This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961303 by EstelleB
12 Apr 2023, 19:18
A few questions for those in the know about using the UC wing and lounge at LHR. We normally fly from MAN and this is also our first time ever flying UC!

Firstly, how far in advance of our flight should we arrive? We are staying overnight close by so can arrive anytime, but I'm never a fan of getting up earlier than I need to! I was planning to book a car (Parker cars?) but is Uber fine to use usually?

Then I have read a few bits on here about dress code, but can someone confirm that my 18 year old son will be OK for the lounge in his shorts or even some joggers? He is autistic and not a fan of smart clothes, particularly when travelling. On that note, is there any point in requesting special assistance (we usually do when flying from MAN) or him wearing his sunflower lanyard, or will it make no difference to the security queue (which is the only bit we need help with)?

Finally - I have had some great advice here re. connection times and decided to not bother with trying to fly down from MAN. Looks like our best option is to get the train, especially as both my kids have railcards. We'll get in at Euston, then either tube or maybe even just Uber over to LHR (app is suggesting about £70 for an XL which isn't bad) and will be travelling down the day before. Key question is about our return, for those who do the west coast line from Euston, do you tend to book the Avanti open return or the cheaper one with West Midlands trains? We've never used the WM one and it looks like they are less frequent.

Many thanks to anyone who can help - tbh the whole process of deciding how to get us and our suitcases down to LHR and back has been a pain - I even tried to persuade the kids that we should come home via MCO and add a few days there but they weren't biting!
#961306 by mikethe3rd
12 Apr 2023, 20:36
How long in the Clubhouse is a personal choice. Really depends how much you want to eat/drink. As it’s your first time, I’d recommend arriving at the wing around 3 hours before departure. That should give you roughly 2 hours in the CH.

Uber is fine. You can put the Upper Class Wing as a drop off location.

Your son can wear shorts or joggers or pretty much anything.

Can’t help with special assistance, but the line shouldn’t be too long for security. If it is, just have a quiet word with one of the VS employees and I’m sure they’ll help you. The wing/security is all in one place - literally a 10second walk, so it’s all very easy.

I’d probably Uber it from Euston with your luggage and family, but do appreciate that this can take anywhere from 40mins to XYZmins.

You could always stay at the Hilton in Paddington, have the night out in London and then Heathrow Express it the next day. This probably adds unnecessary expense and stress however.

No clue about your trains.

Have a great time at the clubhouse and for your first UC flight!
#961312 by CommanderB
13 Apr 2023, 11:50
I agree with mikethe3rd. This is a trip I do regularly myself.

The only issue with the west coast mainline at the moment is the unpredictable strikes. Even if Avanti sell you a ticket, doesn't mean that trains going to run. It's a total minefield at the moment.

I opted to fly BA from MAN to LHR on my last trip (although that was equally disastrous as well). Once the train situation settles down I'll go back to doing the west coast mainline.

I disagree with the taxi across London. For a group of you with luggage, I'd take the taxi over tube/train.

PLUS you get the Upper Class wing which is easily the best check in experience in the UK in my view. If you've never done it before it'll be a treat.
#961313 by EstelleB
14 Apr 2023, 10:18
Thanks folks

I had forgotten about all the train strikes, would be a real pain. A friend has actually offered to come and pick us up but it seems like such an imposition, and I looked at car services but they were asking about £350!

I would definitely have flown down but VA changes our flight times so we would now have either a very (too) tight connection of less than 2 hours, or a 6 hour gap by which time we could be home! I am still looking at prices as I know you can change flights in the day, so could maybe switch to the earlier one if we land early, but interested also in what happened with the disastrous flight CommanderB?
#961315 by CommanderB
14 Apr 2023, 15:54
EstelleB wrote:Thanks folks

I had forgotten about all the train strikes, would be a real pain. A friend has actually offered to come and pick us up but it seems like such an imposition, and I looked at car services but they were asking about £350!

I would definitely have flown down but VA changes our flight times so we would now have either a very (too) tight connection of less than 2 hours, or a 6 hour gap by which time we could be home! I am still looking at prices as I know you can change flights in the day, so could maybe switch to the earlier one if we land early, but interested also in what happened with the disastrous flight CommanderB?

The outbound flight from MAN was terrible because BA flies from T3 at MAN, which is SHOCKINGLY bad. There were baggage handler strikes on that day too (but that didn't affect me). Coming back, the flight was delayed by 2 hours due to a security situation with 2 of the passengers on the flight. Not BA's fault but the met did a pretty bad job of handling the situation which resulted in the entire flight being seriously inconvenienced.

T5 security is also a zoo.
#961318 by tontybear
14 Apr 2023, 21:15
There are NO currently notified train strikes. Please let's not cause any unnecesary worry.

If there aree to be any more then there will be 14 days statutory required notice (and the unions have been giving more notice) of the dates and then 7 days before the train operators announce whoch, if any, services will still run.
#961319 by EstelleB
15 Apr 2023, 10:23
Thanks folks.

CommanderB I think the most useful thing to know is your comment about T5 security. My son is autistic and security is always the most tricky part of our journey as he gets anxious about being stopped for any reason. We always have fast track but it doesn't help too much.

Looks like we'll stick with the train but have a plan B up our sleeve just in case! My adult kids have also now said that maybe they fancy a couple of days in London before we fly out to catch up with friends so all the more reason to use the train!
#961347 by Smid
19 Apr 2023, 13:03
T5 security is not an issue. VS leave from T3. The UC security wing should be fine. Pretty quiet relatively to everything else (normal fast track in T3 can be a zoo as well as non FT).

We come down from Wolverhampton on a similar journey.

Some tips. Get a Family and Friends railcard for a start (we do it via a Two Together, which needs no kids). Saves 30% off all the train fares for a start.

If starting from Euston, then there are multiple routes. Not the cheapest, but probably best for luggage, would be taxi to Paddington (to avoid the circle line and Euston Square), and then HEX to LHR. Quick, flexible. Railcard gets you a third off the 25 quid per person base fare, and kids under 15 travel free. You can advance book these for as little as £5.50 for a set day.

For a relatively fast recent option of Elizabeth line, you take northern line down to Tottenham Court Road, then change for Elizabeth to LHR. I think it's about 10 pounds per person, but the kids won't be free, and there's all the hassle of getting down to Underground, having Oystercards, getting luggage through.

Cheapest is around £5.50, on Piccadilly line, you take the Victoria line down to Green Park, get off, ignore directions for Piccadilly and head up escalators to exit, at top of escalators, follow signs for Piccadilly, and down the escalators again. The alternative is much more bother through tunnels and up and down stairs (as far as I remember, long time since I did it). Roughly 1 hour platform to platform, oyster cards and hassle.

And VS UC Lounge is one of the few I actively turn up early for. That and T3 CX lounge.
#961356 by EstelleB
20 Apr 2023, 14:36
Thanks for the responses everyone. We're actually travelling down to Heathrow the day before we fly. We'll certainly use Uber on the day but will see how the land lies with the kids about taking the tube the day before. Seems less hassle to use Uber as it's straight to the hotel, but may also depend on surge pricing (don't suppose anyone know how much for a black cab - would be afternoon but not rush hour?) May also be more necessary if I over pack which I have been known to do!

We do have railcards, one disabled person (works for 2 people) and one young persons, just need to decide if we want to save £100 to only travel on West Mids trains (one per hour) or splash out for the Avanti ones which means we will pretty much be able to jump on a train whatever time we get back to Euston!
Virgin Atlantic