The ones in concourse E & F are always the busiest. The DL app now displays lounge capacity gauges for ATL (it's rolling out for all other lounge locations this year as well).

I read somewhere that a couple more of SkyClub lounges including the International SkyClub in concourse F are due for refurbishment this year.

Don't spend any longer than you have to in any of the DL SkyClubs as none of them are that great.
#960661 by Hev60
04 Jan 2023, 17:45
Hi out interest does anyone know what Lounge Virgin are using at Tampa airport ?
#960663 by VS075
05 Jan 2023, 00:04
I presume the issue of capacity might get worse once VS are fully integrated into SkyTeam and more FFers/J/F passengers for other SkyTeam airlines are given access rights?
#960685 by pants
09 Jan 2023, 06:57
I have found the all the US lounges have deteriorated under the Management of premium plaza,
I don’t think they have the standards to run airline lounges, fine for pay lounges at airports but not for premium experience.
#960687 by mitchja
09 Jan 2023, 11:52
I've not really noticed much difference having used both the SFO and JFK Clubhouses since they became managed under Premium Plaza.

I was in the JFK Clubhouse last week and it was as good as ever (barring the missing spa of course).

Having also used the BA lounge in LHR T5 for the first time in years last week as well, VS Clubhouses (regardless of if they are managed by Premium Plaza or not) make BA lounges look like bus shelters :D
#960706 by spacedog
16 Jan 2023, 14:25
I really miss the spas :( We are in the LHR CH right now and getting my hair done would be great. I'd love them to be reintroduced, but as the JFK one was removed pre Covid I sadly think they're a thing of the past.
#960707 by CommanderB
16 Jan 2023, 14:45
mitchja wrote:I've not really noticed much difference having used both the SFO and JFK Clubhouses since they became managed under Premium Plaza.

I believe the respective lounge managers were retained and that's probably where the continuity is coming from. The JFK manager especially was very good and I know she's still there.
#960708 by cheesebag
16 Jan 2023, 16:01
I'll probably notice a difference next month, off to SFO in BA Club World (due to lack of reward availability on VS last year) so dreading that a bit!
#960710 by broono83
17 Jan 2023, 17:18
The LHR Clubhouse used to be absolutely amazing. I like a few drinks before the flight so the massive bar and range of cocktails is truly brilliant and more or less still is.

Removing the Spa, the hairdressers, the increase in PAX and the general (though not applicable to all staff) decline in customer service has effectively turned it from a true "Clubhouse" to a large restaurant/bar.

Still look forward to going but its not what it used to be for me.
Virgin Atlantic