This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961787 by mediamonkey
19 Jun 2023, 09:20
Hey All

I’ve a bunch of credit card vouchers that expire next year. I know that they have to be booked by the expiration date rather than flown by (thats still the case right?)

Currently silver status which runs out at the end of this year and I don’t think I’ll renew it.

Silver status can book UC flights with the voucher, but if I drop to Red I have to pay 50% extra miles - is that correct?

I want to use them ideally for a big family trip in 2025 using two 2:4:1 vouchers for 4 of us.

Therefore. I was thinking to book some flights in UC using the 2:4:1 voucher for some point late 2024 and then when my dates for 2025 become avail just move the flights.

I’m pretty sure that’s allowable but can anyone confirm?
#961791 by philsiu02
19 Jun 2023, 15:20
From this page: https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credi ... d-plus.jsp

"You can spend your reward for up to 24 months from the date it’s issued. That means you have to have booked your flights and taken the outbound flight within those 24 months. You can take the return journey afterwards."

Assuming those same rules apply to your account, you will need to have booked and have taken the outbound flight before the expiration dates on the vouchers.
#961792 by mediamonkey
19 Jun 2023, 16:19
Interesting. I’ve a flight coming up using a voucher that I originally booked for august last year, for the day before the expiration date of the voucher.

For one reason or another had to keep changing. So perhaps the rules have changed since the.
#961793 by CommanderB
19 Jun 2023, 16:45
mediamonkey wrote:Interesting. I’ve a flight coming up using a voucher that I originally booked for august last year, for the day before the expiration date of the voucher.

For one reason or another had to keep changing. So perhaps the rules have changed since the.

I expect the rules are the same, just VS enforcement of them sucks.

I had a voucher that was expired (but still showing on my account) and the ticketing agent still offered to let me use it.
#961800 by Hev60
19 Jun 2023, 22:30
mediamonkey wrote:Silver status can book UC flights with the voucher, but if I drop to Red I have to pay 50% extra miles - is that correct?

Yes correct. I was silver member last year when I used the companion voucher. I purchased an upper class reward for myself and my companion did not have to use any points. We both then paid the UC fees, charges & taxes.

Whenever you decide to make your enquiry to a call centre agent, I wish you the best very of luck.

I tried to book two fares last week using my upgrade vouchers. It was honestly the worse experience I have ever encountered in 29 years booking flights with Virgin Atlantic. The agent was grossly inadequate in trying to work out the “complexities of this kind of fare”. My phone call with him lasted 1hr & 28mins. It’s taken another two phone calls to try to sort out the mess he created and presently I know I have been overcharged. Probably little hope of getting it refunded.

Thanks to CommanderB I knew in advance how to work out the fare differences when using the credit card vouchers. Simple bit of maths which I assumed a trained ticket agent could also perform! Umm
#961815 by EstelleB
21 Jun 2023, 21:55
I feel your pain! Last year an agent made a total mess of my booking, then in an attempt to fix it, another caused some very different complications!

In the end there were so many entries for points and £ deducted, credited, deducted again on my account that a subsequent agent declared that there was literally no way of knowing if my transaction had been sorted out properly, or if I had in fact paid enough points or £, but that they were confirming my flights regardless because everything was in such a mess!

What I have learned is to ask if they are in Cardiff - these operatives seem to know what they are doing but maybe the others are newer and working from home?
#961819 by Hev60
22 Jun 2023, 14:47
EstelleB wrote:What I have learned is to ask if they are in Cardiff - these operatives seem to know what they are doing but maybe the others are newer and working from home?

Thank you for your kind words. I absolutely agree 100%. If … and that is actually a very big if …. I decide to travel with Virgin Atlantic again I will hang up the phone until I hear a friendly Welsh voice.

These new agents not only do not have a clue, they also have no telephone manner. In the past the agents would engage into friendly conversation and actually take some interest.

I have tried to sort my issue out by emailing the Customer Care Team but apparently they only deal with post travel queries. I was told to liaise with the chatbolt. It’s impossible to adequately rely to a chat line all the issues that occurred. I wanted to write to a human! like in the good old days.

I’m going to give up …I’ll let a Virgin Atlantic have my overcharged payment. Perhaps they can put the cash towards training some efficient knowledgeable booking staff.
Virgin Atlantic