This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961821 by Wenby
23 Jun 2023, 03:12
Hi all,

A super weird scenario!
My gf and I just arrived in JFK from MAN today.
We have some internal flights as well in a few days.
Flying premium so we had 4 suit cases.

We definitely gave the check in 4 suitcases.
We didn't look at the baggage tickets until we arrived at JFK where 1 bag is missing.
Which of course is the bag without a ticket as the 3 suitcases we do have match the tickets we received.

Delta and Virgin at JFK don't know what to do because they have checked and given us screen shots of their system where it clearly only shows the 3 baggage ticket numbers we have.

So I have no ref or claim because the bag doesn't exist. The strangest thing is we recall the exact order we popped each shit case up and it's no 3 out of 4 so it's just like one hasn't been done properly.

The Virgin Atlantic supervisor at JFK is escalating something up but he says they have never seen this before and believes the fault is with Virgin at MAN.
I've got emailed the baggage claim team.

I'm honestly thinking this is a write off because it's like there is no bag to find.
#961822 by matt.hibb
23 Jun 2023, 14:00
This is a tough one; I'd be preparing for the worst.

Regardless of the bag tickets you have in hand, VS will have logged the bags against your booking code. If that is only showing 3 (which is what it sounds like from your description), then the checkin agent at MAN only checked 3 in properly. Maybe they just let it through on the conveyor and forgot to tag it; I've no idea. Most likely, its in an untagged pile at MAN.
#961823 by mitchja
23 Jun 2023, 14:32
Sorry to hear about this :-(

Your bag is likely still at MAN somewhere. You just need to keep pressing VS about this as ultimately this is their fault.

If you have not already done so, fill in a VS missing bag report here.

If it cannot be found, you will need to make a travel insurance claim.

I know this is easy for me to say now; but this is where bag/item trackers do come into their own. These tracking devices are becoming more common and are relatively cheap now.

As I'm in the Apple ecosystem I use both AirTags and Chipolo Find My trackers. I never travel now without these now.

I really really do wish VS would start using the excellent bag tracking system Delta have had for years now via their app. I've pestered VS about this so many times now!!!
#961831 by Wenby
24 Jun 2023, 20:58
Thanks for the advice.
Virgin not being very helpful unfortunately.
Getting all the usual wait 21 days etc.

We asked a friend of a friend who we knew worked at MAN.
Turns out they work for Swissport who are contracted for Virgin's baggage and check in.
In 30 mins they found my suitcase and confirmed it went down on the conveyor belt without any stickers or tags.
We named the individual who checked us in and said this person has messed up other people's baggage at check in before.

Very lucky otherwise this would have gone on for a while.
It's now waiting at JFK but they are really taking their time.
Coming up to 48 hours since we flew out and 24 hours since the suitcase arrived at JFK.

Still no reference number to claim through virgin or on insurance yet though.
#961832 by mitchja
24 Jun 2023, 21:14
Glad you are getting somewhere with this (albeit not via VS directly). Do keep your paper boarding passes as the agents details who checked you in are actually printed on there. It's printed towards the bottom between the barcodes in the format MANxxxxxx/xx. I dont know know if those details are also added internally somewhere to your PNR; I would hope they are for situations like this?

I cant remember, but it probably prints the same agent details on the bag tags as well.

If you have not already done so, I would also raise this as a formal complaint with VS.
#961834 by tontybear
25 Jun 2023, 21:14
If the bag is still at JFK then that's likely because the CBP still have it for them to clear customs and VS can't speed that up.

Once CBP have released it it will be passed to a courrier to get it to you.

Not sure what sort of claim you are expecting to make of VS but they will reimburse cosots for buying essentials that may have been in the case that you needed in the time between landing and actually getting the case. And that's about the limit of their liability.
#961871 by Wenby
30 Jun 2023, 16:21
All sorted now but such a faff and very disruptive to our trip. We can't get over letting a bag down without any tags on it.

The reimbursement for essentials is just too light for items needed for activities and top restaurants in Manhattan.
Just need Virgin to provide what I need to claim on travel insurance that's all.
#961872 by Kraken
30 Jun 2023, 17:17
Glad to hear the OP got this issue resolved. It probably helped no-end that they knew someone ay Swissport who ground handle for Virgin at MAN (& many other out-stations).

I've just fished my boarding pass & bag tag out of the bin from last weeks flight from MCO. Mitchja is right, on the boarding pass I have MCO/2C###/## (hashes used to protect agents identity & the bag-tag just has MCO/## (same letters as the last two hashes, so probably agents initials).

Moral of the story is never leave the check-in desk until you have seen your bags tagged & fed into the system & you've got the receipt. In some US airports - Orlando for one at the Upper Class check-in the agent tags the bag(s) and then there is a much larger agent who puts the bag on the belt so the [normally female] agents don't have to lug heavy bags when people are pushing the 32kg limit in Upper. Orlando were very good & the two receipts were stapled to the back of the pass. Manchester the receipt was just handed to me loose as the flimsy thermal paper boarding passes they use aren't up to much.

And DO make a proper complaint to Virgin about this. I suspect that had you not had a contact at Swissport Virgin would still be fobbing you off. I certainly found my "Swissport experience" at Manchester on the oubound flight to be less than stellar, particularly at the boarding gate itself.
#961907 by Wenby
06 Jul 2023, 17:38
They've responded to the claim and offered full settlement. Which for all the receipts we gave which was a few hundred dollars in excess of the $75 a day guidance. Seems more than reasonable that they are willing to cover it. I'm think I would stop at that unless you guys think I should get some points as sprinkling on top?
Virgin Atlantic