This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961816 by EstelleB
22 Jun 2023, 09:55
We travel in 4 weeks so I'm just putting all the finishing touches in place and have never used the UC wing before so have some questions!

This one may require me to call VA, but last year when we flew MCR-ATL we were unable to check in online/in the app and directed instead to the desk. We weren't sure if this was because we had requested special assistance for my son (has anyone else experienced this?) He has ASD and we need to access fast track security because the combination of long queuing and a 'fear' of security can freak him out.

My questions here are (i) do we need to request special assistance if we are using the UC wing (I wasn't sure if the security situation just feeds you into the regular queues or if it is separate?) and then (ii) if I do, does this mean that we won't be able to use the drive-thru facility because this needs you to check in online (I just don't know how this works tbh)?

I am also curious as to opinions on the impact for security from the UC wing of the strike action? We are travelling on a strike day and staying overnight before so can get there earlier but don't want to get up earlier only to be hanging around the lounge for hours!

Cheers
#961817 by David
22 Jun 2023, 12:14
Morning

I used the normal upper class checkin last week after staying overnight in the Sofitel at T5. Did think about using the drive through check in but decided just to use the free Heathrow express between T5 and T3. You literally come out at the entrance to Virgins checkin area.

Anyways, if you use that method or the DTC both take you to Virgins private security when travelling Upper.

There was maybe 3 or 4 in front of me and the process took around 4 mins. The only downside being if your hand luggage is selected for further inspection ( mines was but only because after taking iPads etc out of my hand luggage I made the school boy error of placing them in the same tray so they had to go through separately again which probably added another 10 mins to the whole procedure)

This was around 8.15 am so maybe was a busy time.

David
#961818 by philsiu02
22 Jun 2023, 13:35
As David said, you can use the private security if you go through the UC wing, or through the normal departure hall. If you use the UC wing then you just go down one corridor and you're at security. If you go through the normal departure hall just use the upper class check-in desks, then use the dedicated lift right next to the desks to get taken up into private security. You'll need to scan your boarding pass on a door to get through but it's all obvious when you get there.

Remember that whichever option you choose, there is a chance of having to queue at the desk to check in if it's busy (and it can get busy during peak times).

Once you get to the private security, it looks like this: https://cdn.onemileatatime.com/wp-conte ... hrow-7.jpg

At the end of the picture you can see the actual security scanning and that is basically alongside the standard security desks, but it's separated by screens. From my (admittedly limited) experience, it's not noisy, it's not rushed and it probably feels less stressful which should all help your son. However, this private security line can get busy. I've never tried, but if you walk back from that security line you'll end up in back in the UC Wing and you may be able to ask one of the Virgin Staff members for help if you feel that you need to get your son through quickly.

FWIW, I was there last August during a time when it seemed to be really busy and chaotic at the airport. We had a morning flight so probably arrived about 8am. It took about 10mins to check in (one group in front of us), and we were through security in less than 5 minutes (3 people in front of us).

As for the strikes, it's anyone guess. I suppose the security could be short staffed so they may close that private security line, but I expect that Virgin probably do pay for the privilege of having that line, so it may get some sort of priority when getting cover. There's also a chance the strikes will be called off! I'll be there again in August so that's what I'm hoping for!

EDIT: It looks like the strikes have been called off: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66001392
#961833 by EstelleB
25 Jun 2023, 15:53
Thanks everyone, quite reassuring, and yes pleased that the strikes have been called off.

Wasn't so pleased at the announcement of train strikes on the day we were travelling down to Heathrow, but have taken the opportunity to move our flights 2 days earlier and have a slightly longer holiday.

Just as an aside, called FC this morning to move our reward flights after checking availability and my time waiting on hold was 5 minutes! No idea what happened to the hours of listening to those same songs over and over, but something seems to have changed!
#961837 by Hev60
26 Jun 2023, 16:49
EstelleB wrote:
Just as an aside, called FC this morning to move our reward flights after checking availability and my time waiting on hold was 5 minutes! No idea what happened to the hours of listening to those same songs over and over, but something seems to have changed!

Wow really pleased to read your positive feedback regarding their prompt answering time. The exact opposite to my experience a few weeks back.

It’s brilliant news that you’ve been able to move your flights and have extra days away too. You must have called at just the right time and got connected to a knowledgeable booking agent rather than an incompetent lying moron ;-)

Enjoy your first experience of using the Upper Class wing. It is a really a lovely way to check it and to start your travels :cool:
Virgin Atlantic